Where to get my S&W MP Shield 9MM Trigger Pull modified

I'm new to this website but was referred to it by a friend who has found it very helpful and informative. I recently purchased a S&W MP Shield 9mm and have found the trigger pull to be very heavy. I purchased a tool to measure the weight and at its max pull weight(10 lbs) the tool couldn't get the gun to discharge. I live near Westborough Ma and am trying to find out if there is a professional nearby who can lighten the pull.

You have few choices.

The Gun Parlor - Worcester

First Line Defense - Uxbridge

MFS - Holliston

Others can chime in with different shops.

I looked into this and I believe I could do the APEX Trigger kit installation myself but does it guarantee to lower the pull weight and by how much? I would like to get it in the 6-7lbs range.

Any gunsmith can install the APEX Trigger Kit for the Shield. I did it myself.

The rear sight is no joke to get off.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a rough estimate of how much it would cost to lower it to 6-7lbs vs the current >10lbs?

Tom, I left you a PM. I have done trigger jobs on about 15 of these pistols for myself and others. I have used the APEX kits (Comp and Carry) as well as just cleaning up and polishing the stock internals. I'd be glad to help you out.

Greg Derr, unsure of his current rate but last I knew it was about $85 for a world-class trigger job. I'll bet the parts for an Apex job cost more than that without the installation.

I had Greg do 3 of my M&Ps for 5# triggers.

I wasn't happy with my competition trigger from business end. Lou is a great guy but after 3-4 trips to the shop, I still wasn't happy with the trigger and I sold the gun.

The Apex Duty Kit should be between 4 and 5 lb trigger pull.

Most competent gunsmiths can install the Apex kit without issues.

$110 for the kit and installation should be in the ballpark.

Mike LaRocca in Worcester does a nice job on M&P triggers and is not far from you.

Pullman Arms in Worcester can install the Apex kit.

i installed my own. Easy.

The APEX kits are not difficult to install if you have a few tools and a good work area. All you really need is a 1/8" roll pin punch, hammer, brass or aluminum drift (for the rear sight), 1/16 hex key, tweezers. The first one I did took me about 90 minutes but now I can do them in less than 30.

I wasn't happy with my competition trigger from business end. Lou is a great guy but after 3-4 trips to the shop, I still wasn't happy with the trigger and I sold the gun.

What specifically was the problem? Did you have other M&P with better trigger, or just never got used to the M&P trigger?

There seem to be variations of how these things work. Some guys like the custom ones and others insist only on apex, etc.

-Mike

Why do you have to drift the sights on the mp for a trigger job I did my sigma with out finagling the sight

I recommend Dave santurri in North Attleboro also. Did mine and it's fantastic. Also did one for a friend on my recommendation. Haven't tried an apex kit but I know this is now a crisp 4-5 pounds measured. What a difference.

OP, if you feel you can do it yourself, then do it!! The Apex kit is the best bang for the money out there... bar none including any of the gunsmiths out there. You don't need to do the whole kit. I've done about 2o kits, on all models of M&P's. For $90 you can get the Carry kit and to be honest, if you install the trigger spring and sear, you get about a 6lb pull, the striker install will get you around 5lbs.. I just did a friends Shield, without doing the striker, it came out excellent. Not to mention, when you purchase the APEX kit, you end up with all the original parts, sell em or save em..

OP, if you feel you can do it yourself, then do it!! The Apex kit is the best bang for the money out there... bar none including any of the gunsmiths out there. You don't need to do the whole kit. I've done about 2o kits, on all models of M&P's. For $90 you can get the Carry kit and to be honest, if you install the trigger spring and sear, you get about a 6lb pull, the striker install will get you around 5lbs.. I just did a friends Shield, without doing the striker, it came out excellent. Not to mention, when you purchase the APEX kit, you end up with all the original parts, sell em or save em..

It made a heck of a difference that's for sure!!! If I get night sights I'll do the striker then I suppose.

I recommend Dave santurri in North Attleboro also. Did mine and it's fantastic. Also did one for a friend on my recommendation. Haven't tried an apex kit but I know this is now a crisp 4-5 pounds measured. What a difference.

Another vote for Santurri, nice guy. I was there the other week and he pinned/welded a brake for me as I waited.

Back
Top Bottom