• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to find Pre 1994 MA legal 20+ round AR-10 mags?

DeadEyeDan

NES Member
Just got a Tavor 7 and was wondering were to look for MA legal pre-1994 20+ round mags that work with the rifle?

Thanks

Last edited:
I believe they're are two types of magwells no? Good luck in your search I think I looked once and said F that.
It ships with a 10-round Magpul SR25 magazine, but the AR-10 has been around since the 60s so the Pre-1994 “Normal Capacity” mags should be around?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
You’d be better off trying to find the lost city of El Dorado than trying to find an original AR-10 mag that fits modern AR10s/SR25. Pre-ban selection is terrible because Armalite was playing with M1A compatible lowers and there really weren’t any other games in town aside from KAC.

EDIT: the info below may result in unreliable feeding or bolt catch problems. You’d also want to cut away some of the feed lips.

You can convert M1A/M14 mags to fit in SR-25 pattern mag wells by removing a hole for the mag catch. And you can add bolt hold open capability by using old Armalite-made conversion followers and cutting a little of the magazine spine. The followers are hard to find, but pop up on Gunbroker sometimes.

Last edited:
Just got it tonight, waiting for some accessories like sights and optics to come in, then I can try it out.

You’d be better off trying to find the lost city of El Dorado than trying to find an original AR-10 mag that fits modern AR10s/SR25. Pre-ban selection is terrible because Armalite was playing with M1A compatible lowers and there really weren’t any other games in town aside from KAC.

You can convert M1A/M14 mags to fit in SR-25 pattern mag wells by removing a hole for the mag catch. And you can add bolt hold open capability by using old Armalite-made conversion followers and cutting a little of the magazine spine. The followers are hard to find, but pop up on Gunbroker sometimes.

Negative. Magwells are different dimensions. Modified m14 mags work for Armalite AR-10b only. The AR-10a follows the SR-25 pattern.

I’ve been looking for pre ban SR-25 pattern mags for a while to go with my Matrix build. No luck. I did grab 5 pre ban converted mags from Armalite a few years ago when they were still selling them.

I've got a few over the years at Wilmington/Marlboro/Fitchburg guns shows.
Usually from Dave from either NY or PA. At each venue he's at the front left with never less than 8 tables.
He's not the cheapest, but his selection is pretty good and if he doesn't have it with him, he'll bring it to the next show.
He was bringing up some Romanian PSL mags for me at the next Marlboro. Will we ever see another gun show [hmmm] .

Negative. Magwells are different dimensions. Modified m14 mags work for Armalite AR-10b only. The AR-10a follows the SR-25 pattern.

M14 mags do insert just fine. But I did forget that the M14 mags are designed to be fed from an angle and not straight up and down. That was the big difference with the AR10B. The mag well was canted forward at the bottom by just a couple degrees. That could cause feeding reliability issues in a regular SR25/waffle pattern AR10/AR308.

Looking below, while it does fit, the rounds are pointed down a little.

12310D35-5BE5-480D-A628-60F630C8C650.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting they say they're MA compliant. I can't see you not getting jammed up for that.
The double negative through me off a little bit. Essentially, you are saying you can get jammed up despite these being MA compliant. But if you have the mag blocker around you can just say you were cleaning the mags and left the blocker out momentarily. It’s a small tab that fits in the follower that can be removed. In the case of Glocks, it can be cut to cater to different models. Completely MA-compliant, legit and legal.

“Apr 14, 2020 – Jul 31, 2020
All brands, models, and makes

California - Compliant
Colorado - Compliant
Connecticut - Compliant
Hawaii - Compliant
Maryland - Compliant
Massachusetts - Compliant
New Jersey - Compliant
New York - Compliant
Vermont - Compliant

NO RIVETS, NO PINS, NO GLUE, only Magazineblocks patented magazine capacity limiter. You can clean your magazine, disassemble your magazine, replace parts, and your lifetime warranty will never void.

Sig Sauer, Springfield, Beretta, Glock, FN, HK, CZ, WALTHER, RUGER, S&W, COLT and all others not listed.”

EDIT: the info below may result in unreliable feeding or bolt catch problems. You’d also want to cut away some of the feed lips.

The modded M1A/M14 mags were used in the second generation Armalite Ar-10B's not the original pattern magazines which the SR-25 use.
The original waffle mags are what Knights used and put new guts in before they started producing their own. Knights sold both styles before 1994.
I can take pictures of El Dorado. [wink]

Last edited:
The modded M1A/M14 mags were used in the second generation Armalite Ar-10B's not the original pattern magazines which the SR-25 use.
The original waffle mags are what Knights used and put new guts in before they started producing their own. Knights sold both styles before 1994.

Ha, yeah. I was mistaken because I tried it in an AR10A pattern lower and the magazine fit just fine (see image above). But the magazine does not have the necessary tilt to feed the rounds properly. It would require some work to the feed lips to get them to angle up. And it also probably wouldn’t be reliable enough for the given mission set that a 20 round mag would be desirable for.

I am just glad that there is some standardization happening now in the new .308 rifles around the Magpul LR/SR 25 magazine.
I really hope that the CZ Bren 2 Battle Rifle ends up using one instead of something proprietary (I think it does).

Last edited:
These are both pre-94 Knights mags.
They are out there you just have to keep looking, I was able to get mine for a "normal"price considering that new KAC mags are $95 bucks each. Believe it or not some gun people aren't out to ass-rape people in ban-states. Dont get me wrong most are, but there are some that aren't also. LOL.

pre94sr25.jpg

Last edited:
The double negative through me off a little bit. Essentially, you are saying you can get jammed up despite these being MA compliant. But if you have the mag blocker around you can just say you were cleaning the mags and left the blocker out momentarily. It’s a small tab that fits in the follower that can be removed. In the case of Glocks, it can be cut to cater to different models. Completely MA-compliant, legit and legal.

“Apr 14, 2020 – Jul 31, 2020
All brands, models, and makes

California - Compliant
Colorado - Compliant
Connecticut - Compliant
Hawaii - Compliant
Maryland - Compliant
Massachusetts - Compliant
New Jersey - Compliant
New York - Compliant
Vermont - Compliant

NO RIVETS, NO PINS, NO GLUE, only Magazineblocks patented magazine capacity limiter. You can clean your magazine, disassemble your magazine, replace parts, and your lifetime warranty will never void.

Sig Sauer, Springfield, Beretta, Glock, FN, HK, CZ, WALTHER, RUGER, S&W, COLT and all others not listed.”
Fair, I just think since they're not permanently modified to only hold 10, I wouldn't trust it. We had the example where one of the fixed mag AR lowers was destroyed to show it could accept a detachable mag, and a man charged with an AWB violation. I think opening the mag as designed will be much less of a stretch.

I think a strong case of massprudence, and it may meet the letter of the law, but my risk tolerance is too low to buy any.

Having lived through the Clinton years this always struck me as odd. The AR-10B was released by the new armalite (which was not the same as the original company) a few years after the Clinton gun ban took effect. Armalite modified M14 magazines for use in the AR-10B. But at that time Pre 1994, 20 round FN- FAL magazines were plentiful and cheap, less than $10 each. But M14 magazines were selling for about $30 before armalite modified them. After modification, close to $50.

They are out there you just have to keep looking, I was able to get mine for a "normal"price considering that new KAC mags are $95 bucks each. Believe it or not some gun people aren't out to ass-rape people in ban-states. Dont get me wrong most are, but there are some that aren't also. LOL.

View attachment 368935

Do you know if there are any differentiating markings on the non-waffle mag compared to post-ban SR-25 mags?

Having lived through the Clinton years this always struck me as odd. The AR-10B was released by the new armalite (which was not the same as the original company) a few years after the Clinton gun ban took effect. Armalite modified M14 magazines for use in the AR-10B. But at that time Pre 1994, 20 round FN- FAL magazines were plentiful and cheap, less than $10 each. But M14 magazines were selling for about $30 before armalite modified them. After modification, close to $50.

My bet is 922(r). FAL mags are typically imported. There have been multiple US-made FAL mags, such as Moses Mags, and DSA is currently making mags for their own guns, however, these are exceptions, not the rule. An imported FAL mag adds three foreign parts to a 922(r) list. With most FAL mags being imported, maybe there was uncertainty at the time about the future status of mag availability, whereas M14 mags were made here and aren't really going anywhere. Even in places like Mass.

That and FAL mags are pretty different from M14 mags. FAL mags have a male locking catch on the front; M14 mags have a female hole that locks into the receiver.

FAL mags:

1593433766068.png

M14 mags:

1593433782082.png

My bet is 922(r). FAL mags are typically imported. There have been multiple US-made FAL mags, such as Moses Mags, and DSA is currently making mags for their own guns, however, these are exceptions, not the rule. An imported FAL mag adds three foreign parts to a 922(r) list. With most FAL mags being imported, maybe there was uncertainty at the time about the future status of mag availability, whereas M14 mags were made here and aren't really going anywhere. Even in places like Mass.

That and FAL mags are pretty different from M14 mags. FAL mags have a male locking catch on the front; M14 mags have a female hole that locks into the receiver.

all true but since the Armalite AR-10-B was us made those three foreign parts would not have matttered and also consider that hundreds of thousands of FAL mags were already in the us and once the mag had to be modified it would have made little difference. As I recal close to the end of the Clinton ban M14 mags were getting scare bad prices were rising. Finally there has been mixed messages about 922 (r) some say the mag is one part. others say as you do that it is 3

all true but since the Armalite AR-10-B was us made those three foreign parts would not have matttered and also consider that hundreds of thousands of FAL mags were already in the us and once the mag had to be modified it would have made little difference. As I recal close to the end of the Clinton ban M14 mags were getting scare bad prices were rising. Finally there has been mixed messages about 922 (r) some say the mag is one part. others say as you do that it is 3

Armalite 2.0 has been in business continually since the reboot, so they've presumably got some business acumen. They likely crunched the numbers and figured out that it cost $X amount to convert a M14 mag and $Y amount to convert a FAL or G3 mag, and $X < $Y.

View attachment 368935
Do you know if there are any differentiating markings on the non-waffle mag compared to post-ban SR-25 mags?

I just heard back from KAC about preban identification. They were extremely prompt and helpful:

“ We have gone through many magazine changes over the years. The Waffle Mag and the 1st Generation SR-25 Magazines are both pre ban. The 1st gen magazines are the ones that overlap at the front with spot welds that look like a USGI mag type weld. These are the only two magazines we know of that are pre ban that were made.”

I just heard back from KAC about preban identification. They were extremely prompt and helpful:

“ We have gone through many magazine changes over the years. The Waffle Mag and the 1st Generation SR-25 Magazines are both pre ban. The 1st gen magazines are the ones that overlap at the front with spot welds that look like a USGI mag type weld. These are the only two magazines we know of that are pre ban that were made.”

When building my DPMS/KAC pattern AR308, I did my own research regarding SR25 mags. A rep from KAC said that if the mag is a waffle version or a smooth version has 4 rivots in the front, it is definitely pre 94. They also said if the mag has the 2 fold overs and welded on the edges and with KAC stamped at the bottom with NO "Restricted for LEO" printed on it, it is most likely pre 94 but they can't say for sure.

That's consistent with all of my magazines (including one's still in the wrapper). They have glossy blank floorplates and (6) spot welds up the front like a USGI mag. The new mags have (5) edge welds on the right leading edge. I have 5 round mags from pre-94 that also have this edge weld pattern so it doesn't surprise me that there might be some 20 round mag bodies that were constructed this way also. These magazines have the same base plate but it is stamped with a "5".

M14 mags have a female hole that locks into the receiver.
tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom