Which Crimson Trace grips for S&W 642?

Prepper

NES Member
Everyone recommends the Crimson Trace grips for S&W 642 and similar J-frames, so I'm going to get one. BUT, there seems to be two choices available:

LG-305:
http://www.crimsontrace.com/default.asp?id=533

LG-405:
http://www.crimsontrace.com/default.asp?id=743

The web site has very little info on how one differs from the other. The 405 looks newer and says something about recoil reduction (sounds good to me as I'm getting quite a recoil from this thing). The 305 looks like it might be slightly larger so I can get a better grip (also sounds good to me... my hands are big). But would larger make it harder to carry in a pocket holster in the front pocket of my pants? Is the size difference enough to really matter? I don't want the butt of the grip protruding out the top of my pocket.

Has anyone tried either/both and have any thoughts on this?

I bought the 642CT and love the feel of the stock 305's. Though I have not shot the 642 with them, I did have the chance to get a feel for the 405's and though I like their concealability a little better, I did not find it had a better feel in my hand. I have big gorilla mitts and the 405's felt less than adequate. I did however have the opportunity to shoot the 642 with the non-CT stock S&W grips after having to send my CT's to S&W for replacement, (missing elevation screw). The stock rubber on the 642 can't hold a candle in my view to the CT-305's in recoil management and overall feel of the weapon in my hands. That, plus the advantage of fast target aquisition make the 305's a winner in my book.

As for concealability, of course the stock non-CT's are the clear winner and the 405's seem to be a more concealable option. However, I have had zero issues concealing the 305's on my 642. Coupled with my Mika round cut, I have zero issues concealing in everything but deep pocket cargo shorts and pants...

There appears to be 4 different CT models.

There is the LG-205, which I have and may be selling shortly. It is highly concealable, doesn't extend below the frame, and is made from a harder material than the LG-305 or -405.

I bought the LG-405 while out at S&W. It's installed on the gun, but I have yet to do anything more than dry fire with it installed. It's a bit softer material and likewise does not extend below the butt.

There is the LG-305 which is less concealable (CT told me that it won't conceal well in a pocket), has a longer grip than the others.

There is a new LG-105 which looks like a re-designed LG-205.

If you are wearing the gun IWB, you should check out the LG-305. If it conceals well for you, it's probably the best bet.

If you carry in the pocket, the other models would be a better choice.

Thanks, sounds like the 405 would be the right choice for concealed carry. I'll place an order for that later tonight unless someone replies with additional info that makes me change my mind. :)

Hey LenS
PM me when you are ready to sell your CT grips. I have been looking for a set and too cheap to shell out for the new ones!
Thanks
Joe

There appears to be 4 different CT models.

There is the LG-205, which I have and may be selling shortly. It is highly concealable, doesn't extend below the frame, and is made from a harder material than the LG-305 or -405.

I bought the LG-405 while out at S&W. It's installed on the gun, but I have yet to do anything more than dry fire with it installed. It's a bit softer material and likewise does not extend below the butt.

There is the LG-305 which is less concealable (CT told me that it won't conceal well in a pocket), has a longer grip than the others.

There is a new LG-105 which looks like a re-designed LG-205.

If you are wearing the gun IWB, you should check out the LG-305. If it conceals well for you, it's probably the best bet.

If you carry in the pocket, the other models would be a better choice.

The answer depends on what you plan to do with the gun. I have the smallest hard plastic ones on mine, they don't have a permanent on/off switch, just the button in front of the grip. They are perfect for concealed carry because my clothes don't get stuck to the grips. I used to have softer rubber Uncle Mikes grip but it kept grabbing onto my shirt if in the waistband, or pants if in an ankle holster. It was a pain. The plastic CT grips work great. Yeah, it's a bit harder to shoot, but the plan is to carry it a lot, and shoot it a little so I'm ok with it.
-Cuz.

I just placed the order for the 405's. If it turns out I don't like them, I'll get the 305's and put the 405's up for sale here. Cheapest price I found was $230 with shipping so I went with that.

Back
Top Bottom