• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which .45?

Garys

NES Member
If you couldn't have or didn't want a M1911, which .45 would you want? For reference purposes, my question was sparked by the S&W M&P thread.

Gary

I have a Sig P245. I like it a whole lot and only wish that it was
a little bit thinner. To me, craftsmanship is a major factor. Not to
say that I don't appreciate and may someday own a Glock, but the fit and
finish of Sigs and most 1911-style pistols is top notch.

For a carry gun a S&W 457.. I stopped carrying my 1911 and Sig220 when I got mine. It's bigger than the CS45 and a lot smaller than the sig or 1911. You can get them in either D/S or DA.

cs45.jpg

Sig 220 Stainless, a real workhorse even in competition as Ernest Langdon proved. The DA trigger on my stock 226ST is amazing, SA still stinks but I hear there is going to be a new mod available to give the trigger a shorter reset.

Only con for me is the lack of mag wells.

Wow, what a lot of answers. Like a lot of people, I like the M1911, but I don't know if it's a practical carry gun. Okay, I know that sounds silly because a lot of people do carry it. I know it's also a reliable and accurate weapon, but how practical is if for concealed carry? For people who do carry a M1911, cocked or not cocked?

Finally, for those that answered the original question, if finances required it, would you sell or trade some of your other hand guns to buy the .45 you picked?

Full of, uh, questions, aren't I? [wink]

Gary

Finally, for those that answered the original question, if finances required it, would you sell or trade some of your other hand guns to buy the .45 you picked?

This one's gonna be up to you, Gary. You'll get a variety of answers here, but ultimately, it's up to you. Some of us buy/sell/trade like it's our job. Some will occasionally sell/trade their guns if they're not happy with them and/or need the $$$. Then again, there are some of us here that have never sold a single gun that they've bought.

Gary: I carry a SW1911 pd in an IWB holster( I have a Bullman on order, only 13 more weeks) I do carry cocked and locked. I sold a USPc .45 to get this gun. The USPc is a great gun, but I did not like the trigger, and the gun was a little thick for my taste.

Wow, what a lot of answers. Like a lot of people, I like the M1911, but I don't know if it's a practical carry gun. Okay, I know that sounds silly because a lot of people do carry it. I know it's also a reliable and accurate weapon, but how practical is if for concealed carry? For people who do carry a M1911, cocked or not cocked?

I believe it is quite practical, but it is not my first choice. The ergos are second to none, and the gun is relatively slim so it carries well. The only hangup for me is the grip safety, I can't stand it, and on a carry gun I would have to have it sensitized for it to work reliably. I ride the safety so there is no issue when it comes to remembering to disengage it.

Reliability wise I would not trust a factory 1911 unless it has had a reliability job performed by a smith I trust (also hard). Generally I have found that smiths will miss glaring issues when examining and working on a gun.

When I do "carry" my 1911 at competitions I do so C&L (also required by the rules) because thumbing the hammer down on a live round is mildly risky and cocking it is difficult one handed. There is no overpowering reason for not carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, the odds of the holster (protecting the trigger), firing pin safety, sear/full cock notch, half-cock notch, all failing at the same time is not even worth considering. Even without the FPS the odds are low that the gun will discharge without some form of mechanical interaction either through the trigger or thumb safety.

As to the last question, yes I would.

how practical is if for concealed carry? For people who do carry a M1911, cocked or not cocked?

As practical as anything else you hang on your hip.

Get the right holster and it's not a problem at all. Mine's with me everyday.

There's only one way to carry a 1911...cocked and locked, with one in the pipe.

I know it's also a reliable and accurate weapon, but how practical is if for concealed carry? For people who do carry a M1911, cocked or not cocked?
If you're going to carry a gun on your hip, a 1911 is just as practical as any other gun. You can get them in full size (5"), commander (4 1/2", full size grip), compact (4", shorter grip), and subcompact (3", shorter grip). You can get them in carbon steel, stainless steel, or aluminum. The 1911s slim profile helps make it easier to carry than you might expect.

My usual carry gun is a Kimber Compact aluminum frame. It's similar in size to a Glock 23 or Sig P239. I do carry a fullsized 1911 at times.

I carry my 1911 cocked and locked. Carrying a 1911 condition 2 (hammer down) makes no sense at all, IMNSHO.

I'm guessing by the wording of your question that you are uncomfortable with the cocked hammer. Series 80 Colts and ParaOrdnance (which use Series 80 lockwork) have firing pin safeties. Even if the hammer fell, the firing pin wouldn't move unless you were holding the trigger to the rear.

Which 1911 do you have? Some are much more practical for CCW than
others.

1911sc1.jpg

4.5 inch barrel, 28 oz empty

I also have a full size milspec AO 1911 in steel that is not much different to carry. The Sc is nicer and a little lighter but if it wasn't available, I wouldn't feel burdened with the full sized one.

1911a1.jpg

I carried the CS45 for many years and went over to the sc about a year ago. I just like it better.

Last edited:
Love my G30 - although this being MA, it cost be an arm and a leg ($700 at Four Seasons). That said I also own a S&W 457. It's not a bad pistol, on the negative side, it's heavy and is oddly top-heavy, only holds 7 rounds, and the trigger was a nightmare (I had the factory covert to mine to DAO).

On the plus side, it feels great in my hand (nice skinny almost 1911 style grip), it's really concealable, and best of all - mine has been REALLY reliable. I've put close to 1000 rounds of reloads through it with not a single failure.

I

Back
Top Bottom