Where is all the ammo?

i really don't know much about ammo prices in mass because i don't shop locally because i hate paying taxes for this commy state. But for .22 hollow point i got for 2000 rds for $250 bucks shipped. standard 9mm full metal jacket is $239 for 1,000 rds winchester , hollow point is $319 for ferderal. 556 fmj standard $349 for 1000rds and green tips cost me $399 for 1,000 rds. They are overpriced?

i really don't know much about ammo prices in mass because i don't shop locally because i hate paying taxes for this commy state. But for .22 hollow point i got for 2000 rds for $250 bucks shipped. standard 9mm full metal jacket is $239 for 1,000 rds winchester , hollow point is $319 for ferderal. 556 fmj standard $349 for 1000rds and green tips cost me $399 for 1,000 rds. They are overpriced?

Lols I have 8 k of .22

I try to have at least a years worth of ammo on anything I don't reload. I don't consider it hording, I look at it as planning. I was at Walmart a while back and someone was buying .22. We were waiting for the clear and I asked what he had for a 22, and he said he didnt own one. Just buying it to resell

Collectables (aka 619 DW) in Merrimack NH will almost certainly have .223 by the case for good prices (probably the cheapest you'll find in the area).

If you can, go to Riley's LE shop behind the main store (but only open M-F business hours, no evenings) for HST in 50 rd boxes. Unsure if they have them in the retail store.

It's been a number of months since I've been up at either shop, so no idea what they have today but they always had good stuff at reasonable prices.

Problem with HST is that retail shops only carry 20 rd boxes for 50 rd prices. LE shops carry the 50 rd boxes for almost the same price as retail 20 rd boxes.

Len, do LE shops require a LE badge to buy ammo?

I have what I'm pretty sure is a lifetime supply of almost every caliber I shoot. I bought it cheap when it was readily available, and I didn't prevent anyone else from buying any of it. Call me a hoarder if you want, but I will never cry that I don't have enough ammo or that someone else is charging too much.

If you've ever read 'Patriots' - the part where after the SHTF and they go down in the basement and do an ammo inventory - that was my goal.

I remember the days where 500 round bricks of CCI .22 standard velocity where cheap and plentiful. There would be stacks of them at the LGS for less than $10 each. I used to buy two at a time (there was no limit at all on how many you could buy) and that would last me about a month depending on how much time I had to shoot. I never had any worries about there being a shortage of it, because there never was any shortage until the late 2000's. [thinking]

Im not a huge fan of shopping at the box stores, but Cabelas in Berlin/Hudson has pretty much anything you could need in stock and a lot of it. One of they guys even came over and asked If I needed 22lr....

Len, do LE shops require a LE badge to buy ammo?

I've never been checked for my badge but I do understand (2nd hand info) that Atlantic Tactical does this now for all ammo sales (reported in another LE forum). Nobody asked me for ID at Riley's LE shop but I also didn't buy anything there the one time I was in that shop (it's in back and to the right of the retail shop). AAA Police Supply never asked for ID, but they knew me (they were our PD's supplier) and it's probably been 8+ years since I was in there.

The HST I did buy was by mail order (LE supplier) as nobody in MA had the stuff in 50 rd boxes but that was a number of years ago too.

Im not a huge fan of shopping at the box stores, but Cabelas in Berlin/Hudson has pretty much anything you could need in stock and a lot of it. One of they guys even came over and asked If I needed 22lr....

I was in there a week or two ago, and the clerks were encouraging people to make multiple trips to the register to circumvent the three box limit. Makes you wonder why they even have it.

They were very well stocked. The prices looked a bit high, but not too bad if you really need the stuff.

Been buying a box or two whenever I see a decent price. .22 for about .07/rnd, 9mm for .25-.30/rnd, .45 for .40/rnd, on sale 12g, and all the rest. It stacks up pretty quick that way. I still want way more though.

I was in there a week or two ago, and the clerks were encouraging people to make multiple trips to the register to circumvent the three box limit. Makes you wonder why they even have it.

They were very well stocked. The prices looked a bit high, but not too bad if you really need the stuff.

HA...3 box limit. I walked out with 10 boxes two weekends ago! [grin]

Guess I got lucky!

OP - Where are you located? Cabela's really is well-stocked. We just need to stay on them about their "You need an FID card to buy anything even closely related to firearms, including books, empty plastic boxes, mag loaders, and even funnels" policy.

OP - Where are you located? Cabela's really is well-stocked. We just need to stay on them about their "You need an FID card to buy anything even closely related to firearms, including books, empty plastic boxes, mag loaders, and even funnels" policy.

I live in Whitman. It's near Brockton, Hanson, East Bridgewater. South Shore for short. I actually don't know of any Cabelas at all around here. Closest thing is basspro in Foxboro. Been to Four seasons it's where I bought my carry gun and had my lower shipped too. Both times no 9mm HST. On a side note one thing I noticed about BassPro is that the way the arrange the 5.56 or 223 is dumb as shit its all over the place. You want 9,40,45 it's all grouped but the center fire 5.56 and 223 was here and there which made it nuts to actually see or find what they had.

Thanks

I live in Whitman. It's near Brockton, Hanson, East Bridgewater. South Shore for short. I actually don't know of any Cabelas at all around here. Closest thing is basspro in Foxboro. Been to Four seasons it's where I bought my carry gun and had my lower shipped too. Both times no 9mm HST. On a side note one thing I noticed about BassPro is that the way the arrange the 5.56 or 223 is dumb as shit its all over the place. You want 9,40,45 it's all grouped but the center fire 5.56 and 223 was here and there which made it nuts to actually see or find what they had.

Thanks
I grew up in Hanover. I've heard of Whitman, I think. lol

New Cabela's is in Hudson, just up 495 a bit... Call & see if they have what you want, or if they'll do a ship-to-store (hst is on their website as in-stock).

You might also ask your local shop if they'll get some hst for you.

The level of stupidity astounds me sometime.

They sounded like they would seriously look into this and perhaps change policy . . . then they implemented a policy of requiring a MA LTC/FID for empty boxes, funnels, mag loaders, etc. . . . everything in the gun departments! That being the case, I seriously doubt that they will come around to doing the legal and sensible thing. Sad and another opportunity lost.

They sounded like they would seriously look into this and perhaps change policy . . . then they implemented a policy of requiring a MA LTC/FID for empty boxes, funnels, mag loaders, etc. . . . everything in the gun departments! That being the case, I seriously doubt that they will come around to doing the legal and sensible thing. Sad and another opportunity lost.
Guess that just validates my upgrading to blue for reloading last year.

Cabela's won't do a ship to store for ammo in MA. Confirmed with their corporate counsel.

Not sure what the real story is, but I asked as well via their 800 number and they seemed to indicate they were trying to work towards a solution to allow online orders to be shipped to the store and picked up. Who knows if it ever materializes.

Wasn't their legal counsel as you spoke to. Did he or she indicate they were trying to work it out, or did it sound like a complete non starter?

Edit: sounds like a no based on your comments. Sigh.

Last edited:
Cabela's won't do a ship to store for ammo in MA. Confirmed with their corporate counsel.

Pu**ies. They'd have to check your LTC/FID before they handed it to you anyway so I don't see what the problem is.

I guess if I ever find myself out that way I'll have to be that a**hole that loads up a cart to the gills, have it rung up, and walk out when they request my LTC for no legit reason. Hell, Dick's doesn't even pull that BS when buying firearm related items.

On a good note if enough of us did that it may create a few more positions of employment so that might potentially be a few more folks off the taxpayers tit. [laugh]

Not sure what the real story is, but I asked as well via their 800 number and they seemed to indicate they were trying to work towards a solution to allow online orders to be shipped to the store and picked up. Who knows if it ever materializes.

Wasn't their legal counsel as you spoke to. Did he or she indicate they were trying to work it out, or did it sound like a complete non starter?

Edit: sounds like a no based on your comments. Sigh.

That was the answer I got . . . that they would review it and perhaps change their ordering system (software change needed).

Their latest action however has jumped the shark to the point that I doubt that they would do the above.

Thanks for the info about LE stores by the way!

You're welcome.

Pu**ies. They'd have to check your LTC/FID before they handed it to you anyway so I don't see what the problem is.

That was exactly what I pointed out to them as to how to be in total compliance with MGL and still ship to store for pickup.

Just Sunday one of the CRABela's clerks wouldn't allow me to buy 2 boxes of 100 rounds. The horror. [hmmm] a-hole.

Walked out on principle, but I have been stopping in when in the neighborhood to try and build up to enough rounds to do an appleseed (1500 rounds for 3 shooters). The problem was, on the beautiful Sunday we just had, we were trying out the 'pre-ban' butler creek 30 rounders on our 10-22's and ran through over 800 rounds just plinking and having some fun after the lousy winter. Ended up wiping out my less than stellar shooting stock of .22, as well as a box of 9, 45, and even some .380.

Just went to Walmart in Raynham the one on Rt.44. Picked up 325 box of 22lr, 90 American eagle 5.56 55gr, and 5 boxes of Tula 223 55gr. Not what I wanted but scrounging. Looking for green tip, but feels like a dream right now. Just keep swimming..

I've ordered ammo and picked it up at the store in CT.
No big deal.

My wife just said to me. I don't get it. If they don't have the ammo you want can't you just buy it online or have the store order exactly what you want? Ah, if only common sense was alive in massachusetts!

Back
Top Bottom