Which bolt rifle should I get? Opinions...

I have the MVP in .308 and love it. Does what I want it to do. However it was sort of a impulse buy and it was on the wall at my LGS. If I did it again I would go Savage in .300RUM because I am a sadist to my shoulder.

I like the Burris Signature rings. You want the lowest height ring that allows the bell to clear the barrel. Get the pack of offset inserts. Center the turret and make as much elevation adjustment as possible with the inserts. The best part of the glass is in the center.
Scope magnification depends on usage. High magnification is a godsend for a rifle that is shot off bags, and a curse when shot free hand.
There are some fabulous peices of glass out there, but for a casual shooter at short to medium distances with a modest recoiling gun an intermediate grade scope will get it done.

I like the Burris Signature rings. You want the lowest height ring that allows the bell to clear the barrel. Get the pack of offset inserts. Center the turret and make as much elevation adjustment as possible with the inserts. The best part of the glass is in the center.
Scope magnification depends on usage. High magnification is a godsend for a rifle that is shot off bags, and a curse when shot free hand.
There are some fabulous peices of glass out there, but for a casual shooter at short to medium distances with a modest recoiling gun an intermediate grade scope will get it done.

Cool thanks. The gun was 670 and was thinking I would spend 4-500 on a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have been finding myself drawn to a 556 bolt rifle. I actually never liked the idea or saw the need for it, but the heart wants what the heart wants ha. Anyone have one? Curious for your usage scenarios for it? I have always gone 308 on bolts.

So I have been finding myself drawn to a 556 bolt rifle. I actually never liked the idea or saw the need for it, but the heart wants what the heart wants ha. Anyone have one? Curious for your usage scenarios for it? I have always gone 308 on bolts.

I liked the idea of the Mossberg because of the AR mag compatibility but then i realized it's not really a big deal for bench shooting and you probably can't have more than 3 or 4 round mags for hunting. I'm a huge fan of Savage rifles so I'd probably go that route.

I have never been disappointed with a Savage rifle. The Accutrigger is great, they make quality barrels and one thing I don’t think that has been mentioned is that the design of the Model 10 (and the Axis) allows Savage to very easily and very precisely set headspace. This is important when trying to build an accurate rifle.

Well you know how they say a good pairing with a 357 revolver is a lever gun that shoots it...was wondering if you had an AR-15 would a bolt action in 556 add similar value? Trying to find what niche it fills.

If your going to just target shoot inside 600 yards 223 is not a bad choice. It's inexpensive and easy to reload for.
It's also pretty forgiving.

For 100 yds or less you might consider a CZ 455. 22lr may not have the pleasing boom of the centerfire, but it's one whole heck of lot cheaper to shoot. The CZs can be fantastically accurate with the ammo it likes.

Yes I ordered the Savage! In the future I may get a Tikka too based on what I have been reading but happy for now. Will likely be a month or two before I get it out with school, etc., starting up again and it gets busy. However I will certainly provide a report...on the hunt for a scope next week.

If it is like my savage, at the end of the bolt is a big flathead screw. Do NOT loosen it up....it is a bitch to get back together! lol first thing i did was take it all apart to clean, and it was not intuitive at all how to put it back together. thank god for youtube.

Well you know how they say a good pairing with a 357 revolver is a lever gun that shoots it...was wondering if you had an AR-15 would a bolt action in 556 add similar value? Trying to find what niche it fills.
Don't discredit the dusty guns on the local shop rack.

You might want to google around about the mag seating and feeding issues with the MVP. There are quite a few YouTube videos about MVP's with problems.
No issues with mine but I will 100% admit Pmags are MUCH smoother, and cheaper than factory mags. I use old M1A mags for mine too.

Back
Top Bottom