• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where do you put your nightstand gun when your at work?

Probably a hard question to answer on social media for obvious reasons. Do you lock it back in the safe or hide it? Assuming you don't carry at work. Been thinking of one of those quick entry safes for under the bed instead of putting it back in the safe daily. Maybe hidden in a pile of skivvies[laugh][laugh]. No kids scenario.

Hidden in the skivies drawer could get you a "safe storage" violation charge if discovered. I either carry it or it stays in the lockbox.

In my pocket...Elsie Pea.

Not supposed to have firearms at work but concealed means exactly that. I work in the middle of nowhere, the only security we have is a fat redhead woman at the front desk who answers phones and attempts to be our HR person. It would take too long for the local cop to get to my place of work from the local DD's in case something went down.

Speedvault bolted to the side of the nightstand.
Can program it to push 3 buttons (takes about 1second), pistol pops out.
http://www.gunvault.com/sv500.html
I wouln't keep in in there when i go off on vacation, lock it in a better safe.
But it takes care of the legalities in the PRM and its as quick or quicker than opening the drawer.
Can find it for around $150 on sale sometimes.

i would take a nightstand and shorten the drawer so that you can attach a night gun to the back panel then put a false panel with a finger hole near the top over it so it is not seen even if the drawer is removed. assumming a locked house is safe storage you are all set.

But it takes care of the legalities in the PRM and its as quick or quicker than opening the drawer.

Use the same one. Works great. One feature I didn't realised it had was that after a number of wrong combination attempts it locks out the keypad completely and you need the key. (Have a toddler so its better piece of mind that he can't spend the equelivent of days over the next few years of hitting random numbers until it unlocks)

I own about 10 of these: http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV30...d=1443879422&sr=8-2&keywords=firearm+lock+box

One in every vehicle so its there if I ever need it and one in each nightstand.

Also remember, it is hard to argue that it is in your direct control if you are sleeping and it's in the drawer next to you.

I also use them for flying with my firearms.
Good advice everyone. Looks like ill pick up a few of these. One for the truck.

I have a small in the wall safe that's hidden where I put the gun when I leave for the day. I'd like a bedside safe that's secure and a little more covert. I'm more concerned with theft than meeting state requirement.

It is on me during the day. If for some reason I am going to a lot places where I can't bring it then it is in my gun safe. I also have 50 state and TSA certified lock boxes installed in each vehicle.

I comply with New Hampshire law.

One feature I didn't realize it had was that after a number of wrong combination attempts it locks out the keypad completely and you need the key.
Attempt rate limiting is definitely one of the upsides of a well-designed electronic lock. Actually, with a properly engineered digital push-button lock, the weakest point in the system is the presence of that key bypass.

I don't work. But my guns have trigger locks on them when I go out. My nightstand gun is my carry.

I believe there's case law that doesn't agree with such a premise. Can't remember the cite offhand, maybe someone else will.

Commonwealth v. Parzick, a locked bedroom was not found to be a "locked container" for the purposes of "safe storage".

I should maybe amplify my answer a little. Please bear in mind that I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc., etc.

Parzick is kind of complicated in its implications. The court in Parzick did not rule out the possibility that a room in your house could meet the standards of Mass.'s safe-storage laws. It specifically found that Parzick's setup did not meet the requirements of the law. The lock on Parzick's bedroom door was a "privacy" lock that could be defeated easily by a small child with a paper clip or small screwdriver and had a pushbutton on the inside. I think most of us would agree that that doesn't pass any kind of reasonable person's "laugh test" for security, and it didn't fool the court either. So they ruled that because the lock was so laughably and obviously insecure, Parzick had violated the law. The court did not say that a locked room of your home couldn't ever meet the safe-storage requirements.

What's the *minimum* level of security a room in your home would have to have in order to be considered a "secure container"? Consider, for instance, at the other end of the spectrum, someone with a particularly large and/or valuable collection who has a "gun room" constructed like a bank vault in his home, with concrete walls, a steel-plate door, and a suitably strong and tamper-resistant locking mechanism. I think if I had such a setup I would be able to sleep at night believing that I was in compliance with the law.

What if Parzick had gone up just one level and, instead of that laughable privacy "lock", had used, instead, a key-in-knob lockset that had an honest-to-goodness key lock in it? Your guess is as good as mine which way the court might have ruled. Honestly most rooms in most houses are still laughably insecure. Key-in-knob locks are easy to defeat by brute force or by picking. Hollow core doors can be readily smashed in with little effort. Walls that are drywall-and-studs can be easily breached. Windows can be broken or jimmied open. Etc., etc. I personally would not try to claim that a room in my house was a "locked container" unless I had taken steps to secure it over-and-above the typical room in the typical home. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Let's face it, much of safe-storage, modulo a couple of well-documented examples that have been carved out, is a grey area. Trigger locks are specifically called out in the law as compliant, and a locked plastic container was called out in Commonwealth v. Lojko as compliant. So it would seem that you don't need Fort-Knox levels of security that would deter a team of seasoned yeggs to be compliant; you just have to have a level of security that would thwart casual tampering. Again, YMMV, and certainly, many NESers go above-and-beyond the requirements of the law by availing themselves of higher levels of security. Having your guns stolen sucks in all sorts of ways.

As an aside, in some of the commentary on this case, I've seen allegations that Parzick was not a sympathetic defendant. I've also seen a claim that Parzick's defense was merely an afterthought, a "hail Mary" to try to beat a safe-storage charge. Hence Comm2A's frequent observation that "bad cases make bad law"--this case certainly looks like an example.

Neither does a soft-sided zipper locked gun cases or a glass front locking cabinet but they're gtg.[rofl] it's not about safety it's about control, same as every bit of gun control.

Back
Top Bottom