Where do I shoot now?

North Grafton FG&B Club went through a similar incident with a resident claiming bullets wizzing past his back yard. The town shut the range down, some improvements were made to the shoot house and berms and other changes to policies too but in the long run it was hiring a lawyer that told the town they didn't have the authority to close the range that opened the doors again.

Wasn't there a range protection bill passed years ago in Massachusetts that prevents nuisance complaints from closing ranges...expecially by developers?

It's worth looking into. I've been going there for ~30 years.

PRO's:
1) The range is laid out correctly. You fire in a northward direction, so the sun is at your back.
2) Good distances; I believe at least out to 500 yards. At one time I believe it went out to 1000 yards, but that was cut back as development occurred in the bullet impact zone.
3) Not terribly expensive to join.
4) Longitudinal berms to separate the shorter distance ranges from the longer ones. At one time there were no berms, so the entire line had to be shut down if anyone wanted to change/check targets. Now you only have to shut down one portion and others can continue firing.
5) I do not believe there are any caliber/bullet restrictions except for tracers. Considering the amount of vegetation there, tracers would probably not be a good idea in any event.
6) They rent target frames and sell paper targets at a very reasonable price. (Example: target frame rental is $1.00. You can bring your own, but they have to conform to their dimensions.) Water, soda, and coffee are also available at low cost.
7) The range house is large and has some comfortable seating. Big fireplace with a cast iron stove to warm yourself up on chilly days. Air conditioned in the summer.
8) There are shooting benches and chairs available at the firing line. There are some stationary metallic targets on the rifle sections.

CON's:
1) Absolutely no handguns are to be used on the rifle portion of the range. Inconvenient if you want to use a handgun at distances longer than 50 or so yards. Similarly, at least one of the handgun ranges has a prohibition against any rifle caliber except for rimfire. IIRC, one of the handgun ranges is mixed rifle/handgun. There are signs denoting what can be used on the various ranges. Read and heed them to avoid problems.
2) The rifle section has a canvas covering, the pistol ranges are completely uncovered. If the weather is lousy, you will get wet. Sunny weather, you will get burned. Hat, sunscreen, and bug spray are highly recommended. The City of New Bedford does try to spray for mosquitoes during the summer, but the tree line is just behind the firing line on part of the range. Early morning and dusk is feeding time for the little aerial bloodsuckers, and you will get bitten, whether the city has sprayed or not.
3) You must have a permit to use the range, unless you are a guest. Guests are limited to a single use, after which they must join for further use. I get a sense from some of the RO's that guests are somewhat frowned on. This isn't a problem unless you want to bring a newbie to the range a couple of times to introduce them to shooting. Some RO's are less strict about this than others. I wish they would issue a one day range pass for a small fee. I would gladly pay that for newbies and occasional shooters.
4) Paper targets or the existing metallic targets only. No glass, cans, etc. Necco wafers, balloons, and lollipops are okay. Pick up your trash, if any.
5) There are sanitary facilities, but they consist of Porta-Pottys. This isn't really a negative since they had outhouses for decades before this. You haven't lived until you've used an open pit outhouse on a 90 degree day, complete with nesting yellow jackets. After a few experiences with that, Porta-Pottys will seem like heaven! [wink]

All-in-all, it's actually a pretty nice place to shoot and many of the shooters there are pretty friendly. When you go into the range house you'll probably find several older guys there, a few of them napping. Don't worry if you make noise and wake them up. They'll doze off again when you leave. [laugh]

Thanks thats some great information.

That's what I'm saying. The more I think about it the more fired up I get[angry]......I wanna shoot my new rifle.

I can't help get your range open but I can help you get that new rifle sighted in. I am a member at Ames and as such am allowed to bring a guest up to twice in a calander year. If you want to send me a PM I'd be happy to meet you there and you can check out the club. It's an awesome club with a 300 yard range. Firing on the 300 yard range is done from a heated enclosure.

They also have a hundred yard range, an outdoor plinking range, an indoor pistol range with 24hr access and an archery range.

I usually make atleast one trip per week. Let me know. Sorry about your club

It's worth looking into. I've been going there for ~30 years.

PRO's:
1) The range is laid out correctly. You fire in a northward direction, so the sun is at your back.
2) Good distances; I believe at least out to 500 yards. At one time I believe it went out to 1000 yards, but that was cut back as development occurred in the bullet impact zone.
3) Not terribly expensive to join.
4) Longitudinal berms to separate the shorter distance ranges from the longer ones. At one time there were no berms, so the entire line had to be shut down if anyone wanted to change/check targets. Now you only have to shut down one portion and others can continue firing.
5) I do not believe there are any caliber/bullet restrictions except for tracers. Considering the amount of vegetation there, tracers would probably not be a good idea in any event.
6) They rent target frames and sell paper targets at a very reasonable price. (Example: target frame rental is $1.00. You can bring your own, but they have to conform to their dimensions.) Water, soda, and coffee are also available at low cost.
7) The range house is large and has some comfortable seating. Big fireplace with a cast iron stove to warm yourself up on chilly days. Air conditioned in the summer.
8) There are shooting benches and chairs available at the firing line. There are some stationary metallic targets on the rifle sections.

CON's:
1) Absolutely no handguns are to be used on the rifle portion of the range. Inconvenient if you want to use a handgun at distances longer than 50 or so yards. Similarly, at least one of the handgun ranges has a prohibition against any rifle caliber except for rimfire. IIRC, one of the handgun ranges is mixed rifle/handgun. There are signs denoting what can be used on the various ranges. Read and heed them to avoid problems.
2) The rifle section has a canvas covering, the pistol ranges are completely uncovered. If the weather is lousy, you will get wet. Sunny weather, you will get burned. Hat, sunscreen, and bug spray are highly recommended. The City of New Bedford does try to spray for mosquitoes during the summer, but the tree line is just behind the firing line on part of the range. Early morning and dusk is feeding time for the little aerial bloodsuckers, and you will get bitten, whether the city has sprayed or not.
3) You must have a permit to use the range, unless you are a guest. Guests are limited to a single use, after which they must join for further use. I get a sense from some of the RO's that guests are somewhat frowned on. This isn't a problem unless you want to bring a newbie to the range a couple of times to introduce them to shooting. Some RO's are less strict about this than others. I wish they would issue a one day range pass for a small fee. I would gladly pay that for newbies and occasional shooters.
4) Paper targets or the existing metallic targets only. No glass, cans, etc. Necco wafers, balloons, and lollipops are okay. Pick up your trash, if any.
5) There are sanitary facilities, but they consist of Porta-Pottys. This isn't really a negative since they had outhouses for decades before this. You haven't lived until you've used an open pit outhouse on a 90 degree day, complete with nesting yellow jackets. After a few experiences with that, Porta-Pottys will seem like heaven! [wink]

All-in-all, it's actually a pretty nice place to shoot and many of the shooters there are pretty friendly. When you go into the range house you'll probably find several older guys there, a few of them napping. Don't worry if you make noise and wake them up. They'll doze off again when you leave. [laugh]

2nd that, This is the place I go no problems here.

If you want to sight it in at Mansfield F&G this weekend, you can send me an Email (off username on left, PMs are shut off) and we can arrange for you to meet me there and shoot as my guest. We only have 50 and 100 yd ranges, so I don't know if that is suitable for what you want to do or not.

map.jpg

doesnt seem to quite line up.......

also, on the TRPC indoor range, are pistol caliber carbines allowed? I have a 9mm AR project that could be bumped up if that is the case.

Ames Rifle and Pistol

After looking at that map and using the most left Ballistic calculator I figured out how EXACTLY that happened, see attached.

Ames is a great range, Heated/Enclosed 300 yd line, covered 100 yd line, covered reactive Pistol range, and 24 HR indoor range, and Flushing Toilets on scene. Folks are pretty nice there, I wasnt able to get down last year, but this summer I have some toys that need some love.

http://www.amesrpclub.com/

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 63
After looking at that map and using the most left Ballistic calculator I figured out how EXACTLY that happened, see attached.

Ames is a great range, Heated/Enclosed 300 yd line, covered 100 yd line, covered reactive Pistol range, and 24 HR indoor range, and Flushing Toilets on scene. Folks are pretty nice there, I wasnt able to get down last year, but this summer I have some toys that need some love.

http://www.amesrpclub.com/

[rofl] That looks about right.

I agree that what you came up with is a definite possibility! [laugh]

It could be as simple as a piece of copper/brass that was stuck in someone's tire flying loose on the highway and embedding in a windshield. I've had 22 cases embed themselves in the cleats of my running shoes, so it certainly could have happened this way . . . just damn difficult to prove, but the club would still take the blame regardless.

I was driving home the other day and caught a piece of metal in my tire, I think I am going to have the Construction company I have to pass on my way shut down, Clearly the small undistinguishable piece of metal had to be theirs.

map.jpg

doesnt seem to quite line up.......

also, on the TRPC indoor range, are pistol caliber carbines allowed? I have a 9mm AR project that could be bumped up if that is the case.

From their website:
ATTENTION !!!! CHANGES TO INDOOR RANGE APPROVED CALIBER LIST

There have been several changes to the list of approved calibers for indoor range use.

30 Carbine and .327 Magnum calibers have now been approved for handgun use on the indoor range.

The executive board has also approved the use of center fire carbines chambered for handgun cartridges. The list is limited to the following calibers:

TACTICAL STYLE CARBINES: COWBOY STYLE CARBINES

5.7x28mm FN (Lever action, pump action, ect.):

.30 Carbine .32 H&R Magnum

380 ACP .32-20 WCF

9mm Luger .38 Special

40 S&W .357 Magnum

10mm Auto .38-40 WCF

45 ACP .41 Magnum

.44 Special

.44-40 WCF

Also, carbines chambered for the .256 Winchester magnum and 9mm Largo as chambered in the "Spanish Destroyer Police Carbine" may be used.

Please note that at this time, carbine use is limited to the above calibers. As always, YOU are responsible for insuring that the weapon you are using is approved for use on the range. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, DON'T USE IT! If you have questions about what you may use, please contact a member of the executive board. Use of un approved weapons will result in action against your membership and you will be responsible for any damages incurred. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, DON'T USE IT!

Looks like it would be OK. But you can email them, they answer emails quickly..http://[email protected]

While using the Taunton Rifle & Pistol indoor range today, I was told that the outdoor range opened today. I haven't personally confirmed it but that's what they were telling new members in the orientation today. I hope it's true...

Dozer, I think it was me that told you that yesterday, I was in the orientation and I spoke to 2 guys about the opening.

During the orientation, the club president explained that the range had been voluntarily closed while the incident was being investigated. As of yesterday morning, he had no indication that what struck the car came from the range or that it was even a bullet. He then said based on that, he was reopening the range effective yesterday morning. I see the website hasn't been updated yet, but the president personally told me and about 35 other new members.

Here's the story:
http://www.tauntongazette.com/topst...pect-bullet-struck-car-on-Route-24-in-Raynham

More:
http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/...struck-by-bullet-on-Route-24-near-rifle-range

Follow up:
http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/x593980252/Officials-still-puzzled-by-bullet

I'm betting it was a ricochet that caused the issue. I have been at my club in Maine, and heard the zing of a ricochet flying over my head. A single stone in the back stop will send a bullet upward, and for some great distance, in a direction other than was originally fired. Some clubs are now covering impact berms with shredded rubber, or at least a thick layer of bark mulch. The impacting bullet will go through the rubber or mulch, but even if it hits a rock, it isn't coming back out. Something for your club to think about spending the money on.

Broken link. Is this the one where the stupid douchebags bought a house next to a range that has been there for 50 years and then b*tched about the noise? God I wish we could book these people on the Titanic!

Last edited:
Dozer, I think it was me that told you that yesterday, I was in the orientation and I spoke to 2 guys about the opening.

Well, it was nice meeting you and welcome to the club. I'm sure you will enjoy the facilities and the people.

Back
Top Bottom