• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

where to get target stands

I recently joined Harvard and would like to use their IDPA ranges. However, I don't know where to get or what to use for target stands?
Do people bring their own or improvise?

Thanks!

You can make your own out of an 8 foot 2x4 for about $2. The only downside is that it won't be collapsible. I have been using this form of stand for many years with no complaints. They can even be modified to support steel plates.

You can make your own out of an 8 foot 2x4 for about $2. The only downside is that it won't be collapsible. I have been using this form of stand for many years with no complaints. They can even be modified to support steel plates.

It can be if you use 3/8" carriage bolts and wing nuts, and if you can'
t find the bolts long enough then use threaded rod.

I am actually getting ready to make my own. Probably going to weld the 1st one up tonight. Here is a CAD snapshot.

ActionTargetStand.jpg

I basically copied a standard target stand.
I added the 2x4 tubing in the middle so I can support the steel plates that I have. They mount on the end of a standard 2x4 piece of lumber.
I will post pictures of the finished unit.

Steve

Nice steve, I want to put together one like that. Scrounging for old beat up pieces of wood and propping them up at the range is getting old... especially when snow is on the ground. I'm curious, how are you attaching steel to that exactly? I'd like to get plates I can use up to .308 but I don't want to get some expensive store bought one really...

It can be if you use 3/8" carriage bolts and wing nuts, and if you can'
t find the bolts long enough then use threaded rod.

The design I use is extremely easy to assemble using wood screws, but would be very difficult to assemble using nuts and bolts. Soft pine is not a good material for repeated assembly/disassembly using nuts and bolts. I use these stands because they are very cheap and easy to build. Their size, a "foot print" of 2 ft by 21 inches, is easy for me to handle as I own a pick up.

PS The other dimension, the height, is 3.5 in.

Nice steve, I want to put together one like that. Scrounging for old beat up pieces of wood and propping them up at the range is getting old... especially when snow is on the ground. I'm curious, how are you attaching steel to that exactly? I'd like to get plates I can use up to .308 but I don't want to get some expensive store bought one really...

Hi Tom. I will take pictures of the steel plates and how they attach when they arrive. They should be getting here.
Basic idea is that a standard wood 2x4 goes in the center tube on the stand.
On the top of the 2x4 goes another steel piece that I purchased from the target folks that is used to hang the target on.

Steve

I am actually getting ready to make my own. Probably going to weld the 1st one up tonight. Here is a CAD snapshot.

ActionTargetStand.jpg

I added the 2x4 tubing in the middle so I can support the steel plates that I have. They mount on the end of a standard 2x4 piece of lumber.

Steve

Nice stand. I have found that most stands of this design mount the 2X4 so that the narrow edge faces the shooter.

Steve

That's awesome Steve... I can't wait to see how they come out.

Back
Top Bottom