Which finger do you use for the mag release on a handgun?

Which finger?

• Thumb

Votes: 108 72.5%
  • Middle

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Toe

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Weiner

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters
Depending on the pistol, sometimes middle finger, sometimes thumb but often with button releases, the quickest mag drop, as a primarily lefty, I've found was using the trigger finger inside of knuckle to depress (proximal inter joint) and snap the wrist so the mag drops freely just like the tactical people like John Wick do. Makes me feel all tactical an shiet.

wondering what prompted this poll...did one of the cool kids call you out for using a tactically unauthorized appendage for a mag drop?

wondering what prompted this poll...did one of the cool kids call you out for using a tactically unauthorized appendage for a mag drop?
Kind of... I saw people discussing using their thumbs to drop mags and I was bewildered that anyone does that. It ended up with two equally puzzled individuals: one who had no idea anyone used their thumb, and one who had no idea that anyone used any other finger.

I'm a lefty and use my trigger finger (index finger) to release the magazine. It is evidenced by your lack of that choice in your poll of your strong anti-lefty bias. :)
I use my middle/trigger finger
Even with guns with ambi safties. My thumbs are just to short
I dont think theres a pistol out there with a hight mounted mag release I can reach with the thumb with out some over manipulation

Right thumb to half-cock hammer.
Left thumb and index finger to release loading lever latch.
Left thumb to slide rotary mag (aka cylinder) pin forward.
Left thumb coordinates with ring and middle fingers to rotate cylinder (aka rotary mag) clockwise to release.
It's like a beautiful dance but less exhausting.

430c_2_.jpg

I've got to go to a Zoom meeting so I can't read all the replies. I'm trying to figure out how you take your middle finger of your dominant (right) hand and press the mag release on teh left side of the frame.

I'll take Thumb for $1,000, Alex. But I did select Weiner in the choices. Because. . . ??????

Minimal movement required to get my middle finger up just a little to reach the mag release. Meanwhile, my thumb doesn't even come close to reaching, even on a single stack gun.

In order to reach the button with my thumb, I have to rotate the gun quite a bit in my hand - so either I have to change my grip every time I drop the mag and then change it back before shooting, or I permanently change my grip but then it's awkward as hell to shoot AND my hand doesn't contact the gun well on the right side of the grip.

I have no idea how anyone uses their thumb for this...

Then again, I shoot revolvers thumbs forward and my support thumb is well behind the cylinder gap, so I guess I'm just weird.

Minimal movement required to get my middle finger up just a little to reach the mag release. Meanwhile, my thumb doesn't even come close to reaching, even on a single stack gun.

In order to reach the button with my thumb, I have to rotate the gun quite a bit in my hand - so either I have to change my grip every time I drop the mag and then change it back before shooting, or I permanently change my grip but then it's awkward as hell to shoot AND my hand doesn't contact the gun well on the right side of the grip.

I have no idea how anyone uses their thumb for this...

Then again, I shoot revolvers thumbs forward and my support thumb is well behind the cylinder gap, so I guess I'm just weird.
Damn you got some tiny hands/fingers! No offense of course[laugh]
1642007640217.png

It is evidenced by your lack of that choice in your poll of your strong anti-lefty bias. :)
flanders-leftorium.jpg

At least since the question's confined to handguns,
he's not wrong for having left off omitted using a mag
to drop a mag; like in the gross motor skills reload.
travishaley_gross_motor_skill_reload_0.jpg

Next question: which finger(s) do you use to pull the trigger?
FTFY.
young-girl-firing-two-guns.png

Depends on the gun.
My hands are so small that I normally can’t use my thumb without shifting my grip, so when I can, I switch the mag release to lefty and use my trigger finger. Otherwise I just shift my grip and use my thumb. That’s one reason I prefer the European paddle release, I can use either my thumb or my trigger finger on those.

Back
Top Bottom