• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where my Cold Warriors at???

KBCraig

NES Member
I never saw this one until tonight. Wow, that's some early '80s stuff: BDUs and steel pots. 197th Infantry Brigade, with some token 4th ID combat patches. Cop 'staches. Field grades with long hair.

Wow, that's some early '80s stuff: BDUs and steel pots.

That's my era...
iu

Fulda Gap baby!

Right On!

043991ed.png

101st Eng Bn, 26 Yankee DIV 82'-88'
Cold weather training at Ft. Drum NY with 10th Mountain to support the Gap.
Not Regular Army though. [sad]

I was on the tail-end in '89, but I did go to JRTC in Fort Chaffee and play war against the Soviet 'Opp-For'.

-chris

I was on the tail-end in '89, but I did go to JRTC in Fort Chaffee and play war against the Soviet 'Opp-For'.

-chris

My ATU roomie and ROTC classmate was from Barling. His dad was a DA Civilian at Chaffee, and they were trapped there together when the Mariel Cubans rioted. We took part in E&E exercises at Chaffee, after flying from the ATU campus in CH-47s.

Each Junior (MS-III) team leader was given a #10 can, a bag of rice, some potatoes and carrots, some water, and a live chicken. "Here's your team's rations. Feed them."

Good thing we brought our own matches. LOL

That's my era...
iu

Fulda Gap baby!
Ours were white. We had a weekend training even at Camp Ripley in MN middle of Jan. It was probably -10 outside that morning and we had a significantly long land nav exercise to complete. One of my E-3's showed up wearing those in White, and I told him to get his combat boots on because we would be moving enough to keep his feet warm.

He said he would be fine walking 8-10 clicks, which was the shortest distance on this course. I was amused and said "good to go". I shit you not an hour in to it he's tits up on his back in 2' feet so snow saying he can't walk anymore. Mr. Bunny Boots had a rough rest of a training session.

Lol. They are great for standing in the mess line though... [smile]

LP, OP, ice fishing, they are great. Moving long distances with gear through 2' of snow, not so much.

Yeah. Not during movement. I wasn’t a Cold Warrior, but I got in in 1994. So I saw plenty of those. They called them “mickey mouse boots” in my unit.

I was still learning Soviet order of battle at Ft Huachuca as late as 2000, so it goes to show you how quickly TRADOC works.

Yeah. Not during movement. I wasn’t a Cold Warrior, but I got in in 1994. So I saw plenty of those. They called them “mickey mouse boots” in my unit.

I was still learning Soviet order of battle at Ft Huachuca as late as 2000, so it goes to show you how quickly TRADOC works.
"Mickey Mouse Boots" were the MOPP overshoes in my day; the inflatable Arctic boots were "moon boots". I'm sure there were lots of variations. I was 1/11 ACR in Fulda, so I knew I was gonna die if the balloon went up... my mission was to take as many of them with me as I could.

My daughter-in-law (active E-6) and son (veteran) are at Huachuca now. I'm sure MI has caught up to at least 2002 by now.

"Mickey Mouse Boots" were the MOPP overshoes in my day; the inflatable Arctic boots were "moon boots". I'm sure there were lots of variations. I was 1/11 ACR in Fulda, so I knew I was gonna die if the balloon went up... my mission was to take as many of them with me as I could.
I was in 3-7 Cav, 3rd ID, 1983-85. We had about 100 mile stretch of border in the Franconia Region.

Our mission was to prevent war from breaking out: between the 2nd and 11th ACR’s.

My PLT SGT on a break from some meandering exercise near the Grenz. Tank is an M60A3 RISE TTS.

61130021-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom