• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

which eye is dominant?

Ive been shooting for about a yr now and just 2 weeks ago i noticed that i aim with my left eye open and right side closed when shooting a pistol and vice versa when shooting a rifle. Now im not sure which eye is dominant. I am right handed but im sure it doesnt mean im right eye dominant. I believe i am right eye dominant but when i notice this i was using my left eye to shoot pistol and seem to be more accurate. How can i be sure which is my dominant shooting eye?

Arms outstretched, form a small circle with you 2 thumbs and pointy finger. Focus on a distant object with both eyes open, slowly bring the circle to your face keeping the distant object in focus. You should pull the circle to your dominant eye.

1. Extend your arm fully out in front of you (palm away from you).
2. Make an "O" out of your thumb index finder.
3. Find a target/spot on the wall and look at this spot through the "O" you are making with your fingers.
4. Continue to look at this spot and, at the same time, slooooooowly bring your hand back to your eye.
5. What eye did your hand come back to?

Madball13:2192430 said:
Arms outstretched, form a small circle with you 2 thumbs and pointy finger. Focus on a distant object with both eyes open, slowly bring the circle to your face keeping the distant object in focus. You should pull the circle to your dominant eye.

The object should be in the center of the circle when pulled closer to the face correct?

Alternative test to "make a circle": With both eyes open, focus on a distant object. Make a "thumbs up", and cover that object with your thumb.

Without moving either your head or hand, close your right eye. If the object "moves" and you can now see it without your thumb in the way, you're right eye dominant.

Some people don't really have a dominant eye, and can use both equally well. My father, for instance, threw a ball right handed, was a switch hitter but favored left, shot a pistol right handed, rifle either handed (but preferred left), shot a bow right handed but golfed left handed.

Similar to the above suggestion. I make a circle with my thumb and index finger and stretch my arm as far as I can, left or right arm. I bring into focus in the center of the circle an object with both eyes open. Alternate opening and closing each eye. The dominant eye will keep the object in the circle.

The best way is to hold a pencil (eraser out) in front of you, covering a target, now quickly being the pencil back to your eye, the other eye is now your dominant one

Back
Top Bottom