• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

where S&W get the bad rep from

I love S&W have a few wheel guns and a 40sigma about 400 rounds through it not one problem.
Atm though i am trying not to give them any business do to location of assembly and the fact that they wont boycott selling to .gov and states abusing peoples 2nd amendment rights.

I love my S&W 's, Glocks, Ruger.

I don't have a sig.... Yet. But I'm sure I will love them too.

I don't think it matters what brand you go with. Mostly all have will fix it if it brakes.

Do the performance center/pro series use the MIM parts?

S&W's QC is all over the map... but then again, a lot of manufacturers are suffering as of late... particularly given the high demand for products. This is not a problem unique to S&W right now.

-Mike

Last edited:
My performance center S&W 1911 was the first gun I ever bought myself.

Ive had it for 10 years and its back a tack driver everytime ive ever taken it out, never a single problem.

As with anything in this world, YMMV. M&P's always felt cheap to me and i never got this boards fascination with the Shield.

S&W's QC is all over the map... but then again, a lot of manufacturers are suffering as of late... particularly given the high demand for products. This is not a problem unique to S&W right now.

-Mike

This...S&W QC always gets spotty when production increases. This happened in the late 60's and early 70's when they were fulfilling govt contracts and N frames had a waiting list. QC also dipped when owners changed hands several times. The current owners of S&W have one redeeming quality and this is based on my own experience because I have had to send two guns back to the factory in the last four years, and that is that whatever is wrong, they do make right. YMMV

SW is to gun industry as Microsoft to technology industry: producing mostly mediocre products and stealing ideas from everybody else. Chuck Hawks might have some beef with SW but he made at least some good points: The Dark Side of Smith & Wesson

I'd agree with your analogy about MS, but if you look over the entire history of S&W they have been pretty innovative: first metallic cartridge revolvers, development of .357 and .44 magnums, Model 41 Target Pistol, First DA American made 9mm Model 39, J frame revolvers, scandium framed pistols and revolvers, M&P Pistol an original design and not merely a Glock clone, leaders in casting, CNC, CAD, they do a lot of metallurgical contract work outside of the firearms industry. I don't know specifically whose ideas they have stolen? Everyone makes 1911s and ARs these days, and that is because there is a tremendous market for them. M&P Sport AR is pure genius IMO, an AR for everyman at a price that is surprisingly affordable (for an AR) now Colt has come up with a budget line AR made by a sub-contractor in Kentucky. Ruger is doing exactly the same thing with 1911s and ARs, and Colt is listening to its consumers (finally). Glock was a true innovator...25-30 years ago, but what new products have they developed since then? They keep refining their current product line, nothing wrong with that but nothing really new or innovative.

My dept. has 100 M&P 40's that we use for qualification only. These guns take serious abuse and have never had any issues. We purchased them in 2006, so I'm not sure if the quality has declined since. I personally own an M&P 45 and love it.

I'd have to say that anyone who lives in Massachusetts and says that they are boycotting S&W because of where they are located, had better do some very deep soul searching.

Wife is in the process of getting her dental hygiene license in TX so we have an out just incase.
I live in MA my family is in MA and I will continue to fight in MA until all hope is gone. I wont run and hide at first sign of oppression.

Most gun laws start in CA,MA,NY and now Ct. When no one is left to fight in these states how long do you think it will be before the cancer spreads to the rest.

Although there are a few maufacturers that I would choose over S&W any dayn (SIG , Glock, CZ and some others ), I have no doubt that Smith and Wesson produces fine and reliable firearms.

I love Smith plain and simple
I have owned a very large number of guns in my life time and have been fortunate to do my own testing side by side.
I can tell you for example that my E-series Smith 1911 shoots every bit as good as my Les Bear Premier II 1911 and cost one hell of a lot less.
This of course is all in the eye of the beholder.
I have shot many old Smith revolvers and they are hard to beet but it truly is a numbers game and you just have to look at it that way.
I have a Colt 1911 series 70 Gold Cup National Match and i think it is a boat anckor compared to my Performance center Smith but hey I had to have one right!
Anyway back to numbers, for every 10,000 units there is going to be at least 100 complete junks and that is just the way it is when tolerence stacks up the wrong way.

"where S&W get the bad rep from"

The only bad rep or boycott I recall was when the former owner Tomkins PLC made a deal with the devil Bill Clinton.

Then they started installing internal locks on thier revolvers and bending over to a Democratic White House to avoid lawsuits.

I'd have to say that anyone who lives in Massachusetts and says that they are boycotting S&W because of where they are located, had better do some very deep soul searching.

No, they need to call a proctologist, stat. I swear, we are the biggest, most vicious circular firing squad around. We don't need DiFi and Bloomberg to destroy our human, civil and constitutional rights. We're doing it to ourselves. [angry] [rolleyes] [sad2] [sad] [angry] [angry] [angry]

- - - Updated - - -

-Mike

BTDT - remember what happened back with the first AWB? [frown] All kinds of stuff shipped that never should have seen the light of day.

I am not as knowledgeable about the technology and history of firearms as many others here, but trying to learn more all the time. I consider myself the average Joe type gun enthusiast and shooter. I own S&W firearms for a very simple reasons, I prefer anything made in the USA, my first gun was an N frame .357 revolver Highway Patrolman and it has worked flawlessly for 20 years, I like thier M&P Line which is what I mainly shoot and carry, they have been very dependable and when ever I've had an issue they fixed it. Satisfied customer

some time ago when i just got into shooting/owning guns i overheard on few occasions about s&w being not very good quality. at the time i didn't have much experience with any guns and understandably those words left an imprint in my brain, and ever since i feel somewhat stand-off-ish towards S&W, although initially i loved how M&p looks and feel an wanted to get it as my first handgun. now i'm hearing the opposite - S&w is good/great quality.
maybe what i've heard was a BS and i took it at face value due to lack of personal experience but damage was already done. any thoughts on where bad rep might come from?

Believe none of what you read (especially here), and only half of what you see. Be your own person and judge for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom