• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which HK USP to go with? 3 deals in progress

So here is the deal. I want to pick up another USP(s).

3 offers I have are:

A. USP .40 fullsize (2006 date code) mint shape, maybe 400 rds through it w/ four 13rd mags for $600 firm, private sale

B. USP .40 fullsize (1994 date code, so older non-polygonal barrel), good shape, more rounds through it though, two 10rd mags, four 13rd mags, and 900 rds of American Eagle FMJ in boxes for $725 firm, private sale

C. Brand new USP 45 Tactical Compact OTD for $1,220, dealer sale

Either way I eventually plan to get a suppressor and if I go that route with A or B I would have to get a threaded barrel which is $280 on top of the gun.

Also i'm worried about "B" seeing as the barrel is the older model. Can I drop in a newer polygonal barrel into it? Is it worth it. Considering B includes 18 boxes of 50 that is like $270 worth of ammo so the gun ends up being $455 w/ 6 mags.

What would you do?

FYI: I currently own a USP 9mm (2005) w/ jet funnel and a USP .40 (1995).

Do they all have same trigger variants?

Purpose for this pistol?

Do you have any other pistols in those calibers?

Personally, I'd do the .45 Tactical Compact

Option A. - It probably has the least round count, this is what I would probably go for. The price is right, too.

Option B - Are you sure its really a non poly barrel? This is the best deal (especially if you dont reload and need the ammo) Is the AE 180 or 165 grain?

Option C- The .45 CT is overpriced and overhyped. Yawn.

If your end-goal is to get a can why not look for a USP Tactical .45 ? The felt recoil will be FAR less than the USP .45 CT (2 stage vs single stage springs) and it will probably cost a lot less. These guns also generally came with the match trigger kit in them, which is a nice touch.

ETA: You already have a USP .40 and you're looking at another one? I'm trying to figure that part out. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm with Mike, are you sure option B is a non-poly barrel? I have a '94 USP full size, and it does in fact have polygonal rifling in the barrel. It also shoots real well, considering it has no less than a few thousand rounds down the barrel. I don't have much skill, and I made this:

166177_1599649476574_1396168431_31502119_640072_n.jpg

That said, I do think option B is the best bang for your buck as well.

Last edited:
Do they all have same trigger variants?

Purpose for this pistol?

Do you have any other pistols in those calibers?

Personally, I'd do the .45 Tactical Compact

I currently have both 40 and .45 pistols so ammo isn't a big deal to me.

Option A. - It probably has the least round count, this is what I would probably go for. The price is right, too.

Option B - Are you sure its really a non poly barrel? This is the best deal (especially if you dont reload and need the ammo) Is the AE 180 or 165 grain?

Option C- The .45 CT is overpriced and overhyped. Yawn.

If your end-goal is to get a can why not look for a USP Tactical .45 ? The felt recoil will be FAR less than the USP .45 CT (2 stage vs single stage springs) and it will probably cost a lot less. These guns also generally came with the match trigger kit in them, which is a nice touch.

ETA: You already have a USP .40 and you're looking at another one? I'm trying to figure that part out. [laugh]

-Mike

Yes, only after 1994 did they come with polygonal barrels. I like the 40s. Real fun to shoot. My favorite out of the three is the USP 45TC then the first USP 40 for overall condition. The USP Tactical 45 new here is only ~$100 less than the USP 45TC so between those i'd rather the compact.

I'm also considering the fact that most 45 ammo is subsonic whereas 40 i'll need to find subsonic ammo.

I have no plans to reload or anything. Only buy factory ammo.

I'm with Mike, are you sure option B is a non-poly barrel? I have a '94 USP full size, and it does in fact have polygonal rifling in the barrel.

I could have sworn it wasn't. Maybe it is pre-94 that doesn't have the barrel. My other thing with that is it is basically the same as my current .40, maybe a bit better overall condition.

Taken from Wikipedia: "USP barrels post-1994 use a polygonal profile, whereas 1994 and earlier models utilize traditional 'land and grooves' rifling."

Last edited:
Yes, only after 1994 did they come with polygonal barrels.

Just because it says KE on the side of it doesn't mean it has a standard barrel. You actually have to look at the gun, because the cutoff was not clean. It is -rare- to find a 94 with standard rifling. See what william_munny wrote above.

The USP Tactical 45 new here is only ~$100 less than the USP 45TC so between those i'd rather the compact.

Having owned both (Well, I had a regular USPc .45, but it's more or less the same damned thing as the CT) the USP Tac is still the better gun, especially if you have no intention of conceal carrying it. The recoil spring will last a hell of a lot longer, too. You're basically paying more money to buy the fanboi gun. You can probably get a decent USP .45 Tactical for under a grand if you look hard enough. IMO shoot both then decide.

I'm also considering the fact that most 45 ammo is subsonic whereas 40 i'll need to find subsonic ammo.

This is true.

I have no plans to reload or anything. Only buy factory ammo.

For a can then, you would be better off with a .45 because of the above. Reloading isn't hard though... straight wall pistol is easy, and it's worth every penny invested.

-Mike

I'm with Mike, are you sure option B is a non-poly barrel? I have a '94 USP full size, and it does in fact have polygonal rifling in the barrel. It also shoots real well, considering it has no less than a few thousand rounds down the barrel. I don't have much skill, and I made this:

166177_1599649476574_1396168431_31502119_640072_n.jpg

Is that your carry piece?

Thanks Mike!

I believe there may have been a USP .45 Tactical at another local shop for maybe a hair over a grand. I'm going to stop there on the way home and see if I am correct. I can't remember if it was a standard USP .45 or the tactical.

If you can swing it get the tactical. Most accurate hand gun I have ever shot!

So here is the deal. I want to pick up another USP(s).
C. Brand new USP 45 Tactical Compact OTD for $1,220, dealer sale

I would go with option C.
1. if you can afford it.
2. if you care about re-sale value.
Or look for a used USP 9 Compact or fullsize, they can be found for around $500 used.
The savings in ammo cost will be substantial.
What I did was buy a new USP 45c for daily carry and a used USP 9c for range practice time. [wink]

Last edited:
I would go with option C.
1. if you can afford it.
2. if you care about re-sale value.
Or look for a used USP 9 Compact or fullsize, they can be found for around $500 used.
The savings in ammo cost will be substantial.
What I did was buy a new USP 45c for daily carry and a used USP 9c for range practice time. [wink]

I already have a full size USP 9mm and a .40.

Thanks to Mike here, I went with option D:

HK USP .45 Tactical. Gun was brand new, previous owner bought it and ended up selling a lot of HKs to the local shop, one of which was this one. Gun has never been fired, it is perfect. Only "flaws" were that it wasn't in the original matching serial # case, only one 10rd mag, and no manual/papers. Serial numbers matched, definitely could tell it never was fired and I got the shop to toss in another 12 rd HK mag for $1k OTD. So the gun was just under $945. Very happy! Now I need to start working on the suppressor paperwork.

Going to go shoot it this weekend at the latest!

233ca04b.jpg

And here is the trio of HKs I have (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45)

fb1bbd52.jpg

James, nice pickup. [cheers] Don't forget to adjust your overtravel stop behind the trigger.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom