Which AR15 Armorers Tool and Accessories do you recommend?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
As indicated on another thread I'm going to be swapping out a barrel on my AR15. With that said which Armorers Tool and accessories do you recommend to successfully complete the job? I've watched a few videos online on how to do this and it seems relatively simple, but they don't go into all the tools and accessories you need. Want to make sure I have everything before I start.

Thanks

A bench-mounted vise, a Geissele reaction rod, a good torque wrench, the wrench flat for your barrel nut or an AR armorer's wrench if using a standard barrel nut, and some silver anti-size.

Though if you're not planning on doing this ever again, the reaction rod might be too much of an investment. Damn nice tool to have for this job, though! The cheaper Brownells copy might work for a job or two. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx There's also the magpul bev block: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...5-m4-sku100015280-72951-145586.aspx?rrec=true

You need something to hold the upper receiver in place, and the kind that engage the barrel extension are the best for this job.

i'd be better to take it to someone and be done with it......

Why? It's not difficult to change a barrel. The problem is that once you do it, you get addicted to it just like building out lowers and all of a sudden you're ordering parts to build more uppers.

Oh, you probably will need a wrench for the muzzle device, a set of roll pin punches, and a set of allen wrenches depending on how your gas block is secured. If you were smart, you picked a barrel that is already dimpled for a set screw or prepped for a roll pin.

I don't f*** around with drilling barrels. Dimpling for a gas block is either done already or I have a gunsmith do it. Same thing for a pin & weld on the muzzle device.

well, if it's a one time thing why go through the expense to assemble the tools. the armorers wrench not so much, but a decent torque wrench can be expensive, even more so if it's going to lay around and never be used again. you also need a decent workspace and vise. it's a pain in the ass, my opinion.

of my builds, i took 2 to that place in peabody, forget the name, sorry. walked in with the barrels and uppers and he did it while i waited, ~ 1/2 hour for what i considered short money. less than the torque wrench i'd never use again. just sayin'.

well, if it's a one time thing why go through the expense to assemble the tools. the armorers wrench not so much, but a decent torque wrench can be expensive, even more so if it's going to lay around and never be used again. you also need a decent workspace and vise. it's a pain in the ass, my opinion.

of my builds, i took 2 to that place in peabody, forget the name, sorry. walked in with the barrels and uppers and he did it while i waited, ~ 1/2 hour for what i considered short money. less than the torque wrench i'd never use again. just sayin'.

How much did he charge you, out of curiosity?

As indicated on another thread I'm going to be swapping out a barrel on my AR15. With that said which Armorers Tool and accessories do you recommend to successfully complete the job? I've watched a few videos online on how to do this and it seems relatively simple, but they don't go into all the tools and accessories you need. Want to make sure I have everything before I start.

Thanks
If your local enough I will let you borrow my vise block and wrench.

i'd be better to take it to someone and be done with it......
This depends,
How much you are willing to spend on tools that you may not use again.
You dont need to get to crazy on tools.
By far the best AR combo wrench i have used over the past 12 plus years
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/ongoing-group-buy-ar15-308-armorers-wrench.209260/
you should have at least one of these.

I picked one of these up years ago and it works fine. Will not fit billet uppers though.
ProMag Armorer's Upper & Lower Receiver AR-15 Action Block Set
decent set of punches, allen wrenches or even just the entry level wheeler bit driver set will get you through this.
My first AR build I did with mostly home made tools.

A clamp on vise is plenty good enough
https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-...ocphy=9003363&hvtargid=pla-435231456629&psc=1
as mentioned if you need to remove welded muzzle devices, you need drills and cutting tools.
Or very stubborn front sight base pins .....good punches and solid bench and bench blocks go a long way.
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Non-...t+ben+h+block&qid=1565184453&s=gateway&sr=8-6
Or be creative and find some chunks of hard wood and make some custom blocks and such.
Also your gitRdun mentality might come into play.
Before i had a bench i bolted my vise to a piece of 2x8 and screwed that to a piece of 3/4 ply 2' square that i C clamped to kitchen table. Also was my reloading bench.

Then if you seen my current crevis of a work shop and my "fold away ironing board " work bench you would think WTF.
i have ditched the foldaway bench with future plans to make a more useful yet small bench.

