Which 9mm jhp should i buy?

Which 9mm should i buy for my subcompac ccw? Federal 9mm 147 jhp subsonic , s&b 9mm 115 jhp or s&b 124 jhp? I got a few hundreth dollars for my bd so ill put it to good use lol.

Attachments

• 20211112_134450.jpg
    20211112_134450.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 221
Seriously, you can't ask a which is better 115, 124,147 question when it comes to the 9mm. Everybody has their own favorite they are willing to risk their lives on.
That said, most folks I know like either the 124 or 147. Brands vary but Hornady American Gunner seems to be considered a decent round for the 124 . You HAVE to buy some and try it before stocking up, as GreenCobra mentioned...some guns can be finicky. I like the Hornady 147 XTP bullet personally. The 147 has a bit less recoil (my daughters and wife notice it more than me) which allows a faster follow up shot. These are not cheap as compared to some but this is carry ammo to protect you and yours.

Well look like am going for the 124 s&b jhp then,thank 4 advices . I carry a cheap lc9s, and it will choke on any ammo with short overall leght. I end up loading ball ammo on top of mag and hp at bottom, run good.

Attachments

• 20211112_165232.jpg
    20211112_165232.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 18

Common wisdom back in the day (80’s) was JHP on top and ball below. Point was if you don’t take the other guy down in 2-3 shots, you prob need some rings that will penetrate soft cover.

So I get what you’re trying to say, but better off all JHP and find the most reliable, or get a more reliable gun.

My .02.

For me personally, I go with a cheaper hollow point so I can practice with it and ensure it functions flawlessly in my guns. At 55 cents, that's pretty good considering the times we're in. I like that it's subsonic to somewhat reduce damage on your ears. I would buy a half case of those and start testing.

I carry a cheap lc9s, and it will choke on any ammo with short overall leght
4479497.jpg

Did you take a picture of your computer screen instead of taking a screenshot?? [smile]
He'd rather you know his GPS coordinates than his IP address...

I believe the heaviest bullet in a subcompact. The short barrel won't develop full velocity anyways so get your impact energy from weight.
Word.

Last edited:
Well look like am going for the 124 s&b jhp then,thank 4 advices . I carry a cheap lc9s, and it will choke on any ammo with short overall leght. I end up loading ball ammo on top of mag and hp at bottom, run good.

ENBLOC'S CARRY AMMO; ORDER OF OPERATIONS...

Buy ammo
, range test, range test again, range test again, range test again, buy much more of the same ammo, range test again... Now you can carry it w/ a spare range-tested magazine.
Range test again...

Buy even more of the same ammo, while still range testing other brands of carry ammo (in case you can no longer find that particular ammo, and you shot up all your good stuff,)

Lastly: See line above. You know what you have to do...

Last edited:
None of those would be in my top five choices...

Did you take a picture of your computer screen instead of taking a screenshot?? [smile]
Give him a break, some people only use NES on their phones (me).

I like the first one that says "law enforcement" - that one is good for shooting dogs. I would go with that one.

None of the above.

Hornady Critical Defense 115gr
Hornady American Gunner 124+P
Speer GDHP (124gr +P)
Sig V-Crown (115 or 124+P)
Winchester PDX1
Federal Hydrashock 124gr

I don't buy "budget" personal defense ammo. YMMV
Skip Hornady. That company is run by a giant c*nt.

Also, bad advice on +P without asking if the OP gun can handle +P.

Also, is +P even necessary? Is it worth it the increase in recoil in a subcompact gun when standard velocity will do the job?

Also, is +P even necessary? Is it worth it the increase in recoil in a subcompact gun when standard velocity will do the job?
My lc9s can shoot +p , and i think my berreta 92 may not be able to handle it due to slide breaking problem.

Give him a break, some people only use NES on their phones (me).

I like the first one that says "law enforcement" - that one is good for shooting dogs. I would go with that one.
I actually carry Federal "law enforcement" ammo. It's literally just HST in a different box but easier to find.

OP, just be careful - according to the fukwad prosecutor in Kenosha, hollowpoints explode on impact! :eek:

FWIW, you can come see me and roll your own HSTs, GDHPs, V-Crowns, Lehigh XD, Inceptor ARX, etc. or bring your factory fodder and test-fire onsite into whatever medium that you provide. Do this before the weather becomes too miserable of course. Lucky Gunner has done extensive testing on many JHPs, but who knows what variables will occur during your life/death scenario...

Added: Nobody tests the Berry's Hybrid HP, to my knowledge, but my limited water-filled milk jug testing with the 185gr (.45 Auto) and 180gr (10mm Auto) revealed the following (again, nothing indicative of your results):

Attachments

• Berry'sHHP.jpg
    Berry'sHHP.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1039e.jpg
    IMG_1039e.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I use federal 124
I reload Lee 120g TC (drops at 125) to the same velocity for practice.

Life is too short to hunt for ammo, reload

Aside from if the gun can handle it, the next question is if the particular bullet in your gun would benefit from the extra velocity. It your muzzle velocity already gives it optimal expansion and it stops in the 12-18” range in gel (preferably on the longer end), then no +P isn’t worth the extra recoil. But if the bullet performs marginally with normal loads in your barrel length, then the extra velocity kick may make it perform great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom