• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

which 10/22 do you recomend?

I am trying to keep it under 300 dollars so the really fancy bull barrel models are out. When I get more cash and if I like the 10/22 I may buy some aftermarket parts.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firea...9&variation=10/22® Rimfire&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

The lengths of barrels vary from 16 1/8 to 20 inches. Which should I get? With my crude understand of barrels I figure a longer barrel means a slight increase in FPS and accuracy. So I am leaning to a 18 or 20 inch.

Any advice guys?

With some carefull shopping and price comparing you can buy a used one for about $150, then spend another $100 on a Butler Creek bull barrel and about $50 on an aftermarket Choate stock and have a nice shooter for around $300. Thats what I did:

440c2623.jpg

Scope, mount, and rings will run you a little more though depending on what you want to use.

If you do wind up buying one new and plan on getting a target barrel eventually, I'd get the 16 1/8" model just to have a compact rifle for now. You'll most likely wind up shooting it at 50 yards and the shorter barrel is plenty accurate enough for that.

There isn't very much excess power in a .22 cartridge to propel the bullet at a higher speed just because you have a barrel a few inches longer than the 16 inch version.

In this case, shorter is better. (grin)

I just picked up a Ruger 10/22RB (down the bottom of the page you linked to) last week for $199.00 at Four Seasons. Took it shooting Thursday night and it shoots nice. They did not have any in stock with the fiber optic sights - but after shooting it I have to say that I think these are almost a required option. The standard sights are hard to see (for me anyway) in lower light conditions.

I would get a used 10/22 then upgrade as you go, anything over 16" is just extra weight. Since there is a ton of aftermarket products, you can go in any direction on the style of the gun.

This is what mine ended up as. Started as bone stock when I was a kid

tigerstripe.jpg

IIRC, the .22 LR cartridge starts to LOSE energy in barrels over 16-18." The longer barrels are great for accuracy if you are using "iron sights," due to the extended sight plane.

If you are using a scope, that extra length adds nothing to the equation.

I would get a used 10/22 then upgrade as you go, anything over 16" is just extra weight. Since there is a ton of aftermarket products, you can go in any direction on the style of the gun.

This is what mine ended up as. Started as bone stock when I was a kid

tigerstripe.jpg

Looks great but the ejection port makes me think of a mouses a**hole on a rhino's back side.[laugh]

A couple newbie questions:

I've seen used 10/22 Target models in the $300 range. How do the Target models compare to the suggestion of buying a new base model and customizing?

Also, can anyone recomend where to find good value in aftermarket upgrades? Which parts should I upgrade (barrel, stock, trigger, etc), which companies should I look to for good parts, and what is NOT worth upgrading (I'm a fairly new shooter, so at a certain point in time the real high end upgrades are just going to be a waste of money)?

Thanks!

A couple newbie questions:

I've seen used 10/22 Target models in the $300 range. How do the Target models compare to the suggestion of buying a new base model and customizing?

Also, can anyone recomend where to find good value in aftermarket upgrades? Which parts should I upgrade (barrel, stock, trigger, etc), which companies should I look to for good parts, and what is NOT worth upgrading (I'm a fairly new shooter, so at a certain point in time the real high end upgrades are just going to be a waste of money)?

Thanks!
The trigger is the best place to start for upgrades on the 10/22. Lightening up the pull will help the accuracy a lot. You can buy drop-in trigger groups from places like Power Custom or Volqursten (SP?), or with some research you can mod your own by stoning and polishing the parts yourself. Rimfirecentral.com is the place to go for the best info on 10/22's. They have tons of info and are pretty friendly too.

having built quite a few of these up, I'll add my 2 cents here.

BBls: For the money, Green Mountain is the best back for your buck. If wanting a leightweight one (aluminum, carbon fiber), look at Whistle Pig for aluminum or Magnum Research or Volquartsen for CF. Avoid Butler Creek. Cheap yes, but you get exactly what you pay for. For a plinker I guess they'd do, but for a good target gun, there's much better.

Triggers: I've tried the various DIY kits and they never impressed. For a bit more money ($80 total) you can send it out to TT Shooter and have an awesome trigger returned to you. Redoes the workings to a better design. For really nice, go for a JERD or for the best - KIDD.

Stocks: Too many to choose from here. I prefer those from Boyd's and Revival. Boyd's ha a larger selection of styles and colors and are nicely priced when you get thier stock/bbl package. Although not shown o thier site, Boyd's is now producing Barracuda style stocks for thier dealers. Great off-hand design.

Bolt: CPC - period

There's also the bolt buffer which for these just find one from whatever compnay you're already ordering from, all pretty much the same. Same with any extended magazine release although I prefer the clean look of the Volquartsen one. For those that have that "tactical" addiction and ned the hi-cap magazines; at least if you gotta have 'em make it worth your while and get good ons. The "lips" models are cheap for the same reason as the bbls are - you get what you pay for. tactical Innovations has the good ones, All CNC aluminum with ss steal feed lips or polymer ones with the same ss feed leips. Cost a bit more than the other fodder but well worth it.

There...that's the basics in a nutshell. For a build, just start with a regualr model and go from there or buy an aftermarket receiver and start from scratch. otherwise, I was very pleased with the performance of my factory "T" model. Also, since it's not a match chamber, it's fine for Stingers - mine loves them hot litle rounds.
Geeze this made me remember, I got a couple 10/22's that need completing soon. Spring's a comin', gotta hurry.

Here's a couple of the one's I've finished and actually have pictures of:

DSC02686.jpg

DSC02683.jpg

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02682.jpg

The "Nascar" one really is in .17 caliber so with that caliber and those colors it just worked out to be too close to be the #17 car. They've since been removed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom