Which agency turned in all these G17 Gen2 Glocks?

Rutland , in the oppressive Republic of Massachuse
I just picked one up today. Mine has plenty of holster wear, but is like new on the inside. I think that it has depleted tritium sights and the sn ends with us, but only on the metal sn tag.
I'm looking forward to shooting it. I want to find out what all this Glock popularity is all about. I've been a 1911/BHP guy for a long time!

Popularity? They are the Toyota of guns, except for .40's with the bullet setback issue that can be disastrous ( google Glock KABOOM) they will pretty much go BANG every time you pull the trigger.

the 17's, with a 17 round magazine and a +2 extender gives you 20 rounds with one in the pipe. They also take the G18 33 round magazines.

They were an affordable high capacity reliable semi automatic that was adopted by many departments who were coming out of S&W Model 10 revolvers, and Glock sold them to police departments for next to nothing.

Lots of accessories for them, especially the railed versions.

They are low maintenance.

The downside... they like jacketed ammo, the stock barrel will lead foul with unjacketed reloads.

Nice guns, certainly not worth the MA Idiot tax that is on them, they are/were a sub 500 dollar gun for a reason, to pay a premium for one is stupid.

The first 3 of the SN can tell you the manufacturing date.... it could be as early as 1988 or as late as 1998.

Most of the ones I've looked at had NY triggers but for the price you can't go wrong.

It is very easy to replace the NY trigger with a stock one, look at YouTube videos. Glock use to offer a service to refinish slides but I'm not up on the current status.

Get a Gen 2, take it apart and clean it, replace the NY trigger and refinish it if you are picky and you are good to go. I think the different gens are just a marketing gimmick to sell new models.

Glock is popular because it's a porcelain gun from Germany. It doesn't show up on airport x-ray machines and it costs more than you earn in a month*.

*The Glock 7 model.

You'd be surprised. . . yada yada. LOL

Of course the internals look fine. It's a Glock. What wear are you gonna get???? I mean, you can replace the guts for cheap money if you really needed to. But they don't take wear and tear that much. Maybe a spring or two on occasion.

Maybe some army in Whereeveristan or something upgraded their arsenal from circa 1997 pistols to 2019 pistols.

I took my first Glock armorer's course in the 80s and really nothing much has changed since it's a plug and play weapon with a plethora of enhancement parts everywhere.

You'd be surprised. . . yada yada. LOL

Of course the internals look fine. It's a Glock. What wear are you gonna get???? I mean, you can replace the guts for cheap money if you really needed to. But they don't take wear and tear that much. Maybe a spring or two on occasion.

Maybe some army in Whereeveristan or something upgraded their arsenal from circa 1997 pistols to 2019 pistols.

Maybe a new barrel, depending on if it was military and people had to ammo dump regularly to keep up numbers.

It is very easy to replace the NY trigger with a stock one, look at YouTube videos. Glock use to offer a service to refinish slides but I'm not up on the current status.

Get a Gen 2, take it apart and clean it, replace the NY trigger and refinish it if you are picky and you are good to go. I think the different gens are just a marketing gimmick to sell new models.
There is actually a bunch of differences between the gen 2 and the gen 5.... mag well flare, different barrel, rail, internals are different, to name a few of the top of my head.....

Yup, stupid easy to do. Pop out the pins, pull the old trigger assembly, drop in new one, pound pins back in and you're good to go.

I shat the Glock yesterday. It definitely hits what you put the sights on. Dry firing I had no problem going only to trigger reset, but live firing was challenging for me not to go back to Glocky safe mode. More trigger time should fix that. As expected, it ate everything that was fed to it. I used some 130pf loads for my pcc, some factory 115gr Cabelas ammo, and some really hot stuff for my open gun. It shot everything well, which I did not expect. I think that I will upgrade the trigger and then shoot the hell out of it. Maybe use it for 3gun. I just have to get some preban mags for it.
Cool gun though.

I shat the Glock yesterday. It definitely hits what you put the sights on. Dry firing I had no problem going only to trigger reset, but live firing was challenging for me not to go back to Glocky safe mode. More trigger time should fix that. As expected, it ate everything that was fed to it. I used some 130pf loads for my pcc, some factory 115gr Cabelas ammo, and some really hot stuff for my open gun. It shot everything well, which I did not expect. I think that I will upgrade the trigger and then shoot the hell out of it. Maybe use it for 3gun. I just have to get some preban mags for it.
Cool gun though.
How long before you could sit down?

There is actually a bunch of differences between the gen 2 and the gen 5.... mag well flare, different barrel, rail, internals are different, to name a few of the top of my head.....

In terms of point-shoot, there isn't much. The trigger is the same feel. The angle is the same. Controls are the same. Glock has added (and then gotten rid of, in some cases) design features over the years, but the basic click-BANG hasn't changed a bit.

Thankfully, with all of their minor changes, they haven't pulled a Colt 1971 and Series 80.

Glocks are most popular because it's easiest gun model to rhyme in rap lyrics.

Hence the reason you don't have as many female wrappers. Hard to rhyme guns. . . or anything with Bugina.

How long before you could sit down?

It's like that Jamaican Cannibal band and their #1 hit I Shat The Sheriff.

Lol, but no. None of those guns will ever have been fired enough to wear out the barrel.

-Mike

I agree it is unlikely that a barrel will be shot out, but without the benefit of confirmation of rounds, it wouldn't hurt to potentially replace the barrel out of an abundance of caution if the intent is to carry as your daily driver. Even if it has 200k rounds through it (extreme example), it will still fire and be safe, but may be out of spec for best accuracy. And considering they can be had for as low as $50., it isn't going to exactly break the bank for that piece of mind.

I agree it is unlikely that a barrel will be shot out, but without the benefit of confirmation of rounds, it wouldn't hurt to potentially replace the barrel out of an abundance of caution if the intent is to carry as your daily driver. Even if it has 200k rounds through it (extreme example), it will still fire and be safe, but may be out of spec for best accuracy. And considering they can be had for as low as $50., it isn't going to exactly break the bank for that piece of mind.

It won't break the bank, but a VAST majority of pistol shooters could never even approach the accuracy capability of even a shitty pistol barrel lol

It won't break the bank, but a VAST majority of pistol shooters could never even approach the accuracy capability of even a shitty pistol barrel lol

This is true. Maybe keep the old barrel and blame bad groupings on it? lol. "Yeah, this thing probably has 300k rounds through it and shoots like garbage (total lie, it's the shooter)".

This is true. Maybe keep the old barrel and blame bad groupings on it? lol. "Yeah, this thing probably has 300k rounds through it and shoots like garbage (total lie, it's the shooter)".

Hahaha. Right? Then they proceed to go shoot an 6" group at 7 yards with new barrel. SEE? I was shooting 7" groups with old barrel!!

Glocks are most popular because it's easiest gun model to rhyme in rap lyrics.

A Glock on Jenny from the Block.
5lfuwvd3r4431.jpg

Back
Top Bottom