Which brass to stay away from

I check all my reloads in one of my barrels after reloading. I'm loading using a Dillon 550b and I've been noticing that 1 out of about every 30 9mm reloads is a bulged case they're typically headstamped WCC. Are there any other stamps I should stay away from?

Check the cases for bulges before you size them. I once had a bunch of range pickups from a USPSA match that were badly bulged near the case head. I suspect they were 9mm Major loads (basically very high-velocity loads not meant for typical 9mm guns) that were being extracted from the chamber while the chamber pressure was still high. The bulge was so bad even after running them through the sizing die they were unusable. Once I realized what was going on I dumped the rest of them. It was Starline brass so it was definitely high-quality.

EDIT: Here's a picture. The two cases on the left were sized, the two on the right were not sized.

9GfxZz4.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
When I read the thread title, my first thought was, I know some brass that you'd want to stay away from! Let's see, at Camp Lejeune, avoid Lt. Col. Garcia and at Camp Pendleton, avoid....

Plus 1 on this ! The crimp die makes sure the round is sized properly by taking any unwanted bulge out of it. I tried to get one for my stomach.......!

The Lee FCD die will not remove a bulge at the base of the case. The undersized die will work on brass that has been fired once. The problem is the chamber size and shape and the pressure generated by the round. I have been dealing with this problem for years without much success. The next stop is a case roller.

The Lee FCD die will not remove a bulge at the base of the case. The undersized die will work on brass that has been fired once. The problem is the chamber size and shape and the pressure generated by the round. I have been dealing with this problem for years without much success. The next stop is a case roller.

good point, I missed his post about it being bulged at the base. I was thinking bulged/buckled case during seating.

As far as brands go, I have had nothing but trouble with S&B (Seiler and Belliot?) 9mm brass and avoid it like the plague.

I use a Lee "bulge buster" on 40 S&W brass that has been Glocked. It's used together with a Lee FCD. The FCD internal parts are removed and the brass is pushed completely through the FCD.
Brass repaired in this manner is recommended NOT to be fired again in an unsupported chamber.

Make sure the de cap die is adjusted so it just about touches the shell plate.

That way it's sizing the whole case and not just 3/4 of it.

And don't pick up any 9mm brass shot from my open glock.

Back
Top Bottom