• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where would you get a 1911 milled?

Hello fellow nesrs. Just seeing where some of you guys have had luck getting a 1911 slide milled. Contacted ncengravers but I guess they dont do series 80 slides because of the plunger in the slide. Just looking to have it milled for an rmr, and maybe some fancy "lightening "cuts. Just want to kind of make it look like mine. Thanks.

All of the above are good, but add Greg Derr to the list, that is if you can get him to talk to you know that he is a nationally published celebrity.

Hello fellow nesrs. Just seeing where some of you guys have had luck getting a 1911 slide milled. Contacted ncengravers but I guess they dont do series 80 slides because of the plunger in the slide. Just looking to have it milled for an rmr, and maybe some fancy "lightening "cuts. Just want to kind of make it look like mine. Thanks.
just curious whats the price differential from getting a slide milled is vs buyinga slide already milled ?

just curious whats the price differential from getting a slide milled is vs buyinga slide already milled ?
idk seems like a milled slide is pretty cheap 250$ or so, but it was just a stainless steel plain as hell looking slide...and we all know if you want to shoot good you gotta be cool with a gucci'd out gun.

Price is one consideration. Function is another. Glock MOS you end up with the optic on a plate so essentially sitting on top of the slide. If you mill a glock slide for a specific RMR you end up with the RMR sitting down inside the slide. This has multiple advantages.

Some slides are cut for specific RMRs so have the same advantage as custom milling

I had a less than ideal experience when Lou at Business End did some small work for me. His custom guns look gorgeous but if I need a 1911 smith in the future it'll be somewhere else.

Don't know how this comment will go over why not just deep 6 the series 80s parts. IIRC Brownell's sells a filler plate for the slot in the frame. Leave out the plunger and spring for the firing pin and your gtg.

idk seems like a milled slide is pretty cheap 250$ or so, but it was just a stainless steel plain as hell looking slide...and we all know if you want to shoot good you gotta be cool with a gucci'd out gun.
what pistol is this for ?
right but you could have the slide dressed up for far less than milling what you have and such? oh wait you mean lightening cuts as in removing metal to lighten the pistol right. I like me a heavy gun but Im not speed shooting much at all. I am more of a service pistol shooter 25 and 50 yards
Im the wrong guy for bling. 100% function for me.

just a thought. you could have 2 slides for what it cost to machine your current slide.

I get lighteneing the slide to reduce mass especially for 9mm for me lightening would only be for loading soft target ammo for less recoil and such

that said I give my vote to Derr Precision great work even on non 1911 stuff when he has time!

Last edited:
what pistol is this for ?
right but you could have the slide dressed up for far less than milling what you have and such? oh wait you mean lightening cuts as in removing metal to lighten the pistol right. I like me a heavy gun but Im not speed shooting much at all. I am more of a service pistol shooter 25 and 50 yards
Im the wrong guy for bling. 100% function for me.

just a thought. you could have 2 slides for what it cost to machine your current slide.

I get lighteneing the slide to reduce mass especially for 9mm for me lightening would only be for loading soft target ammo for less recoil and such

that said I give my vote to Derr Precision great work even on non 1911 stuff when he has time!
Hey man thanks for the input. Im not really concerned on functionality as I only bring this to the range anyway. So im just looking to make a nice looking cool 1911 in my perspective. I will have to check this dude out though. Does he usually charge an arm and a leg?

Hey man thanks for the input. Im not really concerned on functionality as I only bring this to the range anyway. So im just looking to make a nice looking cool 1911 in my perspective. I will have to check this dude out though. Does he usually charge an arm and a leg?
I've not worked with Greg Derr, but I hire machinists all the time. A capable gunsmith is a specialized machinist. Greg Derr is a highly regarded gunsmith. You can guess how that affects his hourly rate.

What do you call "an arm and a leg?" When you hire a capable machinist to turn your dreams into reality, the job includes the time it takes to digitize the design, program it into the machine, set up all the work holding, confirm the parts are installed in the machine correctly, repeat the setup 2 or even three times, tear down the machine, and do whatever finishing work is called for. Manual machining could tatke even longer. Depending on the complexity of your project this could be 2-8 hours of effort.

One-off machined parts (read: prototypes) are always more work than high-volume (production) parts, especially when you have exactly enough stock to make the one part. How much is a one of a kind slide worth to you?

Back
Top Bottom