• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to post request for handgun pricing ADVICE?

This isn't a technical question but this still seemed like a good place to get help from a moderator. I know there are classifieds forums here, but I'd like to ask members for pricing advice on a handgun I am thinking about selling. I haven't fully decided to let it go, so the classifieds forum doesn't seem like the right place. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Name the price you'd like to get, then lower it occasionally until it sells. Search the classifieds here and the internet generally for firearms like the one(s) you are thinking of selling, and price accordingly, +/- for condition, extras, etc. What other advice do you need?

This isn't a technical question but this still seemed like a good place to get help from a moderator. I know there are classifieds forums here, but I'd like to ask members for pricing advice on a handgun I am thinking about selling. I haven't fully decided to let it go, so the classifieds forum doesn't seem like the right place. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Are you trying to sell it fast? Go on gunbroker, compute a low average price for the gun based on existing listings, but don't include puds in the average (because, well, f*** puds) . Take the gunbroker low average, then take 100 bucks off that... list it firm for that price. (because you probably have a used gun) and if your gun isn't crap, it'll be gone in a week unless its something totally undesirable. If you can't afford/stomach to take 100 bucks off average low of the new prices, it's going to be very difficult to get buyers so it's not even worth listing, unless we're talking about something that's actually rare or hard to come by. (but then if it was, you wouldn't find comparables on gunbroker to set the pricing... )

-Mike

I'll do you a favor and take it for a hundred, cash money, a $2 scratch ticket and the coins that are all stuck together in my cup holder.

And I'll even split the FFL fee, hell of a guy that I am.

(what I do is find ads for similar firearms and price it accordingly, usually a little bit lower so it moves)

List it for what you want. keep bumping it to the top. So what it hasn't sold in two years. You know its value. keep trying. It will be worth that some time this century.

$350 with holster. Jack.

Sold!

Oh wait. ;)

Name the price you'd like to get, then lower it occasionally until it sells. Search the classifieds here and the internet generally for firearms like the one(s) you are thinking of selling, and price accordingly, +/- for condition, extras, etc. What other advice do you need?

I'm still not 100% sure I want to sell it. Seems like an ungentlewomanly thing to list something for sale when I'm not sure I want to do so. I'd rather be honest with people up front and have some information in hand in order to make the decision. I've seen other (non-gun) forums that have a Feeler option in their classifieds for just this purpose, but that's not an option here it seems :(

Are you trying to sell it fast? Go on gunbroker, compute a low average price for the gun based on existing listings, but don't include puds in the average (because, well, f*** puds) . Take the gunbroker low average, then take 100 bucks off that... list it firm for that price. (because you probably have a used gun) and if your gun isn't crap, it'll be gone in a week unless its something totally undesirable. If you can't afford/stomach to take 100 bucks off average low of the new prices, it's going to be very difficult to get buyers so it's not even worth listing, unless we're talking about something that's actually rare or hard to come by. (but then if it was, you wouldn't find comparables on gunbroker to set the pricing... )

-Mike

It's spent most of its time in my safe over the past decade, so no rush at all :). But I'll check out gunbroker, thanks!

I'll do you a favor and take it for a hundred, cash money, a $2 scratch ticket and the coins that are all stuck together in my cup holder.

And I'll even split the FFL fee, hell of a guy that I am.

(what I do is find ads for similar firearms and price it accordingly, usually a little bit lower so it moves)

Make it one of those fancy $20 scratchers and it's yours :D

Anywhere but here?

Uh oh is there something I should know about the classifieds here?

Is it a flobert parlor rifle? Then it's priceless,..

Sadly, no :p

List it for what you want. keep bumping it to the top. So what it hasn't sold in two years. You know its value. keep trying. It will be worth that some time this century.

I've seen some eBay sellers who follow your advice well! ;)

I've seen other (non-gun) forums that have a Feeler option in their classifieds for just this purpose, but that's not an option here it seems :(
hell, you either want to sell it or not. what do you tell people who are interested in your feeler item, you were only fooling?

hell, you either want to sell it or not. what do you tell people who are interested in your feeler item, you were only fooling?

In other forums where the Feeler option is available, people know up front that a sale isn't definite. They tend to respond with "I'd offer $X if you decide to sell it" or "I've seen that sell for $X" or "I'd ask for $X in your shoes because A, B, C". It's pretty straightforward and I've never seen anyone get mad with any feeler requests.

I'm still not 100% sure I want to sell it. Seems like an ungentlewomanly thing to list something for sale when I'm not sure I want to do so. I'd rather be honest with people up front and have some information in hand in order to make the decision. I've seen other (non-gun) forums that have a Feeler option in their classifieds for just this purpose, but that's not an option here it seems :(

IMHO if you're this wonky about it you don't need to sell it, selling guns is a pain in the ass although I've met some nice people in the process, it's something I'd rather not do unless its out of necessity.

Then again I'm of the mind most of the time I'm only selling a gun because two things are true:

-I'll never use it again (and its not something special like a family heirloom or something)
or
-I need the money for something else / something better.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom