• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which AR?

For an AR-15 - Please Share your Pro's and Con's on the following Brands and which you would prefer. These are the brands that most frequently trickle into my local dealer:

Smith & Wesson M&P
STAG
DPMS
Bushmaster

Thanks,

Chris

For an AR-15 - Please Share your Pro's and Con's on the following Brands and which you would prefer. These are the brands that most frequently trickle into my local dealer:

Smith & Wesson M&P
STAG
DPMS
Bushmaster

Thanks,

Chris

I own a Stag and absolutly love it. No issues at all, feeds beautifully and puts the bullet where I want it to go as long as I do my part. It has the M4 ramps but they don't extend beyond the lugs - i.e. not into the upper itself like some do. It's never been an issue for me nor have I heard of any FTF issues.

I like bushmaster the best in complete rifles, As for lower recievers strtipped I don't think its to much of A differance. I have all 4 mentioned also RRA, colt, and rogio. but for the price and quality I like bushy the best let's see how other people weigh in (competition AR15 Glen Zediker vol.2 claims that bushmaster is one of the best in production rifles.He uses DPMS for his builds.

Last edited:
Build one from the ground up. In the long run you'll be much happier having one customized to your exact wants/needs and you'll know the gun inside and out.

Wolfhook,

I'd rather buy a complete rifle simply because I want something very basic, not too concerned about all the bells and whistles. As far as knowing the weapon inside and out, as per standard practice, I will completely tear it down and reassemble to ensure I know how it works.

Chris

Buy the parts and then you only have to put it together.[wink] I have a Stag LH upper on a NES lower. Very sweet shooter.

The Smith is an outstanding gun. It's also about 200-300 more then the others. It depends on what you're using it for and what kind of shooter you are.

The Smith is an outstanding gun. It's also about 200-300 more then the others. It depends on what you're using it for and what kind of shooter you are.

I disagree with the "using/kind of shooter" statement. The benefits of Smith have to do in the area of reliability. Could the op save 200 and buy a DPMS only to find out later it has a .223 chamber instead of 5.56 and have the gas key come loose?
I would say for beginners, who know nothing about AR's a solid, reliable gun is the best. This way they spend more time shooting it then posting questions on forums trying to troubleshoot it.

Kind of shooter? Purpose?

Want to be able to put 5.56-NATO reliably down range with good to very good accuracy at 100-200 (max) yards.

Reliability would be the #1 feature.

1. It's not my chart. The author is Rob Sloyer.
2. Check out this thread:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33194
3. To do the old car thing:
As an unfortunate GM owner, I feel that equating DPMS with a GM is an insult! :)
S&W is upper midrange of AR's the top of the line - Lexus/BMW/Mercedes - are Colt, LMT, Noveske and Daniel Defense for complete rifles - in no particular order. FYI, Four seasons had MA compliant LMT's at some point, but they are priced at that level.
Bravo Company (BCM) makes very high quality uppers - if you want to attach an upper to an existing lower.

1. It's not my chart. The author is Rob Sloyer.
2. Check out this thread:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33194
3. To do the old car thing:
As an unfortunate GM owner, I feel that equating DPMS with a GM is an insult! :)
S&W is upper midrange of AR's the top of the line - Lexus/BMW/Mercedes - are Colt, LMT, Noveske and Daniel Defense for complete rifles - in no particular order. FYI, Four seasons had MA compliant LMT's at some point, but they are priced at that level.
Bravo Company (BCM) makes very high quality uppers - if you want to attach an upper to an existing lower.

[rofl] at GM comment.

Smith and Wesson, hands down.
Look at the chart: The AR comparison chart

+1

Of the rifles mentioned, the others don't hold a candle to the new M&P. The M&P is as close to spec as you're going to get out of all the models you listed anyway. Still, I can't help but to agree with others about putting your own together. Everything on/in my rifle is top shelf. However, if instant gratification and an uber-reliable, close to spec rifle is what you seek, go S&W and be a happy camper...

Yes, all those brands are.

I'd say you'll be fine with all four brands. DPMS would be my last choice, but even their rifles are pretty good.

Are the S&W M&P's designed to handle 5.56 NATO?
The question is not about being "designed" but about having a chamber that has true 5.56 dimensions. What some makers do, is they mark the barrel as 5.56 while in reality the chamber is .223. The chart shows what the companies advertise, since the only way to find out if it's a .223 chamber on a barrel marked 5.56 is to run a reamer through it and see if any material comes out.
The problem happens when you use 5.56 ammo in a .223 chambered rifle. It may work, or it may result in a cornucopia of stoppages/issues, etc....
I also disagree with the "get any AR" and go from there. My philosophy is this: Why buy something that is known to be substandard and then having to trade up if things go South, when you can afford and know of a better quality item.

In my humble opinion all four of those brands would be a wise choice. I feel that S&W has a little bit better quality of the four. But at the presence state things if you can find one a reasonable price, buy it, no matter the brand.

LaRue Tactical is the Lamborghini of AR’S

Just my two cents

This may be a ridiculous question, and forgive me for not being very knowledgeable on AR's, but is it possible to get one from FN? I never hear them mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom