• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to buy free-state mags and which ones to buy?

Yup, outta here! We roll out of MA for Tennessee on Saturday 9/20, 4 day drive pulling the bike. When I arrive I plan to see at least one box in the living room with goodies, got a contractor there doing work while we finish up things here so the house (kitchen and bath) will be done when we arrive. He's already told me he'll put any deliveries in the house for me. I'll hold off on the "heavy stuff" from TSUSA until after we arrive. A couple of boxes of magazines will be no big deal and fairly innocuous.

So, ye NES brain trust living in freedom, who should I order magazines from, and what brands? All I really need is standard .223/5.56 AR and 7.62x39 AK mags. Not a Glock guy, only have Lady Radtekk's G26 that we have a dozen 10 rounders for and never gets carried. Springfield xD's don't have 15-20 round or larger sizes that I know of, 1911's take 10's, revolvers, well, they're revolvers...

So what brand(s) should I buy, and from where? They're gonna be 99.99% range mags, at "old and fat" I don't expect I'll be doing anything more tactical than ordering takeout.

Oh, I already have a cc with a Tennessee billing address, so not worried about inconsistencies there:)

Pigeon Forge to Gloucester in 16 hrs. Wife and I alternated driving. Ugh..
If you are taking your time, Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge parkway!

Seriously...i've been driving straight to Indianapolis every 3rd weekend moving loads with my truck/trailer. I'm doing it this way to coordinate with conjugal visitation as well, so certainly not for nothing. Maybe it's what's on the other end of the drive that motivates me (mainly freedom, but the other options are nice too) but 16 hours straight doesn't really feel as bad as it should?

Fill up your tank in Sturbridge and don't stop until you get to Scranton!

Congratulations, and sorry for not adding any value to your thread...I got all my free state magazines at the gun shop 4 blocks away from my new home in Indy and they were DIRT cheap. It felt wrong, but right at the same time.

Watch for specials on the large sites, as well as the smaller ones on gen3 PMags... Get some 30 and 40 round versions (pretty cheap) and then some D60's when you're ready (for the AR15). If you have an AR10 (or when you get one), then you could also get the D50 for that. ;)

You should be able to get at least a few PMag's (standard capacity) for the price of one "pre-ban" that you had to buy in the PRM.

even I realize that an 18 hour drive with pit stops (for us women at least) likely means 20 hours. more if you actually stop and eat a meal. and pulling anything likely means you need to add a few more hours. Let's call it 24 hours travel to be "safe." How the heck does that take 4 days? Even if you just drive 10 hours a day you will be there in under 3. Geesh. Rookies. 28 hours of driving TX to NH plus 2 hours for pit stops and a hotel stay and I get there in 2 days.

BTW, IIRC, in 1997 we drove up from FL (Satellite Beach) to Methuen, MA. Did it in three days (stopped two nights). We arrived January 1st too. So none of this easy summer driving. :p

4 day drive?! Are you going 35 mph? Maybe you ought to let the wife drive! LOL
Congrats on escaping!
Long way Chelmsford to Jefferson City (East of Knoxville) is 1000-ish miles, maybe longer once I add in the "Stay the f*** outta NY as much as possible" detours. Towing my Harley on a new-to-me trailer behind a UHaul when I'm not in a rush to begin with is gonna be like Gallagher said: "Drive a little, rest a little:"So secondary roads at 50-55 is fine with me. See the scenery, relax, enjoy the ride. When we went down in June to meet contractors we drove, took two easy days each way, 8 or so hours of highway in a brand new hybrid rental. So yeah, 4 days. Get up, have coffee. Drive for a while, stop for breakfast. Drive for a while, stop to stretch and bathroom. Drive for a while, lunch. Drive for a while, find a hotel, relax. Rinse and repeat. Zero, and I mean ZERO stress. Get to home, empty trailer, unload bike, take truck to local UHaul, spend 5 days exploring the area on the bike. Come home, unpack and start living free:)

right, lol.

mr. radtekk, i'm thinking you don't need 30 rd ar mags, you'll probably fall asleep before you emptied it. [wink]
[rofl][laugh2][cheers][rockon][rofl2]

Pigeon Forge to Gloucester in 16 hrs. Wife and I alternated driving. Ugh..
If you are taking your time, Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge parkway!
We are, and I'll DEFINITELY keep that in mind! Thanks you! [cheers]

Seriously...i've been driving straight to Indianapolis every 3rd weekend moving loads with my truck/trailer. I'm doing it this way to coordinate with conjugal visitation as well, so certainly not for nothing. Maybe it's what's on the other end of the drive that motivates me (mainly freedom, but the other options are nice too) but 16 hours straight doesn't really feel as bad as it should?

Fill up your tank in Sturbridge and don't stop until you get to Scranton!

Congratulations, and sorry for not adding any value to your thread...I got all my free state magazines at the gun shop 4 blocks away from my new home in Indy and they were DIRT cheap. It felt wrong, but right at the same time.
Humor is ALWAYS welcome, and I understand your motivation to save time, I will have my motivation next to me[kiss]

PSA has specials all the time. 10 or 12 magpul with a vortex Sparc for great prices.

Just look around online.

Last edited:
BTW, IIRC, in 1997 we drove up from FL (Satellite Beach) to Methuen, MA. Did it in three days (stopped two nights). We arrived January 1st too. So none of this easy summer driving. :p
Back in my younger days I drove from northern NJ to Miami FL more than once, straight through with a copilot. Drove NJ to Indiana in 2, Indiana to AZ in 3, AZ to MA in 4, all solo. 600+ miles on a bike in Cali in a day once. Long distance is no big deal, but I'll be driving a truck carrying guns while pulling a trailer. "Gray man" is my goal, speed is NOT important. And hanging out in the right lane is a LOT less stressful:)

Back in my younger days I drove from northern NJ to Miami FL more than once, straight through with a copilot. Drove NJ to Indiana in 2, Indiana to AZ in 3, AZ to MA in 4, all solo. 600+ miles on a bike in Cali in a day once. Long distance is no big deal, but I'll be driving a truck carrying guns while pulling a trailer. "Gray man" is my goal, speed is NOT important. And hanging out in the right lane is a LOT less stressful:)
I read your 'plan' that you posted after mine... Can't fault you for the zero stress option. ;) Have your GPS set to avoid highways and see how long it takes. [rofl2]

We drove DOWN to FL from Boston in 1985 in about 25 hours. Straight shot, stopping for fuel, bathroom and maybe food (think we brought what we would eat to make it easier).

For hanging in the right lane, just watch out for the cockwaffles that don't know what 'yield' means.

She's a quick draw and a decent shot too[devil]

So how far is the Deb-crew from Knoxville?
LOL. I know she is! Forgot about that.

A long day's drive. about 12 hours. Funny thing is, I was planning a backpacking trip for next spring "out that way" which I have been "re thinking."

Yup, outta here! We roll out of MA for Tennessee on Saturday 9/20, 4 day drive pulling the bike. When I arrive I plan to see at least one box in the living room with goodies, got a contractor there doing work while we finish up things here so the house (kitchen and bath) will be done when we arrive. He's already told me he'll put any deliveries in the house for me. I'll hold off on the "heavy stuff" from TSUSA until after we arrive. A couple of boxes of magazines will be no big deal and fairly innocuous.

So, ye NES brain trust living in freedom, who should I order magazines from, and what brands? All I really need is standard .223/5.56 AR and 7.62x39 AK mags. Not a Glock guy, only have Lady Radtekk's G26 that we have a dozen 10 rounders for and never gets carried. Springfield xD's don't have 15-20 round or larger sizes that I know of, 1911's take 10's, revolvers, well, they're revolvers...

So what brand(s) should I buy, and from where? They're gonna be 99.99% range mags, at "old and fat" I don't expect I'll be doing anything more tactical than ordering takeout.

Oh, I already have a cc with a Tennessee billing address, so not worried about inconsistencies there:)

For AR mags Check PSA for DH aluminum mags, currently @ $8.99 ea., I've bought them as low as $6.99 on sale in the past and thats not for seconds either.....new fully functional mags.They come with anti tilt followers and are drop free. Never had an issue with them and I've been using them for a couple of years.

Also look at ClearView Investments for Bulgarian steel 223 mags. I think at $9.23 each. I just received some of these last week......they are excellent very well built mags and I will be buying more.

We drove from Western MA to Western NC in 2 days, both wife and I driving rental box trucks each towing a car.

Don't order mags on line. Use it as an excuse to roll around and check out all the local gun shops. P-mags are about the same price in the stores as on line down here from what I've seen.

Are you going 84/81?

I have given up on that route going to Florida ( 90/84/81/77/26/95/295/10/301/75 ) due to the endless construction including lane shifts and really really narrow single lanes on bridges. Look for climbing lanes and don't be afraid to use them.

Take as much time as you need, at speed, a trailer without brakes becomes an issue when stopping in a hurry. and the small tires ( unless you got 15" tires) and trailer bearings are not something you want spinning fast... I don't know what your bike is worth, but it is more than any time you are going to save by being in a hurry. There is no prize for first place. Besides once you drive a U Haul you won't want to drive it fast, they are real piles of steaming fecal matter.

the Inland route ( as above) is 1600 miles from house to house, the coast route is 1500. I do one short day and 2 medium days... my days of doing 24 hours of driving in 32 are over.

Last bit of advice.... look at the height markers on the truck, and make sure you watch for signage that warns you of impending danger such as fast food drive up windows

If I was an MA resident I'd certainly have an NH friend who can order from wherever. Have seen Gun Mag Warehouse occasionally advertise what I believe to be legit pre ban mil surplus stuff even..

As far as what to buy generally I like gen3 pmags, 5.56 in 20s, windowed 30s, and 40s... all of those are rock solid reliable. Go bigger and they aren't. Buy 10 packs at places like gun mag warehouse and you can save - 10 of each would be a good start.

We drove from Western MA to Western NC in 2 days, both wife and I driving rental box trucks each towing a car.

Don't order mags on line. Use it as an excuse to roll around and check out all the local gun shops. P-mags are about the same price in the stores as on line down here from what I've seen.

THAT, sir...is a convoy! You guys are insane!

Personally, if I had all my shit in the uhaul, including stuff you want to avoid NY for, I'd want to spend the least amount of nights out as possible.

Personally, I'd long haul it in a long day. Most I've done is 20 straight hours. Orlando to Boston.

It took me 3 days FT Worth to Jackson NH with my dad. A day longer than I would have taken alone.

For AR mags Check PSA for DH aluminum mags, currently @ $8.99 ea., I've bought them as low as $6.99 on sale in the past and thats not for seconds either.....new fully functional mags.They come with anti tilt followers and are drop free. Never had an issue with them and I've been using them for a couple of years.
Also look at ClearView Investments for Bulgarian steel 223 mags. I think at $9.23 each. I just received some of these last week......they are excellent very well built mags and I will be buying more.

There are a lot of shops, and Bud's Guns is 22 minutes away, right next to Smoky Mountain Knife works, which also sells guns:) I plan to make friends EARLY with my LGS:)

Take as much time as you need, at speed, a trailer without brakes becomes an issue when stopping in a hurry. and the small tires ( unless you got 15" tires) and trailer bearings are not something you want spinning fast... I don't know what your bike is worth, but it is more than any time you are going to save by being in a hurry. There is no prize for first place. Besides once you drive a U Haul you won't want to drive it fast, they are real piles of steaming fecal matter.
Last bit of advice.... look at the height markers on the truck, and make sure you watch for signage that warns you of impending danger such as fast food drive up windows
Yeah, I'd prefer bigger wheels but what I got will work until I can make it what I want. But a UHaul trailer one-way is $300, I bought one that will get the job done for $500. So "low and slow" it is... And I am NOT gonna get "Storrowed"!

My wife is a Nebraskan. They grow them hot, blonde, and bad-ass out there.[smile]
My wife isn't blonde, or from Nebraska, but she's got the other two so I'm good:)

Personally, if I had all my shit in the uhaul, including stuff you want to avoid NY for, I'd want to spend the least amount of nights out as possible.
Personally, I'd long haul it in a long day. Most I've done is 20 straight hours. Orlando to Boston.
It took me 3 days FT Worth to Jackson NH with my dad. A day longer than I would have taken alone.
No cheap roadside motels, motion sensor siren in the interior of the truck, big padlock, parked as close to the front desk of the hotel as possible along with "Hey, here's $20, keep an eye on that truck for me..."

Back
Top Bottom