• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which coating ?

Twigg

NES Member
The factory finish on my Colt 1991Govt is wearing thin. I've been considering either Cerakote or NP3.
Are there any advantages to either ? Disadvantages ? Is there a big difference in cost ?

The pistol runs like a top and has been rock solid dependable for me. I run about 200 rounds a month through this so I'd like a very durable finish. This is my primary carry gun so I'm not looking for fancy colors. Flat or matt black will do fine.

NP3 is really tough stuff - basically you're going one step beyond chroming it. http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm Plus it reduces part-to-part friction and they guarantee it "against corrosion, peeling or flaking for the lifetime of the firearm." Can't recommend it enough.

I have had such good luck with hard chrome that it is the only finish I will use. The durability of this finish is so good that I am afraid to post the results I have witnessed, lest I be viewed as a liar.

Kahr uses Ion-Bond (they call it DLC) on their black slides. I have a PM9 with it and it's very nice. That said, I've heard great things about NP3 also.

Kahr uses Ion-Bond (they call it DLC) on their black slides. I have a PM9 with it and it's very nice. That said, I've heard great things about NP3 also.

S&W also currently use Ion Bond on their stainless steel cylinders, when the gun has a dark Scandium frame, including the Night Guard series.

I've looked at Ion-Bond for a while, to make one of my stainless guns black. But cost is an issue, and I'm reluctant to ship my handguns across the country.

Back
Top Bottom