• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where is the best place in MA to buy a Mosin 91/30 or any variants?

I have called a few places and they all seem to be incredibly overpriced (+$200), I knew a year or 2 back Four Seasons in Woburn got a few pallets in and they were going for $99 but I can't seem to find anything even remotely close to that. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The best deal I've seen is shooters outpost in Hooksett. $150 still in cosmolene with the whole package.......bayonet, two ammo pouches, cleaning kit, oil can and sling. Shooters opens up a crate or two every week. Best part about shooters is they usually have a bunch and you can hand pick them. Online who knows what you'll get. I think the days of the $100 mosin are gone unless it is a beat up specimen.

Seems to be a lot of interest on the NES forum and among my shooting buddies lately with Mosins........thinking demand is increasing the price these days. I just got my first one a couple of weeks ago......been to the range with it a couple times now and I got a good one. Nice shot groups at 75 yards.........only had to drift the front site a bit to move the shot group to the left and I'm confident with it now!

Last edited:
Find one online or something and talk to Johnny at precision point about doing an inbound transfer. You'll probably be better off money wise by the time dust settles than getting one locally, unless you buy one on a private sale.

-Mike

There is a long rack of them at Collectable Arms in Merrimack, NH (I know, not MA). I was there earlier today, and I bet they have 25-30 of them.

Prices have definitely gone up. I believe the 91/30s are going for about $179.

Online prices aren't $99 anymore, unless you hit a holiday deal or something. They mostly seem to start at $129 and go upwards for hex receivers, laminated stocks, hand picks, etc...

There is a long rack of them at Collectable Arms in Merrimack, NH (I know, not MA). I was there earlier today, and I bet they have 25-30 of them.

Prices have definitely gone up. I believe the 91/30s are going for about $179.

Online prices aren't $99 anymore, unless you hit a holiday deal or something. They mostly seem to start at $129 and go upwards for hex receivers, laminated stocks, hand picks, etc...

A friend of mine from Mass got one at shooter's in Hooksett last weekend. Shooters will let you pay for and take possession of a bolt action rifle even if you are from mass if you have your valid LTC/FID from what he told me. Pretty sure Collectors would do the same.......for a bolt action.

I've heard good things about collectors......doing to visit them this weekend actually as I've never been to his shop/

Last edited:
Bought one from Pullman Arms in Worcester 2 weeks ago for $185. Excellent condition and came with 2 boxes (40 rounds) of ammo, a little oil can, a little tool, and a bayonet with matching serial number. They had a couple more when I was there. Nice shop.

A friend of mine from Mass got one at shooter's in Hooksett last weekend. Shooters will let you pay for and take possession of a bolt action rifle even if you are from mass if you have your valid LTC/FID from what he told me. Pretty sure Collectors would do the same.......for a bolt action.

I've heard good things about collectors......doing to visit them this weekend actually as I've never been to his shop/

I bought both of my Mosins from Collectable Arms and have no complaints at all. Best part from buying from Collectable Arms is that all of their mosins have been cleaned already. You can buy and immediately shoot them if you wanted to. I just had to wipe a little cosmo off of the firing pin and bolt which took like 30 seconds. I didn't mind paying a little more since it saved me time from needing to clean it up.

Really? I was up there yesterday I didn't even know that they would sell that to someone from MA without a transfer to an FFL. Do you need to file paperwork to have it registered, or since it is like 70 years old it is not required?

Really? I was up there yesterday I didn't even know that they would sell that to someone from MA without a transfer to an FFL. Do you need to file paperwork to have it registered, or since it is like 70 years old it is not required?

Yeah you just fill out the FA10 online when you get back to MA and you're done. Handguns require to be transferred to an FFL (federal law, for sales between two parties living in different states). But Collectable Arms does not do handgun sales to MA. Some dealers do some don't, just whatever their policy is.

Last edited:
Yeah you just fill out the FA10 online when you get back to MA and you're done. Handguns require to be transferred to an FFL in MA. But Collectable Arms does not do handgun sales to MA. Some dealers do some don't, just whatever their policy is.

Thanks for the heads up, i might just do that in the coming weeks. They were $145 when i was there yesterday.

you can buy long guns out of state and take them home with you as long as they comply with the MA rules on assault weapons. Just file an eFA-10 when you get home.

Once again, for about the 500th time, PLEASE do not post the names of vendors who ship to MA.

Nice shot groups at 75 yards.........only had to drift the front site a bit to move the shot group to the left and I'm confident with it now!
Everyone knows you never drift the sights on a Mosin, you either attach the bayonet or stick the barrel between treads of T-34 and push on the stock.

Last edited:
Once again, for about the 500th time, PLEASE do not post the names of vendors who ship to MA.

Who did that on this thread? Talked about a licensed dealer in NH LAGALLY selling a long gun to a mass resident......checked for an LTC or FID and everything. Nothing got shipped to mass here. Licensed FFL involved in the sale......check.......background check complete......yes........obviously mass compliant non high cap rifle.......yes.......LTC or FID to posess.......yup.........purchaser legal to posess the purchased fire arm in purchasing state and state of residence.....yes........

What is the problem with posting this to help someone obtain a great historic rifle at a great price? Not bitching or whining just seriously wondering. Does MC mess with other state gun shops that legally sell long guns in full compliance with MGL and ATF? I get the thing about posting about web sales that ship ammo to mass because of the mass requirement to show an LTC to buy ammo.......heck the shop I'm talking about even checks for a mass LTC or FID to buy ammo if you show them a mass DL at the counter.

Edit.......didn't know a post was deleted ......someone just pmd me to let me know.,......thought the mod was pointing a me for mentioning shooters sell in them ftf

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone knows you never drift the sights on a Mosin, you either attach the bayonet or stick the barrel between treads of T-34 and push on the stock.

Wait what?

Last edited:
Why are the mosin nagant so popular at the moment and which model seems to be the best. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off three years ago they were 90 bucks......current price is about 130 to 180......they come from Russia......shit is happening in Russia.

They are actually good rifles so folks are going for them because of the above. That's my opinion anyway

Why are the mosin nagant so popular at the moment and which model seems to be the best. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're popular for a few reasons. Its the cheapest military rifle you can buy, ammo is still cheap, they're everywhere and they have history behind them. 91/30 models are the most common, followed by carbines such as M38 & M44. Other models like M91 and 91/59 are out there but fetch a higher price and are less common. Some variations and features are more desirable to collectors but unless you have extensive knowledge of them its hard to know the differences. One feature that's easy to spot is an [SA] stamp usually found somewhere on the side of the receiver. The stamp signifies capture by Finland during their war with Russia and the Fins usually re-worked the rifles to squeeze out better accuracy.

Any Mosin variant with a bore and crown in good condition should be able to hit a man sized target at 100 meters and were usually sighted for 300 hence the reason some shoot high at the typical 100 yard range here in the US. Some people buy them expecting great accuracy but its really a crap shoot on getting one that will group tight with surplus ammo and no tweaking.

As far as which model is the best, that's tough to answer since collectors often have a preference for a certain arsenal, model, etc. but if you're looking for one to start with, just about any 91/30 from the recent batch of imports should be a good start. If you want more info, check the Mil Surp Collectors section. There's a sticky with lots of information and links.

Back
Top Bottom