Where the hell is all the 223?

Self inflicted hysteria again....

But is it just a panic for the sake of panic or do people think it's a broad 5.56/223 ban? Seems to be a bit of misinformation floating around that's helping.
As a benchmark for panic I browse PSA rifle kits. If they are available, we're fine. Right now everything is sold out, that's red alert.

There wasn't a single box of .223 / 5.56 on the shelves of my local Walmart yesterday.

They've been pretty stocked for a long time, so there has to be some panic buying going on.

A few guys at the range were talking about the ban on .223 / 5.56 also...apparently many people don't realize it's only XM855
This
I talked to a few people who managed to twist the m855 issue into all 223/556 will be banned. Walmart in West Boylston was picked clean of 223/556 yesterday except some real expensive Federal stuff.

I always have plenty of stock of what I like to shoot so this bump in supply is no big deal. However if it goes full retard I will absolutely sell it for a healthy profit :)

I luckily got a 60 packs of 20rounders of independence xm193 shipped for $6.19 a piece. Probably should have bought more now looking at this since that was probably the lowest price I've ever paid for 556

Been spending all my extra time shovelling, not shooting, so havent gone through my stock of .223/5.56. Hopefully this panic is short lived.

There wasn't a single box of .223 / 5.56 on the shelves of my local Walmart yesterday.

They've been pretty stocked for a long time, so there has to be some panic buying going on.

A few guys at the range were talking about the ban on .223 / 5.56 also...apparently many people don't realize it's only XM855

They say it's only M855 but M855 by ATFs own definition is not AP ammo! If they redefine what AP is then yes we could be facing a total ban? Not just 223 but almost all rifle projectiles.
I did not see the Huge rush on M855 on my favorite vendor right away. Seems most went for the current deals on other 223. Like the IMI razor 77gn . Was on sale for 71 cents per round shipped, wolf gold 31rnd shipped, ppu m193 34/rnd....all now sold out. The free ship deals ended also.
I think those who know once the operators can't get there m855 they will chase the other offerings.

Dicks in Portsmouth had 5.56 90rd on strip clips for $29 and still had a lot of 62 GT for 75, only 2 per customer for the GT. A lot of different rounds on clearance. And before anyone says it, Dicks does suck!

The gun community is one of the most paranoid groups of people there are. This doesn't surprise me, just like when Hillary gets elected you won't be able to find a lower for pre-sandyhook prices either.

Hopefully. I got some unused lowers I need to unload. [smile]

Hopefully. I got some unused lowers I need to unload. [smile]

I live in Connecticut; let me see if I can put put this gracefully...
We're already being butt-raped by our legislators, take a number and get in line.
Oh dear, that wasn't graceful. Oh well.

We're looking at a budget proposed by the governor that goes over the constitutionally mandated cap and the governor says "I put together a balanced budget, it's up to the legislature to meet the cap". That of course lets him stick to his campaign promise (which he's actually already violated) to not raise taxes, while forcing the legislature to raise taxes in order to make the budget work. POS.

Meanwhile, the Sandy Hook Task Force recommendations regarding additional funding for outreach to help mental illness are instead being met with cuts to mental health outreach, and there are rumblings about more gun control laws being proposed.

For the children...

I can't buy any lowers from you. They're evil, killy dangerous weapons. Never mind that the .308's in the safe can reach out and touch from far further with far more effect.
</rant>

Do you have any black anodized 80% lowers you want to get rid of for a reasonable price? PM me if you do.

I would hardly call them smart. What kind of margins are theses people making? After you factor in the purchase costs, holding costs, and all the time spent on trying to sell it what is their end gain? A couple bucks per box? Seems like a huge waste of time in terms of the return they are yielding. But most of these people are probably the same types that hang around Walmart every morning, have nothing else to do all day, so an extra $20 bucks here or there makes them feel like they cornered the market...pathetic.
I'd love to find these people and report their gains to the IRS, then we'd see how fast they would be to swoop in and create this fake shortage next time.

Depends.....gun owners are a wierd group and will pay a lot for some things. Weird enough that there are a lot of fruit loops hanging around wal mart.
But if they end up buying green tip for .40 a round and end up selling it for .80 cents then whatever....if people are stupid enough to buy M4 gery in a panic for 2 grand then who knows...but Im not all butthurt over it.

Again....these people arent creating the shortage...the government is by banning.

The gun community is one of the most paranoid groups of people there are.

Don't you think that is justified? People arm themselves in part out of distrust of the government, and the government spends a lot of time and effort trying overtly or surreptitiously trying to disarm them. The more obnoxious the government's efforts are, the bigger the reaction from gun owners.

It really just makes sense.

Of course, the NRA and the gun control groups work extra hard to crank up the volume on these things. Obama done good too. The basements and closets of America are chockablock with guns and ammo as a direct result of his speeches.

don't fall for it. Again

Have to be careful with this type of thinking. The Gov't loves when we become complacent. A few "fake" panic buying situations gets some to think the next one will be more of the same. That's when they could actually throw a real situation at us that we ignore at our demise.

I got caught behind in ammo (and reloading components) accumulation in the Clinton era.

Learned my lesson and didn't suffer at all during the first Obama ammo scare.

Sitting pretty good right now.

Everyone had time since the last ammo scare to stock up. Knew it was coming again at some point..

All those dusty 720 round cans of ZQI at Walmart that sat for years. Now they are gone.

Did not have a problem this afternoon getting ammo or bullets. Paid the same price as I did last time I bulk bought last year too.

The only .223/5.56 gun I own is a bolt action. Got a few hundred rounds match, and some bulk 855. With the low rate I shoot it, I should be gtg for the next few months.

Wasn't 855 pretty much going away eventually anyway?

Ah someone who has some intelligence!!! The military is doing away with the m855 round and going to the M855A1 round. Everyone got use to buying the all that cheap government rejected M855 ammo from Lake City that they thought it was the norm and would last for ever!

Even if the BATF didn't decide to try to reclassify it AP, it would go away because it is going of of production/manufacturing for military use. No production....no rejected lots... no ammo to sell to the civilian market...

Anyway you cut it. say good bye to the cheap M855.

http://www.aschq.army.mil/ac/aais/i..._Caliber_Second_Source/634203275890625000.PDF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom