Where to buy shellac flakes in Watrtown-Boston area

I use flake on a regular, woodcraft in foxboro has a good amount. I believe the store in Woburn just closed, and the last time I was at rockler about a year ago they had none. I was just at woodcraft last week and the had a bunch

Rockler is the closest. The free parking is in the rear of the building, a smaller lot. Might be pretty tight with the snow. Woodcraft used to be on montvale ave in woburn, they are now in a bigger location in the industrial park near the Lowes up there. Plenty of parking since it's an industrial park. I would call each before you go.

Other, further away options if they are out are rockler salem nh and woodcraft walpole.

- - - Updated - - -

I use flake on a regular, woodcraft in foxboro has a good amount. I believe the store in Woburn just closed, and the last time I was at rockler about a year ago they had none. I was just at woodcraft last week and the had a bunch

They moved to a bigger location. The parking at the old location stunk, the lot was way too small. They were at the old location for 60 yrs or something.

There's a Woodcraft in Foxboro now?. Good to know, thanks NES

If I remember, it:s when you are going up or down a hill on the south side of rt 1. It is in the middle of a strip mall type building.

I never knew about parking in the rear. Thanks!!

Parking is limited so don't get too excited. A mid size suv is fine, I wouldn't bring a extended cab pick up back there.

Thanks guys. I think woburn will be the closest since i'm in Auburndale. I shoot at mass rifle it's like 15 min drive from west Newton. If some of you remember my "strange svt stock" thread i was searching for replacement original stock. Finaly found one in Canada but it's all pealing so gotta refinish it when it arrives. Any tips on refinishing?

Shellac is a great finish to work with. Prep is key, sand down all the way though 800 grit to get all your scratches out. You can apply it several ways but my favorite is the French polish filling the grain you can do a couple of ways slop it on and sand it off don't go to far and go through your grits again. Also can be done with pumice and a pad. Can go on and on. If it doesn't work for you hit me up woodworking is my trade and am always looking for fun side projects

Thanks for advice Scott. I heard some people remove old shellac just buy wiping it with denatured alcohol. Any difference/advantage using alcohol vs sanding?

Back
Top Bottom