Last edited:
This depends,
How much you are willing to spend on tools that you may not use again.
You dont need to get to crazy on tools.
By far the best AR combo wrench i have used over the past 12 plus years
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/ongoing-group-buy-ar15-308-armorers-wrench.209260/
you should have at least one of these.

If someone would make a MOLLE pouch for this wrench, I'd put in on my plate carrier and use it as a secondary weapon. I think it weighs as much as my vise.

Geissele has a tool that makes installing triggers a piece of cake. Alhtough you may be able to get by with just a short rod of the correct diameter.

If you plan on removing any gas blocks that are held on with taper pins get some short high quality punches. And be positive sure which way to drive them out.

A big question is what type of handguard do you have? Does it use the original style delta ring and barrel nut? Or does it have a proprietary barrel nut? Unique handguards like Larue will require a strap wrench too.

But basically these tools if the barrel already has the barrel nut over it and the gas block installed:

- bench vise (can actually be done with other means like c-clamps and leverage, but it makes for proper torquing difficult)
- torque wrench
- AR-15 armorer’s wrench for the regular barrel nut (people have shared preferences in this thread for a version of this)
- AR-15 vise block set
- lithium barrel nut grease

If you also need to remove/install a gas block:
- plastic/brass small mallet
- pin punch set
-Allen wrenches (gas block may come with one)

For the muzzle device:
- adjustable wrench (if you got the AR15 armorers wrench for the barrel nut, it should also have a wrench slot for this)
- new crush washer

Geissele has a tool that makes installing triggers a piece of cake. Alhtough you may be able to get by with just a short rod of the correct diameter.

That little rod with the ball at the end is a lifesaver when installing triggers.

That little rod with the ball at the end is a lifesaver when installing triggers.
When doing repeat work or work for others specialty tools are nice but for trigger pins a bullet tip does the job getting them moving.

When doing repeat work or work for others specialty tools are nice but for trigger pins a bullet tip does the job getting them moving.

Oh yeah, but that tool is helpful to keep the trigger aligned while you put the pin back in. Definitely not necessary, and an Allen wrench of about the same size is decent at it too. But geissele triggers come with the tool and I decided to keep that tool in my box.

For a one-time thing, just hook up with someone who has all the good tools, and put your money into good parts.

As a thank-you for using his tools, buy Rocksett or Loctite 620 retaining compound (and primer) and some extra moly grease, and leave the extra behind for your buddy's tool box. He'll be happy to have it--and glad you came by.

Maybe also bring a high-quality pizza.

Last edited:
I need something for the barrel install. I've done it with just an upper clamp. Don't like it. I'm afraid of putting all that torque on it.
My question:
Magpul BEV Block, about $50. Anybody have any opinions?
Reaction Rod, about double the price... I know this is the probably the best.
Basically for a few installs/disassemblies for myself.
Anybody who has used the BEV block think that this is a good way to go for this purpose?

An ejector removal tool, a quality 1/16 punch, and a set of headspace gauges for each caliber you own.

So many people out there build ARs but can't even perform a headspace check its ridiculous.

I need something for the barrel install. I've done it with just an upper clamp. Don't like it. I'm afraid of putting all that torque on it.
My question:
Magpul BEV Block, about $50. Anybody have any opinions?
Reaction Rod, about double the price... I know this is the probably the best.
Basically for a few installs/disassemblies for myself.
Anybody who has used the BEV block think that this is a good way to go for this purpose?
The reaction rod is definitely the best way to do it. I've use the upper clamshell plenty of times as well and haven't had any issues. Never used the BEV block but it has positive reviews.

Last edited:
An ejector removal tool, a quality 1/16 punch, and a set of headspace gauges for each caliber you own.

So many people out there build ARs but can't even perform a headspace check its ridiculous.
That was my next question...
Anybody recommend a good headspace gauge set?
Or is something like this from brownell's fine?

That was my next question...
Anybody recommend a good headspace gauge set?
Or is something like this from brownell's fine?
Clymer is fine. Most of mine are from them.

I'd like a reaction rod, but the upper clamshell has worked well with a decent vise. That armorer's tool I got through NES is truly excellent, but the Blackhawk and Tapco ones worked fine, too. it's not really a specialty tool required kind of rifle, it's just easier with them.

Back
Top Bottom