Which 9mm jhp should i buy?

My lc9s can shoot +p , and i think my berreta 92 may not be able to handle it due to slide breaking problem.

Regarding the 92, you‘ll go through at least 20 locking blocks and 100 recoil springs before that slide breaks. And even IF it breaks, the oversized hammer pin will keep the slide from separating rearward….other pistols have no such designs.

im a smidge biased :cool:

FWIW, you can come see me and roll your own HSTs, GDHPs, V-Crowns, Lehigh XD, Inceptor ARX, etc. or bring your factory fodder and test-fire onsite into whatever medium that you provide. Do this before the weather becomes too miserable of course. Lucky Gunner has done extensive testing on many JHPs, but who knows what variables will occur during your life/death scenario...

Added: Nobody tests the Berry's Hybrid HP, to my knowledge, but my limited water-filled milk jug testing with the 185gr (.45 Auto) and 180gr (10mm Auto) revealed the following (again, nothing indicative of your results):
very nice offer to invite me over,thank u. Too bad i need to take a class on reloading first before i top by your place, probally next summer if i have all my stuff together,ill made it worth your time. Man that a nice 10mm jhp slug.

very nice offer to invite me over,thank u. Too bad i need to take a class on reloading first before i top by your place, probally next summer if i have all my stuff together,ill made it worth your time. Man that a nice 10mm jhp slug.
I will assist/instruct you with the reloading, you just need to get here. You might want to bring your own primers, as my inventories are light. (Expect to be moving overseas around Spring, so don't wait til summer).

I will assist/instruct you with the reloading, you just need to get here. You might want to bring your own primers, as my inventories are light. (Expect to be moving overseas around Spring, so don't wait til summer).
Ok, cut off day before weather get too bad at your place boss? I need to get the ball rolling on this reloading stuff fast

My carry amo is all Spear Gold Dot.
Mine is generic.
gkml9oy5h0b71.jpg

Their product in 9mm is something like this:
13aa41de2024dea8054a15fa4f29f2c7.jpg

I carry a cheap lc9s, and it will choke on any ammo with short overall leght.

Perhaps rather than ammo for that pistol, you might put that birthday money toward a new and less finicky pistol. Happy birthday by the way. [thumbsup]

As for me in 9mm I have committed to two choices (well three sort of).
I have nearly a case Federal HST mostly 124gr but some 147gr.
I have about half a case of Speer Gold Dot in 115gr which is a surprisingly good performer comparing well to their 124gr and 124gr +P offerings.

But I also have two 50 round boxes of 147gr Winchester Ranger T-Series (RA9T)

I've never carried the RA9T I just carry the photo from the Lucky Gunner test, figuring that if I show it to a potential assailant it ought to be enough to scare the shit out of them.
3IzNT7K.png

🐯

Last edited:
Most 'gun guys' would say either Gold Dot, HST or Ranger. I prefer 124 grain and something in +P. Used to carry Golden Saber 9mm bonded in 124 grain +P but HST is so much cheaper per round and just as 'good'.

Perhaps rather than ammo for that pistol, you might put that birthday money toward a new and less finicky pistol. Happy birthday by the way. [thumbsup]

As for me in 9mm I have committed to two choices (well three sort of).
I have nearly a case Federal HST mostly 124gr but some 147gr.
I have about half a case of Speer Gold Dot in 115gr which is a surprisingly good performer comparing well to their 124gr and 124gr +P offerings.

But I also have two 50 round boxes of 147gr Winchester Ranger T-Series (RA9T)

I've never carried the RA9T I just carry the photo from the Lucky Gunner test, figuring that if I show it to a potential assailant it ought to be enough to scare the shit out of them.
3IzNT7K.png

🐯
Was thinking about new ccw, may be next year. For now it more important to get jhp ammo, instead of getting a cake am getting a case of 9mm ammo lol,it a good bd 4 me🤗 .i do have a sp101 in .357, that one run good, just that it heavy and i carry it when am out hiking.

Here my other bd gift, gucci wallet from the wife 😎, look like i been a good boy. Too bad this wallet will be empty most of the time lol.

Attachments

• 20211114_143339.jpg
    20211114_143339.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 18
The Lucky Gunner site seems to have done some very good testing. That said, what I've found searching over the years is that the "cheap" JHP's don't open up well, and frequently perform like FMJ. I stick with "top" brand name ammo (Hornady, Winchester, Speer, Remington) in the higher-grade JHP's (not just JPH's in "White box" or "Green and White box" stuff.). Currently using some older Gold Dots, but with a small stash of Hornady Critical Duty on hand for backup. Some of it has come from reading articles; some from watching where testers use different mediums to test the bullets (On Youtube); some from shooting in the winter and recovering bullets from the snow. YMMV.

This S&B 124gn looks interesting... and cost-effective for self-defense. (.52 cents per round $25.75 per box)
Which would allow for more range time and experience shooting it.

The best round in the world is no good if you can't hit your target with it. This can remedy that...

Sellier & Bellot 9mm Luger Ammo 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Caveat Emptor:
I have no experience with it though... but S&B is a well established and reputable brand.

107526.jpg
107526_1_.jpg

I got me a case of federal 147gr jhp,the white box one. Shot 4 mags out of my lc9s today, ran good . Thank u 4 the advices guys, i did not know that it best to shoot heavy ammo out of it.🙄

HiShok is old school. Wonder why they were always so 'cheap' compared to other more modern rounds. We used to run them like range ammo
Yes. very old school... but inexpensive too. And more effective than FMJ. It is a hotter load than range ammo and just a little below +P as far as FPS.

It makes a great, stackable, mid-price option to the cheap range fodder and the pricey Carry Ammo.

I see a lot of folks stacking practice ammo and avoiding paying for defensive ammunition. Both are important... and needed.

It's about Balance.

Just my opinion...

Another thing about the 9BP...

It is a very good round when your "target" is wearing something heavier than denim and/or is behind a window/door/minor obstruction.

The state-of-the-art carry loads of today are designed to penetrate 12-16 inches of gel and leave a huge wound cavity. Which is great.

But, sometimes you need to punch through a little extra something...

IMO, any ammo can be broken down into: "Range," "Carry" and "Match" categories.
9BP is a hybrid or combo round. A cross between range and carry. A "range-carry" round if you will.

Imagine the lethality of a round that you could practice all day long with and really hone your accuracy/placement skills, for just a few cents more than blah FMJ.

Also, having different ammo types is like having different hammers. A tack hammer is worthless with railroad spikes and a sledge hammer is hard to start brads with.

~Enbloc

Last edited:
The Federal 9BP that I just received also has sealed primers. Not necessary, but nice.

Target sports has been periodically putting up 124+P hsts in 50rd boxes for under a buck a round. If people looking for carry ammo aren't buying that, they basically are retarded.

Regarding the 92, you‘ll go through at least 20 locking blocks and 100 recoil springs before that slide breaks. And even IF it breaks, the oversized hammer pin will keep the slide from separating rearward….other pistols have no such designs.

im a smidge biased :cool:
I think most Berettas are meh, and even I think that is probably one of the dumbest gun whine/fallacies ever. It was funny.... in 1989 maybe. [rofl] It's just as dumb as the "porcelain glock 7 thing. That costs more than you make in a month!" [rofl]

Target sports has been periodically putting up 124+P hsts in 50rd boxes for under a buck a round. If people looking for carry ammo aren't buying that, they basically are retarded.
Exactly this.

Federal Law Enforcement 9mm Luger Ammo 124 Grain +P HST Jacketed Hollow Point-Box of 50 - $41.39 last time I ordered

Exactly this.

Federal Law Enforcement 9mm Luger Ammo 124 Grain +P HST Jacketed Hollow Point-Box of 50 - $41.39 last time I ordered
Yep. I paid $39.10 /50 round box in early August of this year. This an excellent carry round and I buy these when available and priced right. We are due for some In at TSUSA now...

My 9mm supply is diverse,..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom