• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where the hell is all the 223?

I am so conflicted right now, while I have a healthy supply (about 1K rounds) of 5.56 I question myself if I should burn my credit card and stock up on some ammo. Either the ATF does decide to ban the M855 and that compels a run on all the other 5.56 ammo, or they don't and everyone that horded it and overspent looks foolish. I have been in this game long enough to notice the trends (post Sandy Hook when AR's we going for 2-3 times their value) and then the AR market crashed. I wonder if this would happen to the ammo market in a few years as well.

I am so conflicted right now, while I have a healthy supply (about 1K rounds) of 5.56 I question myself if I should burn my credit card and stock up on some ammo. Either the ATF does decide to ban the M855 and that compels a run on all the other 5.56 ammo, or they don't and everyone that horded it and overspent looks foolish. I have been in this game long enough to notice the trends (post Sandy Hook when AR's we going for 2-3 times their value) and then the AR market crashed. I wonder if this would happen to the ammo market in a few years as well.
Completely a personal decision, but imho, I would wait. If 1k rounds will last you at least a couple months, wait and see what happens. Either m855 gets banned or it doesn't, but prices will come down again.

Completely a personal decision, but imho, I would wait. If 1k rounds will last you at least a couple months, wait and see what happens. Either m855 gets banned or it doesn't, but prices will come down again.

I am planning on waiting, I can get to June, so I should be OK, then the summer I don't shoot and start again in Fall. Realistically I can get about 6 months with what I have. I have been reloading for some time, but I reload for accuracy and not speed (though I probably will be investing in a progressive press in the future some time). I wonder if any financially savvy individuals have done any reports on this, just as they would value a portfolio/asset and recommend a buy/sell/hold on ammo.

I was in the same boat. I've got about 1500-1700 rounds of 223, and was just about to buy another 1k just in case, then the 855 thing went viral and everything dried up overnight. Since my current supply is probably a 2 year supply (or more) based on how often I shoot, I'm not willing to overpay. By summer it'll be cheap and plentiful again.

This is why I don't like getting below 1500 rounds in .223, since my AR's are what I shoot the most. I've got a pretty decent supply layed away right now, including about 400 rounds of M855 I basically bought on a whim about 2 months ago.[grin] So if you don't shoot a lot, or you have at least a couple of hundred rounds I wouldn't start panic buying as I think this too shall pass. Honestly, if this stupidity lasts more than a couple of months I'll just start shooting my .22 or my AK and mothball the AR's for a while.

Also, I certainly wouldn't pay a huge premium for M855. It is about as accurate as M193 and even less effective as a home defense/hunting/zombie killing round. And if the ATF starts banning all 223/556 ammo I'm going to be loading up me bug out bag, putting on my tinfoil hat, and hiding out in the caves, so I'll only be able to take so much ammo with me.:)

I was at the two local Walmarts today (W Boylston and Worcester) and they both had a lot of the ZQI 5.56. 30Rds for 10 bucks, no limit. I bought more but left some for the rest of you.

This is why I don't like getting below 1500 rounds in .223, since my AR's are what I shoot the most. I've got a pretty decent supply layed away right now, including about 400 rounds of M855 I basically bought on a whim about 2 months ago.[grin] So if you don't shoot a lot, or you have at least a couple of hundred rounds I wouldn't start panic buying as I think this too shall pass. Honestly, if this stupidity lasts more than a couple of months I'll just start shooting my .22 or my AK and mothball the AR's for a while.

Also, I certainly wouldn't pay a huge premium for M855. It is about as accurate as M193 and even less effective as a home defense/hunting/zombie killing round. And if the ATF starts banning all 223/556 ammo I'm going to be loading up me bug out bag, putting on my tinfoil hat, and hiding out in the caves, so I'll only be able to take so much ammo with me.:)
Bring the AK with when you go. I hear that they're better for cave conditions. :D

Burn your credit card on a sick reloading setup :) You won't worry about these ammo scares much anymore. Powder is getting plentiful again, so now is a good time to jump in before the next drought imo.

- - - Updated - - -

In response to the OP, I've been buying all the .223 and a boat load of green paint. I'll see you at the next gun show or in the NES classifieds!

No magnets allowed.

Back
Top Bottom