• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where is the best place in MA to buy a Mosin 91/30 or any variants?

They're popular for a few reasons. Its the cheapest military rifle you can buy, ammo is still cheap, they're everywhere and they have history behind them. 91/30 models are the most common, followed by carbines such as M38 & M44. Other models like M91 and 91/59 are out there but fetch a higher price and are less common. Some variations and features are more desirable to collectors but unless you have extensive knowledge of them its hard to know the differences. One feature that's easy to spot is an [SA] stamp usually found somewhere on the side of the receiver. The stamp signifies capture by Finland during their war with Russia and the Fins usually re-worked the rifles to squeeze out better accuracy.

Any Mosin variant with a bore and crown in good condition should be able to hit a man sized target at 100 meters and were usually sighted for 300 hence the reason some shoot high at the typical 100 yard range here in the US. Some people buy them expecting great accuracy but its really a crap shoot on getting one that will group tight with surplus ammo and no tweaking.

As far as which model is the best, that's tough to answer since collectors often have a preference for a certain arsenal, model, etc. but if you're looking for one to start with, just about any 91/30 from the recent batch of imports should be a good start. If you want more info, check the Mil Surp Collectors section. There's a sticky with lots of information and links.
You are definitely right with different guys wanting different factories. My friend wanted tula because he liked the smoother metal on the receiver......I wanted nothing but an Izzy only because of the hammer and cycle stamp.......my though was if I was going to buy my first commie it HAD to gave the hammer and cycle[smile]

The one I got I an hit a paper plate size target at about 75 yards.......standing. good nuf or me for the price I paid. And it is fun as hell to shoot.

Last edited:
Shooters had some at about 1:00 today. 144.99. All Izzy 1943 or 1942.

- - - Updated - - -

Collectors had a mess of m44 carbines.......249 bucks or 269 bucks......as of about 11am today

Back
Top Bottom