Where the Guns are......

ccm75

NES Member
MA # 49th.
No surprise there.

Gun ownership by state in America - statistics and rates - CBS News

And as you would expect, although the article is about legal gun ownership, a large number of the accompanying photos are guns laid out with LEO as evidence or shown in a courtroom.

And from 2013:

Last edited:

36. New Hampshire​

I'm disappointed we need to get those numbers up.

I can only assume NH residents are just better at not telling some BS pollster what they have.

my bet is that the most guns are in the states with least .gov reporting about number of guns.

No surprise on the top 10 least guns. MA, RI, MD, DE, NY, NJ, CA, IL (IL??? With all of that hunting land???? Wow), CT.

What are your top 10 gun restriction states? MA, RI, MD, DE, NY, NJ, CA, IL, CT.

Shocker. You make it harder for honest citizens to own a gun and less own guns. It does doodly-squat (thank you Granny) for your crime stats (see- Shee-Cah-Goh!), but it affects your normal citizenry.

FL at #40 was a surprise. But still ownership is more than double what it is in mASS. 16 states are over the 50% mark.

MA # 49th.
No surprise there.

Gun ownership by state in America - statistics and rates - CBS News

And as you would expect, although the article is about legal gun ownership, a large number of the accompanying photos are guns laid out with LEO as evidence or shown in a courtroom.

And from 2013:

All these articles are sh*t because they don't take a lot of things into account, like constitutional carry. In NH, I can buy a used gun from you and never appear on any books.

So, the percentages need to be inflated (by guessing) so much, they are meaningless.

They also dont take into account guns built and never registered.

36. New Hampshire​

I'm disappointed we need to get those numbers up.

I can only assume NH residents are just better at not telling some BS pollster what they have.
Probably more than half the gun owners in NH dont appear on any books. See my post above this one.

All these articles are sh*t because they don't take a lot of things into account, like constitutional carry. In NH, I can buy a used gun from you and never appear on any books.
So, the percentages need to be inflated (by guessing) so much, they are meaningless.
They also dont take into account guns built and never registered.
There are two very different studies mentioned in the first post -- the Daily Beast article is based on registration and NICS checks.

RAND combines a number of indirect indicators specifically to attempt to capture the true rate despite the confounding factors you mention. It's not going to be perfect, but it will be more accurate than relying entirely on counting registered guns/owners/dealer transfers.

Every time I read this thread title... I think of Connie Francis.

Those are also high gun crime states so the correlation is pretty clear.

I would say the correlation is zero. Take IL. High gun crime. Low gun ownership. Then take NY. Low gun crime. Low gun ownership. Same with mASS. And RI.

I would guess that gun crime is higher in FL, TX and MS. All conservative gun-toting states.

I think the correlation between gun crime is TYPICALLY based on average income level and population density - some formula of those 2. And nothing else.

I would say the correlation is zero. Take IL. High gun crime. Low gun ownership. Then take NY. Low gun crime. Low gun ownership. Same with mASS. And RI.
There is one form of proven causation -- perception of high gun crime causes politicians to push strict gun control, resulting in a reduction in (legal, reported) gun ownership. Illinois and their FOID law is an object example of legal owners disappearing from the totals.

If you break down Illinois to the county level, you find the outlying low-population counties have high gun ownership per capita, but also low gun crime.

The article gives Illinois as a whole an average of 27.8% gun ownership, however most rural counties are higher, many above the claimed national average.

Back
Top Bottom