• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to buy AR500

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
I am building a small rifle range and was thinking of using AR500 as a backstop (unless someone can suggest something better, ie cheaper, and works as well). Where can I buy this in a 4x8 sheet?

Dave

There's a group buy going on for AR500. The guy running the thread could probably tell you where he gets his sheets from.

I am building a small rifle range and was thinking of using AR500 as a backstop (unless someone can suggest something better, ie cheaper, and works as well). Where can I buy this in a 4x8 sheet?

Dave

I would search for local metal suppliers in your area and call them. Shipping on a plate that large would be cost prohibitive from any of the usual sellers of AR500 plate inserts and targets.

Dave,
Maybe a search along the lines of those large steel plates used to cover holes in roads during construction? Pavers/excavators, maybe even local DPW's must source those from somewhere. I purchased some steel stock from Sullivan Metals in Worcester a few years ago. Maybe they could direct you if they don't have something like this.
Matt

So, is this going to be a FMJ only range?

If he's using 1/2" plate he can shoot whatever he wants except .50BMG AP. 1/2" AR500 will stop 30-06AP.

You need to call a metal distributor. You also need to have a way to move it when they deliver it. A 1/2" 4ft x 8ft plate is roughly 650lbs.

You'll also need to paint it. AR500 is a mild steel. It will rust.

A sheet should be less than $1000. I think the last time I bought one it was $680.

Make sure when you put it in you angle it slightly to direct spall up or down. 5-10deg is plenty.

i called a few places around here that i deal with for work. I believe grant steel and turner steel could get them. Turner steel quoted me at like $540 for a 1/2x4x8 sheet

For the win!

Not to derail, but why not use dirt, old tires, railroad ties, etc? I'd be jealous as hell of an AR500 backstop, but it sounds pricey.

Railroad ties seep all kinds of nasty shit into the ground, and moving enough dirt to make an effective berm is hard with out a machine. I have thought about using plastic 55 gallon drums filled with dirt myself, but it still comes back to having a machine to fill them.

Something else I have thought about is building a double sided plywood wall out of 3/4 PT with some 2x8's and fill it with sand/dirt, but at the end of the day that is still a lot of sand to move. If I get ambitious when I get back from this trip, I will post my findings. It seems as though 6 inches of sand will stop just about anything.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-7-the-sands-o-truth/

I have been thinking the same about using a 4'x8' sheet of AR500 as a rifle backstop.

At approximately 600 it would be cheaper than trucking in fill and renting a machine to shape it.
At 60° I would have a 4' wide by 6.9' tall backstop - plenty for a backyard range (max 100 yards)

You'll also need to paint it. AR500 is a mild steel. It will rust.
For the impact face, you'd want a paint with some elasticity, but even then you'll be touching it up constantly. For the back, I'd spray on bedliner. Slow down corrosion and dampen vibrations (IOW, make it less of a 'gong').

I have thought about using plastic 55 gallon drums filled with dirt myself, but it still comes back to having a machine to fill them.Something else I have thought about is building a double sided plywood wall out of 3/4 PT with some 2x8's and fill it with sand/dirt, but at the end of the day that is still a lot of sand to move.[/url]
Sand has it's downsides. For one, whatever you put it into, punch a few hundred holes into it and the sand will start to find it's way out again.

Has anybody tried using "Buckshot gravel" (aka 1/4" - #10)? Supposed to be as good as sand for a backstop, and less prone to packing or to pouring out through bullet-sized holes, e.g. when loaded into drums.

Sand has it's downsides. For one, whatever you put it into, punch a few hundred holes into it and the sand will start to find it's way out again

While this is true, if you use horse trailer mats, basically a 3/4" rubber mat, on the inside of the strike face ply wood it is supposed to almost self heal preventing the sand from coming out. There are youtube videos of guys building traps doing just this with good success.

Back
Top Bottom