Where to buy linotype locally?

I just realized I am down to 1 ingot of linotype. I need to buy more, but would rather buy it locally than get raped on shipping, as the stuff is obviously heavy.

I live in Newmarket, NH and would drive a fair distance.

The Linotype I have is 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead. I would like to find the same alloy, as it has worked very well for me.

Thanks

Most of the printing companies have long since sold off their inventory of linotype.

If you have some OLDER printing companies near you, you might check with them.

It might come in the form of blocks of letters, artwork, etc.

Most of the printing companies have long since sold off their inventory of linotype.

If you have some OLDER printing companies near you, you might check with them.

It might come in the form of blocks of letters, artwork, etc.

There is actually a really old print shop near my dad's that closed down a while ago. I think I will try to see who owns it and if they have anything left. I know a ton of the equipment is still there, as they recently put out a sign about selling it. Thanks Duke, I never thought of that.

I just realized I am down to 1 ingot of linotype. I need to buy more, but would rather buy it locally than get raped on shipping, as the stuff is obviously heavy.

I live in Newmarket, NH and would drive a fair distance.

The Linotype I have is 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead. I would like to find the same alloy, as it has worked very well for me.

Thanks

I don't know what kind of quantity you were looking for but RotoMetals advertises free shipping for purchases over $99. I played around on the website and if you order 40 units you'll get free USPS for a total of $99.60 delivered to NH. Same specs as you were looking for. Less than that and shipping started at around $25 as you described. (If it's way more than you needed, maybe you could organize a mini-group buy [wink] ) Direct link is
http://www.rotometals.com/produc-p/Linotypealloy.htm

Last edited:
Try some of your local scrap yards they might have Linotype on hand. The local scrap yard near me has it on a semi regular basis. Solomon Bros on the Lynnway if your interested.

Try some of your local scrap yards they might have Linotype on hand. The local scrap yard near me has it on a semi regular basis. Solomon Bros on the Lynnway if your interested.

I called the local place, and the woman that answered told me she would ask the guys out back if they had any. After sitting on hold for 10 minutes, and calling back again to be put on hold, I took it as a no. I might take a ride down though, as I can just go out and ask myself.

Linotype is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Printers no longer use this method. There is also the risk of getting linotype contaminated with zinc. This will render the alloy useless for bullet casting (bad leading).

Linotype is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Printers no longer use this method. There is also the risk of getting linotype contaminated with zinc. This will render the alloy useless for bullet casting (bad leading).

That is what I have been told as well. The stuff just makes such nice cast bullets though. I like being able to shoot full house 200gr 30-06 loads on the cheap, and I like it better than trying to make my own alloy.

I have dealt with zinc contamination before, one of the first times I smelted wheel weights. I didn't separate them properly and ended up with a 10# block of junk. I have been careful ever since and haven't had that problem. The linotype I have casts super nice, and I don't alloy it with anything. So as long as it is zinc free when I get it I will be OK. I usually but Linotype from a reputable source so as to avoid that problem.

I mix my lino 50/50 with ww and the alloy,according to Lyman's 48th,is equal to no 2 alloy. My LBT mold made to cast 320 gr from ww .456 dia bullet cast out at 326 - 330 gr using the 50/50 mix. Just bought a 454 Casull and I'm dying to try them out.

Back
Top Bottom