• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where is all the ammo?

My wife just said to me. I don't get it. If they don't have the ammo you want can't you just buy it online or have the store order exactly what you want? Ah, if only common sense was alive in massachusetts!

[FONT=&quot]Call the Gun Dept @ 1-800-237-4444 ext 132 available M-F 7-9, S 8-5 (Central Time).[/FONT]

sick of seeing grown men whine about "hoarders".
Washington.jpg

I am sorry but someone might question my definition of sufficient and call me a hoarder...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been checked for my badge but I do understand (2nd hand info) that Atlantic Tactical does this now for all ammo sales (reported in another LE forum). Nobody asked me for ID at Riley's LE shop but I also didn't buy anything there the one time I was in that shop (it's in back and to the right of the retail shop). AAA Police Supply never asked for ID, but they knew me (they were our PD's supplier) and it's probably been 8+ years since I was in there.

The HST I did buy was by mail order (LE supplier) as nobody in MA had the stuff in 50 rd boxes but that was a number of years ago too.

Correction needed here:

Yesterday I stopped in at Atlantic Tactical and spoke with Andy (Asst Mgr). I was told that ammo will be sold to anyone with a MA Resident LTC/FID, EXCEPT the Ranger series of ammo due to a contractual restriction to sell only to LE.

Correction needed here:

Yesterday I stopped in at Atlantic Tactical and spoke with Andy (Asst Mgr). I was told that ammo will be sold to anyone with a MA Resident LTC/FID, EXCEPT the Ranger series of ammo due to a contractual restriction to sell only to LE.

I wonder if it's exempt from the federal excise tax?

I wonder if it's exempt from the federal excise tax?

Only on agency purchases! Otherwise it is federal tax evasion charges that someone would be looking at!

Back probably 8-10 years ago I picked up the agency price sheet for ammo at AAA Police Supply (which didn't include FET of course). In general I could buy the same ammo cheaper elsewhere as "Joe nobody"! I didn't see any bargains on that price list.

To put a fine point on the FET issue.

Back in 1979, reserve POs in my department were NOT outfitted with guns or any other equipment. We had to buy our own or borrow one of 5 spare revolvers and holsters that were at the PD. I opted to buy and my chief ordered my Colt Trooper for me from our police supplier. He (and the police supplier) both explained to me carefully that I would have to pay FET and sales tax, fill out the form and go thru whatever checks were done back in 1979.

Do some LEOs try to dodge FET? Of course! If they get caught, they stand to lose their jobs, pension and spend time in the "big house". To me the risk (no matter how small) was never worth it for the few bucks you save (FET BTW is on the mfg cost - 10 or 11%, not on retail price).

This is the First year with my concealed carry and my newly built AR-15 which was a blast to build I would recommend building your own rifle to anyone getting into the AR. My problem is acquiring the ammo I want. Am I in a unique period where ammo is hard to get, or is this a recent problem. With my 9mm range ammo is plentiful without a doubt but I have been trying to acquire some HST 9mm for carrying and I cant believe how hard it's been to locate? Why HST? I've watched a lot of videos and it seems like a superior ammo. I'll leave it at that. And now with my AR complete 5.56 ammo seems to be my new hurdle. Can it really be so hard to keeps ammo in stock? Seriously, are manufacturers having a problem making it fast enough? I just don't get it. I don't even own a 22 LR but it's like a common joke at the store about not being able to get it. The shelves are bare. Is this a massachusetts thing or a supply issue?
Just wondering,
thanks,
jim

Are you looking for the 124, or 135 gr HST? Northeast Arms as well as Baystate Arms, both in Peabody had decent stocks of both(124 gr was in 50/rd boxes, the 135 in 25/rd boxes iirc. Don't remember the sticker prices, but don't remember thinking it was out of the ballpark high either.

Sent from the dark side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom