• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where do you shop?

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
Where do y’all buy your knives? Online?

Any decent brick & mortar knife shops in Massachusetts?

Visited a pretty decent one called Sawyer River Knife in Conway,NH. Owners seemed nice and pretty knowledgeable.

Headlines has a good selection of knives, I’ve found both locations to have good inventory. The owner is a big fan of Benchmade.

Was just thinking about how there aren’t many good knife shops around. Sawyers used to be in Hanover but they closed a few years back. Even in Boston there isn’t much of anything. There was one decent little shop in No Conway I stopped by a couple of weeks ago though.

I buy everything online these days, which is unfortunate given how different they can be in pictures vs in hand. On the plus side, online prices are almost always going to beat brick and mortar prices.

The place in N Conway has a nice selection, but it seems he charges over MSRP or MSRP for the Microtechs. Granted I didnt make an offer on a knife so thete might be wiggle room.

NC Knives online is cool with a good selection.

The "EDGE LAB" is moving into the Mill soon. Jack.
This is true…

Im opening a retail knife shop at the mill and offering my sharpening services.

So my original post was basically market research. Besides my full time gig I’ve had a small sharpening business that’s been quite successful for the past 2 years. I sharpen knives, chefs knives, shears etc… I sharpen for a few small bait shops, a commercial fishing boat and some restaurants. It’s been all word of mouth and I’m at that point where there’s a bit too much work for my configuration. I’ve decided I want to go brick and mortar offering my knife sharpening service and knife retail. I’ve reached out to all the popular brands and hopefully carry what the people want.

So, it’s in its infancy stage but hopefully.. in a few months I’ll be up and running.

I would really appreciate any input you all have and any recommendations or things you would like to see. Thanks

White Mountain knives in Barrington, NH often has great deals. I buy mostly spydercos from them online and haven't seen their shop in person though.

This is true…

So my original post was basically market research. Besides my full time gig I’ve had a small sharpening business that’s been quite successful for the past 2 years. I sharpen knives, chefs knives, shears etc… I sharpen for a few small bait shops, a commercial fishing boat and some restaurants. It’s been all word of mouth and I’m at that point where there’s a bit too much work for my configuration. I’ve decided I want to go brick and mortar offering my knife sharpening service and knife retail. I’ve reached out to all the popular brands and hopefully carry what the people want.

So, it’s in its infancy stage but hopefully.. in a few months I’ll be up and running.

I would really appreciate any input you all have and any recommendations or things you would like to see. Thanks

Awesome. Good luck.

As for what I’d like to see, I’d say quality knife brands, avoiding the lower priced semi-disposable stuff. Knives that people want (read: need) to hold in hand before dropping a chunk of money on. Most mill shoppers are dropping hundreds at least on guns and ammo so dropping a couple of hundred on a nice knife should seem comparatively easy.

This is true…

Good luck, looking forward to checking out your shop when it opens.

The place in N Conway has a nice selection, but it seems he charges over MSRP or MSRP for the Microtechs. Granted I didnt make an offer on a knife so thete might be wiggle room.

NC Knives online is cool with a good selection.
The problem with microtech is that a lot of people collect them. It’s rare to find them below MSRP in my experience. Usually they have a big markup.

The problem with microtech is that a lot of people collect them. It’s rare to find them below MSRP in my experience. Usually they have a big markup.

The Vero Beach era ya.

I sold off all my Vero Beach blades years ago.. Wish I would have kept them, now all I have is a few newer models.

I only have 2 left. A Halo and a fixed blade. Nice blades, but I would never use one. Too fancy

I had maybe 5 early HALO's.. Never got my grail.. The HALO 3 Tactical T/E... Still searching for it :)

Last HALO I had was a 5 prototype I sold to some guy in NH on here I think... A while ago.

Any updates on the shop? Also, are you set up to hone straight razors?
I was just coming to say that I’ve opened, kind of. I should say it’s a soft opening. I don’t have regular hours yet and because I’m just starting inventory is a bit low but I’m building it up. I’ll be there tomorrow 9-2.

As for the straight razor…I don’t have a wheel with high enough grit to do a straight razor. I’ll let you know if I get that setup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom