Where in NH can we shoot?

I would like to sight in a couple AR-15s and put a few rounds thru our hand guns.
We usually use Granite State in Nashua but they are currently only open to members.
We don’t need an official range - just a place to shoot that is safe and won’t upset a bunch of people.
I could go in the woods behind our home but there is a snowmobile/hiking trail there and some of the neighbors might get upset.

Does anyone know of a place near Exeter NH or within a hour or hour and a half drive that would work?
Maybe a sand pit. I am intelligent enough to pick up my brass and not leave a mess behind.

Used to know of a nice ol’ sand pit in the WMNF managed by the Saco Ranger District. I went up there memorial day weekend last year to find out it was closed down.

After looking up the the statute code, we found that it was closed due to “damage to vegetation” but I have a hunch that it was closed in large part due to ass hats who made a mess of the place and couldn't be bothered to clean up after themselves. I once found remnants of a camp fire and shotgun shells littered throughout the parking lot, mind you the actual shooting pit was a 1 minute walk down an adjacent path.

This question is the NH equivalent of the MA "who other than TSUSA ships ammo to MA?" and/or "who will sell me a new Glock?"

Those that know aren't likely going to spill the beans because once that starts happening, it gets ruined.

Good luck. Was looking for the same. Checked out an area that would be more than the 300 feet from anything, appeared to have a safe backstop area, etc. However, when walking out, I noticed that I was covered with ticks. Guess I'll just keep having to cough up to shoot at an indoor range. (Manchester Firing Line - you can shoot a rifle there).

If I was going to randomly search where I live (and I don't need to), I would start with the trails - quite a few open to hunters, horses, bikers, though the public-ish ones they try to put up barriers to keep motorized vehicles out, not a damn thing stopping you from walking as far as you need to until a good backstop appears though. I'd try not to scare any passers by, but as far as I know 300 ft from a house, not in the town center or trespassing (ie not posted), good to go.

Anywhere in the state or national forests provided it is safe. There may be a 500 foot rule but that's easy to comply with . Google maps is your friend.

If that's too much/far for you. The guys at Granite state are pretty awesome.

Is the distance from roads/houses 200, 300, 500, or What?

There is a snowmobile/bike/hiking path at the back of my property that might work..
also a swamp area next to the path that may give us an open space.
It looks like there is over two miles across the swamp and thru the woods to anything else.
The only issue would be setting up or choosing a target that would work.. a sand bank would be better.

I would like to sight in a couple AR-15s and put a few rounds thru our hand guns.
We usually use Granite State in Nashua but they are currently only open to members.
We don’t need an official range - just a place to shoot that is safe and won’t upset a bunch of people.
I could go in the woods behind our home but there is a snowmobile/hiking trail there and some of the neighbors might get upset.

Does anyone know of a place near Exeter NH or within a hour or hour and a half drive that would work?
Maybe a sand pit. I am intelligent enough to pick up my brass and not leave a mess behind.

GTFOH!

Asking this is like asking a fisherman where his best fishing spots are!

Is the distance from roads/houses 200, 300, 500, or What?

There is a snowmobile/bike/hiking path at the back of my property that might work..
also a swamp area next to the path that may give us an open space.
It looks like there is over two miles across the swamp and thru the woods to anything else.
The only issue would be setting up or choosing a target that would work.. a sand bank would be better.
Take somebody at their word on the internet, or... New Hampshire Statutes - Table of Contents

I went to the poll line 1/4mi from my house in SoNH with my suppressed 22lr Ruger 10/20 take down in a nondescript backpack. It’s unposted land owned by Public Service NH, over 300ft from any building. I have a mile of swamp downhill for a backstop, where nobody goes. My shots were no louder than the cycling of the action with traffic noise 1/4mi away for cover.

The OnX Hunt app has maps with ownership so you can find WMAs, local, county and state lands. Find a safe backstop with no trails between you and there and shoot.

I did the research earlier today and found the following.

General 300 ft rule is made up of 2 parts.

1) hunting must be more than 300 ft from a dwelling -

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/207/207-3-a.htm

2) non-hunting shooting must only be greater than 300 ft if near commercial space or a residential area with 6 or more homes within 300 ft of each other. In other words in spread out rural areas you don't need to be 300 ft from a dwelling.

Section 644:13 Unauthorized Use of Firearms.

Back
Top Bottom