Where do you buy bullets?

"Most people don't reload for carry - they carry factory ammo and tune a reload to the same point of aim and recoil."

Can anyone elaborate a little on this? What do you mean tune a reload to the same point of aim and recoil.

Is that to say that you use the factory ammo and get the reload to shoot like it. Do you test that by groupings. Like you have a factory 124 jhp and get idk 2.5"@10 yards and then tune the reload to try and get that same grouping. Sorry if it's a kinda jumbled up post.

you're overthinking it. just trying to clone a round in the simplest term like feel/recoil/recovery.

you want confidence that you're training w/ some reasonable accuracy. it all goes out the window in a real adrenaline fueled situation.

A bit of advice , you do NOT want to use handloads for your defensive carry. In the event you are forced to use deadly measures and you were found to be utilizing handloaded ammo you WILL be in a major legal liability battle.
I thought this was disproved a few years back. Or at least marked as something that probably doesn’t matter considering in MA you’re screwed and best case scenario you lose your livelihood and everything you own so who cares about one extra charge on top of the 4600 existing charges

A bit of advice , you do NOT want to use handloads for your defensive carry. In the event you are forced to use deadly measures and you were found to be utilizing handloaded ammo you WILL be in a major legal liability battle.
This sounds like something you’d hear at a gunshop or from a cop….
Let’s not get this thread off the rails lol

Last edited:
This sounds like something you’d heat at a gunshop or from a cop….I don’t believe there’s any case law/proof that this has happened?

Actually the comment was highly suggested to us from attending a personal defense class at my gun club. No different than if you are involved in a deadly defensive situation and LEO starts asking you questions. Your ONLY reply should be "I feared for my life, i wish to speak only to my attorney". Im not implying its law , im implying this is the SMART courses of action to protect yourself from liability as best as possible.

This sounds like something you’d heat at a gunshop or from a cop….
I don’t think he’s totally wrong but I agree with the fact that you're screwed anyway. They will charge you for the wrong color shoe laces if they can.

I agree an eager DA will throw anything that might stick, but what would/could be charge for using a handload in self-defense? What exact law would be broken? IANAL.

now back to where do you buy your bullets..

I agree an eager DA will throw anything that might stick, but what would/could be charge for using a handload in self-defense? What exact law would be broken? IANAL.

now back to where do you buy your bullets..

Im not speaking in regards to criminal charges, im speaking in regards to the guaranteed civil lawsuits that will follow a deadly defensive encounter lawsuit.

ahh.. yes.. "you made the extra-killy bullets by hand, thus you should pay more toward Mr. Didnt D. Nuffin's death."

by that point, after your criminal defense budget is expended, what's left for them to take.. LOL..

"Most people don't reload for carry - they carry factory ammo and tune a reload to the same point of aim and recoil."

Can anyone elaborate a little on this? What do you mean tune a reload to the same point of aim and recoil.

Is that to say that you use the factory ammo and get the reload to shoot like it. Do you test that by groupings. Like you have a factory 124 jhp and get idk 2.5"@10 yards and then tune the reload to try and get that same grouping. Sorry if it's a kinda jumbled up post.
You got it
I use cast bullets that drop at about 130gn to "replace" my 124gn federal hst
Pick a powder (silhouette) that gets me close to the 1150 fps and then do ladder loads to see where POI is close enough for practice.
For pistol distances, Same weight and velocity is usually close enough. If it isn't then a different bullet shape or size is needed.

Just remember when I say the "same" it's not exact, it's close enough that you don't need to change how you train.
Using 100 reloads at 0.20/ea to develop a substitute is much better than limiting training because your carry ammo is $1-$1.25/ea

ahh.. yes.. "you made the extra-killy bullets by hand, thus you should pay more toward Mr. Didnt D. Nuffin's death."

by that point, after your criminal defense budget is expended, what's left for them to take.. LOL..
The same thought applies to using +P, heavy than "normal" bullets, anything marketed as having extreme or extra stopping power.
Any decision you make will be portrayed as you looking for the most deadly option.
Countering that BS is why you let your well paid lawyer talk.

As far as where to buy bullets - find one that shoots well for you and then buy them from the seller with the best support then best price.
Or cast and be the supplier...

Actually the comment was highly suggested to us from attending a personal defense class at my gun club. No different than if you are involved in a deadly defensive situation and LEO starts asking you questions. Your ONLY reply should be "I feared for my life, i wish to speak only to my attorney". Im not implying its law , im implying this is the SMART courses of action to protect yourself from liability as best as possible.
My only reply to cops will be, "talk to my lawyer".

I thought this was disproved a few years back. Or at least marked as something that probably doesn’t matter considering in MA you’re screwed and best case scenario you lose your livelihood and everything you own so who cares about one extra charge on top of the 4600 existing charges

This sounds like something you’d hear at a gunshop or from a cop….

Agreed, I'm pretty sure it was debunked years ago, but who knows. The better reason to not reload your carry ammo is dependability. I have had no issues with any of my reloads, but it's just plinking ammo.

It might not be a bad idea to have the components on hand to reload carry ammo just in case you haven't properly stocked up.

Thats something that was started by this guy
He's right up there with Jim Zumbo.

1665564052589.png

So years ago (back in the 80's maybe?) he posed the question about legal defense and reloaded ammunition. The legality of it and custom loads (they called them "cop killers") like teflon coated hollow points that had these mythical properties of going through a dozen elephants.
At the time there were no cases involving reloaded ammo, and I don't think theres been one since, but in typical douchebag fashion, this potato does a "what if" and then kind of walks away from it.
Its kind of spread like wildfire since Al Gore's invention the internet.
The original argument or "discussion" gets regurgitated every couple of years because they've just run out of talking points.

It was around 2008 or so when I spent a day or so cruising around the interwebs, right when I started reloading, because of some mouth breathing pantsshitter on a bookface reloading page.
And we all know facebook has the best reloading info ever.
At the time there were links to the article, I want to say it was an interview in American Rifleman or one of those n.r.a. propaganda magazines. The websites are probably now defunct and throw the 404 error.

I've used and had very good luck with:

For coated bullets, I like:

If you are trying to simulate your carry ammo, you should first, chrono the ammo in your firearm to determine the velocity. Then you can get similar weight bullets and load them to the same velocity, or work up a load that hits to the same point of aim as the carry ammo and don't worry about velocity. Eventually, you will realize that it really doesn't matter. You can come up with a load that works reliably in your gun and hits where you aim, and use it for lots and lots of practice.

Back
Top Bottom