Where the HELL can I shoot my Mosin?

So, normally I go to a buddys club to shoot this thing. No problem.

Well my brother leaves for basic Tuesday and really wanted to run a few rounds through the Mosin before leaving. My buddy is out of town and cant have us up this week. So, my first though is MFL. I call up; no steel core allowed. Freakin great considering you wont find true lead core on a whim unless you have a Yugo source or some Privi collected dust in the dark corner of your safe.

I buy a box of LVE (for $1 a round mind you) and hope that they will view it as bimetal ball and deem it acceptable. Long story short: no dice. Magnet sticks, it gets rejected. I even asked them to cut the bullet in half to make sure.

So now I have multiple packages of 54r, an eager (now disappointed) brother and a determination to find a place I can fire this.

I am joining a club soon, but waiting on my review/raise at work amd until I buy a new car.

Anyone have any ideas? Id pay someone to let us in as guests at their club even! Or you can shoot the Mosin til your hearts desire, ammo on me.

Im available all day Friday, SaturDAY and Sunday, as is my brother. He's experienced in firearms too.

Any ideas brain trust?

I may go to my outdoor range on Saturday depending on the weather. Not sure how far away you live from Gloucester but I'd be happy to have you swing by the club with your mosin, I'll be shooting mine. We can shoot whatever we want at the outdoor range but limited to lead or plated rounds and no magnum rounds at the indoor range. I always shoot outdoors since we can shoot at steel targets, wooden logs, hell even frozen turkeys and satellite dishes lol.

Last edited:
I may go to my outdoor range on Saturday depending on the weather. Not sure how far away you live from Gloucester but I'd be happy to have you swing by the club with your mosin, I'll be shooting mine. We can shoot whatever we want at the outdoor range but limited to lead or plated rounds and no magnum rounds at the indoor range. I always shoot outdoors since we can shoot at steel targets, wooden logs, hell even frozen turkeys and satellite dishes lol.

Thanks bud! I live in Haverhill so not too far away at all.

Greatly appreciated and keep me posted if you do. Ill PM you my info.

Thanks again!

Isn't there a club in Haverhill (Haverhill R&G) or is that still closed? What about in Andover (Lawrence R&G and Andover Sportsmens Club)? Never been to either of them but was curious how those places are.

I work pretty close to the Lawrence club and usually hear gunshots leaving work sometimes. Or it could just be one of the great citizens of Lawrence committing a daily shooting.

Last edited:
Isn't there a club in Haverhill (Haverhill R&G) or is that still closed? What about in Andover (Lawrence R&G and Andover Sportsmens Club)? Never been to either of them but was curious how those places are.

I work pretty close to the Lawrence club and usually hear gunshots leaving work sometimes. Or it could just be one of the great citizens of Lawrence committing a daily shooting.

I have heard Lawrence has a strange test to determine your shot. Havent really inquired much. HRG has been on my list but I was told by a few people to look elsewhere. They wouldn't go into specifics but I really need to go there and see for myself. I know a lot of members there but havent inquired.

Next CMP at Braintree R&P is the 3rd Saturday in March. They shoot March thru November, so they are on hiatus now.

Yeah plus I am a little far from Braintree. I love the club too!

Just looking to get my brother out to shoot a shoulder bruiser before he gets shipped to Texas.

If you dont find anything closer I will be going to WPRC before the weekend is out. If you want to shoot it outside I would be happy to bring you as a guest.

I shot my Mosin at MFL with standard surplus ammo. No issue at their new range (not new now).

I shot my Mosin at MFL with standard surplus ammo. No issue at their new range (not new now).
Soon as the Mosin came out the bag, RSO came over faster than you can say "steel core", magnet in hand.

- - - Updated - - -

As it stands now, think I'm going to jron's range Sunday but thanks everybody for the awesome offers/PMs!

So, normally I go to a buddys club to shoot this thing. No problem.

Well my brother leaves for basic Tuesday and really wanted to run a few rounds through the Mosin before leaving. My buddy is out of town and cant have us up this week. So, my first though is MFL. I call up; no steel core allowed. Freakin great considering you wont find true lead core on a whim unless you have a Yugo source or some Privi collected dust in the dark corner of your safe.

I buy a box of LVE (for $1 a round mind you) and hope that they will view it as bimetal ball and deem it acceptable. Long story short: no dice. Magnet sticks, it gets rejected. I even asked them to cut the bullet in half to make sure.

So now I have multiple packages of 54r, an eager (now disappointed) brother and a determination to find a place I can fire this.

I am joining a club soon, but waiting on my review/raise at work amd until I buy a new car.

Anyone have any ideas? Id pay someone to let us in as guests at their club even! Or you can shoot the Mosin til your hearts desire, ammo on me.

Im available all day Friday, SaturDAY and Sunday, as is my brother. He's experienced in firearms too.

Any ideas brain trust?

You live 15 miles away from Pelham Fish and Game and ask this kind of questions?

If you're not all set yet, let me know - maybe our schedules will fit.

Soon as the Mosin came out the bag, RSO came over faster than you can say "steel core", magnet in hand.

This is kind of amusing because there is lots of 7.62 x 39 that has a steel jacket gilded with copper or whatever, I wonder if there is lots of 54R like this too... magnets will stick.

-Mike

This is kind of amusing because there is lots of 7.62 x 39 that has a steel jacket gilded with copper or whatever, I wonder if there is lots of 54R like this too... magnets will stick.

-Mike

Exactly. I had WPA (wolf polyformance) 5.56 and the guy RAN at me with that magnet. I had only brought that kind with me, no brass. I told him it was bimetal and even showed him the box. He let me shoot it after he spent 15 mins of my paid-for time talking to the people at the front desk.

How the hell do they see bimetal ammo so infrequently that this is still an issue? Muppets.

MFL will not let you shoot anything that is magnetic anymore. I wish I had not renewed my membership there. Most of my ammo is magnetic. I just don't go there anymore because I can't shoot rifles there only handguns (steel core handguns are ok)

MFL will not let you shoot anything that is magnetic anymore. I wish I had not renewed my membership there. Most of my ammo is magnetic. I just don't go there anymore because I can't shoot rifles there only handguns (steel core handguns are ok)

I let mine lapse there.

Exactly. I had WPA (wolf polyformance) 5.56 and the guy RAN at me with that magnet. I had only brought that kind with me, no brass. I told him it was bimetal and even showed him the box. He let me shoot it after he spent 15 mins of my paid-for time talking to the people at the front desk.

How the hell do they see bimetal ammo so infrequently that this is still an issue? Muppets.

Sounds like my experience except I never got to shoot mine.

Back
Top Bottom