• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which 9mm carbine?

Which 9mm carbine?

• Hi-Point 995

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Kel-Tec Sub 2000

Votes: 30 88.2%

• Total voters
You never mentioned your intended use which could make a big difference in the choice/recommendations. I’m intrigued by the Ruger just because I have many Rugers and it’s kind of a cool looking range toy that takes Glock mags. I’ll probably get one “just because”. That being said, out of the other choices, I personally picked the sub2k. My reasons were that the one I bought took Beretta 92 mags, so pre-bans were easy to get, it shared mags with a good companion pistol, and most important, was super compact with the folding feature. The compact nature made it a winner for a backpack gun, truck gun, or any other use where a very light, compact rifle would be helpful. It’s not a super comfortable range gun because it’s very small, doesn’t have a comfortable cheek weld, factory sights aren’t great (there are better aftermarket options though), etc. It also wouldn’t be my first pick for home defense either, although it would preferable to a handgun in most cases. For its intended niche though, it is very well suited and hard to beat, which is why I will eventually get a newer model, just because they added a few improvements over the gen 1 that I have. Just like I have many highly specialized tools for both auto and home projects, my guns are the same... specific guns (tools) for specific jobs...

What about a Kriss? Or an Uzi? Or even a feather (was actually a very cool reliable shooter and a lot of fun)

there are a bunch of 9mm carbines I would take before either of those

Yeah, but the two he is choosing between are both sub $400 guns, which would imply a price ceiling. If price wasn't a factor, I'd suggest an MP5 or MPX. But if that's true about the budget, I'd choose the Sub2000. Although, as I've mentioned on this forum in the past, it would take another $100-400 in aftermarket parts to bring it up to standards of other PCC's on the market, so it might actually make more sense to save up a pinch more for the Ruger PC9.

I vote for the Dark Storm DS-9. AR-style, Mass compliant, takes Glock mags, and is super fun. I have one and love it but it’s a bit more expensive - around $1000. There is a used one the classifieds right now with three 30 round pre-ban mags (no, not mine lol).

I've had both and sold both lol. Ended up getting a 9mm SBR upper along with a stern defense mag adaptor to use Glock mags. The High Point works just fine but don't expect a nice trigger or high quality. Sub2000 was a little better but if you plan to use the factory iron sights, they suck big time. I don't know how anyone can actually get a proper cheek weld with those sights. I ended up getting a Midwest industries red dot mount and a primary arms red dot which made it way better to shoot. I also did some trigger upgrades from MCarbo.

I had a 9mm Hi Point Carbine a few years ago. It’s cheap and pretty accurate, but it just felt like a piece of junk to look at and shoot. I would spend the money for the Keltec or CX Storm.

Another vote for the CZ.

I have a Scorp Evo too, but it's basically double what the ruger would cost him, and I'm guessing he doesn't want to spend that. If he's playing the compliance jig, the other problem with the EVO is you are stuck with 10 rd mags, forever, unless you are exempt or are invested fully in big kid pants mindset land.

I had a 9mm Hi Point Carbine a few years ago. It’s cheap and pretty accurate, but it just felt like a piece of junk to look at and shoot. I would spend the money for the Keltec or CX Storm.

The storm is way overrated. You'd be better off with a Ruger PC9 for about the same amount of cash, the only "good" thing about the storm is it takes beretta mags, which are still much easier
to come by as "pwee bans" etc.

I vote for the Dark Storm DS-9. AR-style, Mass compliant, takes Glock mags, and is super fun. I have one and love it but it’s a bit more expensive - around $1000. There is a used one the classifieds right now with three 30 round pre-ban mags (no, not mine lol).

The website says it's $1400 - do they go cheaper? The one is classifieds looks like a good deal with the pre-ban mags (I assume 30 round Glock mags?).

JP Rifles 9mm SBR if you have pre-ban 33 round glock mags; immunity; or are willing to take the chance.

JP Rfiles 9mm SBR with .223 AR lower and adapter (Rock River is nice, there are others) to use Colt and converted UZI mags if you don't want to deal with the pre-ban issue.

The one is classifieds looks like a good deal with the pre-ban mags (I assume 30 round Glock mags?).
Don't be surprised if "Pre ban" means U notch 17 round G19 mags.

That may be MSRP. I picked mine up at FS about a year ago for around $1050 if I remember correctly. They were promoting them pretty heavily at the time and I think prices are up overall since then.

Was that for the MOE version though? The ones with Magpul furniture are cheaper.

I've owned both. I still own the Keltec. It's far more handy, and has a slightly better trigger...though that's like saying a Honda civic is better than a Toyota corolla.

The hipoint punched me in the cheekbone when I shot it. Every time. And it was the devil to clean. Plus proprietary magazines.

The Keltec is GTG, and mine takes Beretta mags, which I have a ton of for my 92.

Last edited:
If I could not afford the cost of an AR9, I’d go with the ruger pcc.

If I could afford an AR9, but was lazy I’d go with a CZ Scorpion

I like to build things. Bet there are some good off the shelf stuff

The high point works. Same with the sub 2000. But they are not what I’d choose. My .02

Kel-Tec Sub2000 or Hi-Point 995?

I know, Ruger is preferable. Could at least simplify by using Glock mags on both if KelTec. Have a HighPoint with 3 or 4 of their mags. KelTec is I think $350.

Does Ruger also take Glock mags?

Sub2k and 995 both work well and havent jammed in ~500rds. I wouldnt have either be my main range gun but bringing to the range now and then is fine.

The ruger PC seems cool but i haven't used it.

Sub2k and 995 both work well and havent jammed in ~500rds. I wouldnt have either be my main range gun but bringing to the range now and then is fine.

The ruger PC seems cool but i haven't used it.

I should add: I would recommend the sub2k over 995 solely due to mags. Being able to use glocks in the sub2k and the hi point's mags being shitty single stack should signal who the winner is.

That may be MSRP. I picked mine up at FS about a year ago for around $1050 if I remember correctly. They were promoting them pretty heavily at the time and I think prices are up overall since then.

Think I saw that email but didn't know what they were. Definitely interesting at $1000.

I have a Sub2000 that takes 92FS mags.

I hate the cheek weld on it.

I hate the shitty buttstock and the recoil pad that broke off and the silicone pad I replaced it with...that also broke off. So now it's bare metal into my shoulder.

it's never jammed....unlike the PMR30 I also own

I'll still keep it over a 995

I have a Sub2000 that takes 92FS mags.

I hate the cheek weld on it.

I hate the shitty buttstock and the recoil pad that broke off and the silicone pad I replaced it with...that also broke off. So now it's bare metal into my shoulder.

it's never jammed....unlike the PMR30 I also own

I'll still keep it over a 995
If 30 rounds could be post ban; aftermarket non-Glock; or Taylor Freelance with their huge extension.

The storm is way overrated. You'd be better off with a Ruger PC9 for about the same amount of cash, the only "good" thing about the storm is it takes beretta mags

Not so. I've got both, and the Beretta is much smaller and lighter than the Ruger. The styling is weird, but really it's only ugly until you pick it up. The trigger does kind of suck though, but it's better than the HiPoint trigger that digs right into the pad of your finger.

I like the PC9 too; the length and weight make it a sweet shooter. Best bet would be to compare them side by side if possible. Beretta would definitely make a better inside the home defensive gun due to its nice handling characteristics. It also can be set up to eject to the left, if one prefers (I do). And unless you already have high cap Glock mags, the 92 mags for the Beretta are cheaper. I'm hoping that some day we will see 92 magwell adapters for the Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom