• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which course for my daughter to take and Me too

My daughter turns 21 in march. She has been shooting with me off and on since she was 12 and I feel she is a safe shooter. Now, she wants to apply for her LTC on her birthday so that means a class this winter would be best. I have had my LTC for over 30 years, I've been interested in the Utah permit class that I have seen offered on these boards. The question is, Should the two of us just take the Utah course? Will it provide my Daughter with the paperwork and training needed for Massachusetts requirements? I just want to spend my money wisely here and only spend it once. What is our best option?

Thank you in advance..

The Utah permit will make it legal to carry in 30 states, not sure which states are listed but if you travel
a lot and want to carry this is a great option.

Thank you to all those who offered suggestions to my question. There are a couple options here that I will look into. Looks like a gift certificate for her course will be in her stocking this year.

Thanks Folks!

Why take the Utah class when you can just take any MA class that includes live fire and then get the FL non-res (with no additional class required) and be good in most of the same states, plus Florida? The Utah class doesn't make any sense to me for MA people who have to take the MA class anyway, unless you happen to spend time in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

MA resident license plus FL non-resident license works in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

MA resident license plus UT non-resident license works in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

You actually get more states with the FL non-res and there's no additional training hoops to jump through. If you did UT instead of FL you'd gain Minnesota and Wisconsin but you'd lose Florida, Kansas, and New Mexico.

Last edited:
I would recomend Down Range Firearms in Woburn Mass. I brought my daughter for general Firearm / Gun class for State Police Certificate. Matt Devito was interisting, and very detailed, and a sense of humor.

Might even work a deal with you for been an NES member.

Look them up on Instructors. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom