• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

which 1911 is the best bang for your buck?

rock island armory
new auto ordnance / thompson ( made by kahr now )
springfield armory

all give much quality bang for your buck, and all come in at under $600- as a start

i'm not personally fond of smith & wesson because i prefer an internal extractor

New: S&W (best bang for buck, new and MA compliant)
Used: SA, Colt (best bang for buck used but will cost more than a new S&W in most cases in MA)

Any 1911 can be modified to suite your needs by a competent gunsmith. I'd recommend Greg Derr for anything 1911.

The lifetime no-questions-asked warranty on the Smith & Wesson means you can buy a used gun with some confidence that the manufacturer will fix it if it has any problems. I got a used 1911 that turned out to have a problem with failures to chamber a round, and S&W fixed it for me very promptly.

How about the Tarus PT1911? I was looking at one last weekend.. for the features the price seemed pretty good. I have read some good reviews on it as well.. anyone have personal experience with that model?

Ask Timber about his... [laugh]

-Mike

I initially disliked the S&W 1911 line because of the external extractor, but I had one for awhile and really liked it. No issues whatsoever. I only sold it to fund another project.

I'm pretty much a Colt fan. Yes they're hard to find in this state but worth it when you can.

Para didn't do it for me. I've had two of them and will never trust another Para again.

After reading Timber's issues I won't bet getting the Tarus. Shame, it was a nice looking gun with a good price for the features. They did have a nice Colt and Springfield, I may look into one of those. How hard is it to change out the safety to add ambidextrous ones?

I guess my goal is to get an inexpensive 1911 and build it up into a racegun as finances allows.

I guess my goal is to get an inexpensive 1911 and build it up into a racegun as finances allows.

What are you going to use it for? Sometimes buying the right thing up front ends up being cheaper. Getting work done (unless you're the DIY type) is always expensive.

-Mike

Why would you need an ambi-safety for plate shooting? Ambi safeties have some disadvantages. Not as strong as a strong side safety. More likely to get the offside safety swiped off by bumping into something. I've got them on a few of my 1911s and I'm likely to change them over time for single-side safeties.

Why would you need an ambi-safety for plate shooting? Ambi safeties have some disadvantages. Not as strong as a strong side safety. More likely to get the offside safety swiped off by bumping into something. I've got them on a few of my 1911s and I'm likely to change them over time for single-side safeties.

Point taken, I may not put that as a high priority. Thanks!

My thought process was in the event she does not use it much and I end up "adopting it" as a self-defense gun, I like the idea of being able to use it in either hand.

The new Para GI Expert may be your thing if you want cheap. If you want something that will work fine out of the box, go for the SW1911, you should be able to find a used one in the $600 range.

Point taken, I may not put that as a high priority. Thanks!

My thought process was in the event she does not use it much and I end up "adopting it" as a self-defense gun, I like the idea of being able to use it in either hand.
You can do that with a single-side safety. Many of us who carry 1911s prefer single-side safeties. Less likely to break. Less likely to get wiped off in the holster. And you can operate it with the index finger of your left hand in the unlikely event that you have to draw with your left hand and lower the safety.

If you are a lefty, then I could understand the desire for an ambi safety. But if you are a righty I would skip it.

I remember some years back some gun writers were pushing ambi safeties as "required" for self defense. I bought into that and put them on some of my guns. But now I think they are not only not required, but undesirable. YMMV.

Probably just plate shooting. Thanks to Kimber45 letting the g/f shoot his 1911 she wants one. I should have known that would happen!

I'd still go with a base model SW1911. If you're on a budget find a used one in decent shape. If you find the trigger lacking any decent 1911 smith should be able to clean it up for short money.

-Mike

Last edited:
The Para GI Expert is not available in MA I believe. Does anyone know for sure???

No, it's not usually, but I don't keep track of whatever stuff Para approves... it probably will be eventually.

Anyone outside of MA doesn't need to worry much about that, though.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom