Which "Free State" AR to buy?

As I have mentioned, I'm moving to Tennessee shortly. The house is purchased and closed, notice has been given at work, packing has commenced. We roll out of MA on September 20th or 21st, arriving in Jefferson City a few days later. Bud's Gun Shop is 22 minutes from my house. I'll be buying more than one rifle from them VERY shortly after we arrive. All I need to pick up is a Tennessee Driver's License, which will be my first order of business after parking the truck.

I have a couple of AR's (A Windham and an M&P Sport II) and a WASR. I'm NOT adding a caliber, at least not yet. I'm not a smith or builder, have yet to even put a trigger in a gun myself. Tinkering just isn't my thing. I'm going to add another basic WASR just cuz, probably straight stock, not folding. Generics run $6-700 down there. No advice needed there.

Here's the question... WHICH brand of AR should I buy? My Windham is dialed in, shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. Not changing a thing on it. Lady Radtekk's M&P Sport II works well enough for her, she's more of a pistol gal anyway. I want a couple of decent quality, dead nuts reliable AR's I can buy, break in, site in, and put away for "one day". I don't want to spend $1500 on a gun I may shoot a magazine through once a year to "prove zero", or one that's cheap but needs to be maintained every week or parts will mysteriously fall off. So, what's a good, reliable, reasonably accurate (yes, I know the gun is more accurate than the shooter) AR platform gun for decent money? And yes, I'm also familiar with "Buy once, cry once" as a quality philosophy:)

Leave your presumably neutered ARs behind enemy lines in MA...

I suggest keeping your Mass AR just in case you come back to live here. You would not be able to replace it... easily.

"Never say Never..."

My Windham is dialed in, shoots 1" groups at 100 yards.
You could always add a "flash-hider" to your Windham...

On that note, I vote "Class III for Tennessee!"

My only assembled AR I bought after leaving mass is the Springfield Saint with free float barrel. I’ve built 2 other rifles and 3 other pistols in various calibers but I love the Saint AR. Great stock, trigger, accuracy, reliability etc

Recently I handled a Knights Armament SR15 and SR25. If I won the lotto it’s what I’d grab. They were the tits, and they’re owned by someone whose opinion I’d put stock in.

If you want something a little more reasonably priced I have a thing for Colts. The same guy also owns one of those.

If you want something quality that might be even a bit more reasonably priced BCM makes great stuff. Whip up a home brew lower and slap a BCM upper on it and let freedom ring through the Tennessee hills.

I’d probably put the rifles you have away and buy something from Noveske. I’ve never known anybody to regret buying a Noveske.

The Stag 3 Gun elite is a sweet rifle too.

I considered buying both but they were both out of stock at the time. I’m probably going to get a Tavor first now just to get something different.

I recently picked up a Ruger AR556 Moe. Don’t buy one of them. I had to have it replaced because the first one I got had the paint peeling off it. The replacement is fine but it’s only alright.

I have a S&W M&P 15T and I really like it, if that floats your boat.

A buddy of mine has a Sig 516. That’s an awesome rifle. I bought a Sig 716G2 DMR because I liked it so much. In retrospect I should have just gotten the 516.

Hold on to the stuff you got.
Congress goes back to work beginning of September, if the dems in the house start pushing a ban, it may get some steam. Even if one doesnt pass the mere fact they are debating it on the floor people in every state will panic... come late Sept, Oct, you may be shit out of luck finding anything.

I like all the ideas so far. Been looking at Springfield and Colt. One thing that makes it easier for me is that the adjustable stock is less important for me. I do the same thing with car seats, slide it all the way back and hope... To address some comments... I like my Windham, it's set up the way I want it, dialed in, etc. I'd be (reasonably) happy to leave it behind, but by the time I got another one and set it up the way I want it I'd probably lose money even selling it at a "profit". Not out to rape anybody, especially here. Lady Radtekk's M&P Sport isn't available, it was my wedding gift to her. If, God forbid, the "Fit really hits the Shan" all I want to have is spares for friends, neighbors, family, etc. So I'd rather buy 2 good rifles than 1 superb one, I pretty much already have that, or close enough with the Windham. As to making people jelly at the range, my range will be in my backyard on 21 acres outside city limits. "People" will be critters, I don't think they can tell DD from Colt from Sig from Ruger...

My plan regarding Congress and laws is to call Bud's and buy a couple, they'll hold them for 2 months no charge, all I need to do is get to TN, change my MA DL for a TN one, and walk in to pick them up. So I'll probably be buying this weekend:) Moving day is 9/20 and since the house is mine the mortgage company won't know or care if I melt a cc a little[devil2]

As to my WASR, it's been listed for a month in WTS Rifles:
WTS - Pre-Healy BS WASR/AK, mags, ammo, total package!

None of my AR’s are production Rifles, I get them built from A-Z. I use mostly BCM, FN, Aero parts and they run perfectly and are light weight. I’m definitely spending more than $650 which I assume you can get a decent AR for but definitely much less than the stupid prices for some of the other models that are overpriced.

I like all the ideas so far. Been looking at Springfield and Colt. One thing that makes it easier for me is that the adjustable stock is less important for me. I do the same thing with car seats, slide it all the way back and hope... To address some comments... I like my Windham, it's set up the way I want it, dialed in, etc. I'd be (reasonably) happy to leave it behind, but by the time I got another one and set it up the way I want it I'd probably lose money even selling it at a "profit". Not out to rape anybody, especially here. Lady Radtekk's M&P Sport isn't available, it was my wedding gift to her. If, God forbid, the "Fit really hits the Shan" all I want to have is spares for friends, neighbors, family, etc. So I'd rather buy 2 good rifles than 1 superb one, I pretty much already have that, or close enough with the Windham. As to making people jelly at the range, my range will be in my backyard on 21 acres outside city limits. "People" will be critters, I don't think they can tell DD from Colt from Sig from Ruger...

My plan regarding Congress and laws is to call Bud's and buy a couple, they'll hold them for 2 months no charge, all I need to do is get to TN, change my MA DL for a TN one, and walk in to pick them up. So I'll probably be buying this weekend:) Moving day is 9/20 and since the house is mine the mortgage company won't know or care if I melt a cc a little[devil2]

As to my WASR, it's been listed for a month in WTS Rifles:
WTS - Pre-Healy BS WASR/AK, mags, ammo, total package!
if your just looking for a few SHTF rifles
grab a carbine or 3 with in your price point.
I have owned RRA, STAG, Windham, Bushmaster
then a few builds off of Anderson , LMT ectect.

Jesus, they're all the same. Pick one in the configuration you want and buy it. And don't get suckered into paying for a "premium" AR.
[rofl]
You're actually right. There's isn't too much difference between a $700 AR and $2000. The mechanism behind the AR15 on its own means any brand will shoot nicely.

You really think that two ARs are fine for you and the wife? Damn, I could've saved me a lot of dough with that mindset. To me, it works with ARs like it works with women. As soon as I got one, I like all the other ones better.

Get a Noveske.

You won’t regret it.

Research model on m4carbine.net.
I bought a used Noveske from a member here and it was smoother, better finished and more accurate than the one I assembled with a complete BCM uppers and Rock River NM lower kit.

KACs are amazing, the SR15 was the last rifle Eugene Stoner designed, you pay for that quality. If I were you I would buy a LWRC and a good .30 caliber rifle can. I’m a big fan of the Q Thunder Chicken or the DAA Nomad.

Back
Top Bottom