Where can I try/rent these guns?

I am in the market for a small "extreme CCW" firearm. (some call them "mouseguns"). I do not believe Manchester Firing Line offers these for rent (or at least not all of them).

I carry a FS M&P40 fairly easily in the winter/fall, but I am finding it difficult and uncomfortable in the summer with less layers and more activity.

These are some of the pieces I am considering, moslty .380 and 9mm (in no particular order):

Ruger - LCP *
Kahr - P-380 *
Walther - PPK
Walther - PK380
Sig - P238
S&W - Bodyguard 380
Kahr - PM9
Sig - P232
S&W - M&Pc

Does anyone know the best place to go (preferrably around the north shore) to range test these? I know I can go to a few local shops to at least handle them, but I would like to feel comfortable shooting the gun prior to settling on one. I don't know if anyone out there knows of this magic range/testing facility, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. With some of these guys weighing in at under a pound, I feel I really need to feel the recoil and handling while shooting one to make my decision.

Any help would be apprciated. I know several guys have a few of these guns (namely Kahr PM9s and the LCRs and so far most of the reviews all seem to be about the same).

Thanks in advance.

I would be Jim at Manchester Firing lanes has most of these. great Guy and the new place should be pretty good. Definitely worth the ride.

I have been there a few times over the past few years and I agree its a great place. I just never noticed these smaller guns in his cases. I actually PMd him the other day, but unfortunately have not heard back yet as he does not appear to have signed on for a few days.

I am in the market for a small "extreme CCW" firearm. (some call them "mouseguns"). I do not believe Manchester Firing Line offers these for rent (or at least not all of them).

I carry a FS M&P40 fairly easily in the winter/fall, but I am finding it difficult and uncomfortable in the summer with less layers and more activity.

These are some of the pieces I am considering, moslty .380 and 9mm (in no particular order):

Ruger - LCP *
Kahr - P-380 *
Walther - PPK
Walther - PK380
Sig - P238
S&W - Bodyguard 380
Kahr - PM9
Sig - P232
S&W - M&Pc

Does anyone know the best place to go (preferrably around the north shore) to range test these? I know I can go to a few local shops to at least handle them, but I would like to feel comfortable shooting the gun prior to settling on one. I don't know if anyone out there knows of this magic range/testing facility, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. With some of these guys weighing in at under a pound, I feel I really need to feel the recoil and handling while shooting one to make my decision.

Any help would be apprciated. I know several guys have a few of these guns (namely Kahr PM9s and the LCRs and so far most of the reviews all seem to be about the same).

Thanks in advance.

If you are ever in the area of the Braintree club you can try my LCP and LCR.

Would be interested in seeing the Bodyguard in action.

I believe Millers Falls Gun Shack has the pk380 in stock. On Gunbroker listed for $333... I got one Tuesday. Just got ammo today, si its still a virgin...I think there is a Ruger LCR also.

try the ones you can at MFL, sign up for the next NES shoot. We would all be happy to help you with the rest of your quest. The last shoot I went to, I could not look at a gun without someone offering to let me shoot it. What a great helpful bunch of guys

i'm only going to comment on ones I've owned:

Ruger - LCP * n/a
Kahr - P-380 * n/a
Walther - PPK - POS, STAY AWAY. I'm sure someone has a jewel that never failed them, but the general concensous is they are POS... the ones made in ME by S&W.
Walther - PK380 - POS, see PPK.
Sig - P238 n/a
S&W - Bodyguard 380 n/a
Kahr - PM9 n/a - i did fondle one though, too small for my hands
Sig - P232 n/a
S&W - M&Pc - great guns, the only thing that pissed me off was the cripple mags on the 9c. so i'd get that "rattle" round syndrom as the rounds wouldn't always seat right in the mag. otherwise, 100% reliable

Walther PPS - i picked on up in lieu of the pk380, i got the 9mm with a 8rd and 7rd mag. out-freaking-standing. the trigger IS horrible, but managable... eventually i need to do two things:

1. change the disconnector from the "H" to the "S" model (affects trigger pull)
2. find a 6rd mag for pocket carry. i can manage pocket carry with the 7rd mag "most of the time"... but it's borderline printing (not that i care). IWB and it's invisible...

[smile] my normal CC's are either a Glock 23 or full size 1911 [shocked] -because i'm funny like that.

Thanks for the input. THe walthers were not high up on my personal ratings, but I through them in there because a guy I know claims he had one and based on what I am looking for he said I should consider the Walthers a contender (he specifically had the ppk).

I have been meaning to get to a NES shoot, I will have to make it more of a point especially when in the market for a new gun for the collection. I have actually gone and shot one on one with a few members here and just that experience was a good time, so I can imagine the experience I would have with 100 members at a big shoot!

Because I own a M&P the M&Pc was the first choice, but Based on my work, I am almost leaning towards a pocket carry because I move around a lot and my shirt always rides up so I dont want to be scaring anyone by brandishing. I like the thinner profiles of say the Kahr and the Ruger. I will have to look into the SR9-C and the Keltec

My current EDC BUG is an LCP with a Crimson Trace LaserGuard. Conceals well, shoots well and the company has an outstanding reputation for customer service. I find it a good choice for carrying in my front pants pocket on my non-dominant side.

The Bodyguard 380 is not yet available. I am planning to acquire one for evaluation. It has real sights and will lock back on last round. I'm indifferent to external safety. The laser activation is a concern, but I'll have to try it to make my final judgment.

I would vote for a P3AT as a write in. I carry a P32 (same dimensions as a P3AT). My wife is not even aware I carry it, she has put her hand on my leg, brushing against it and only thought it was my cell. If my wife can touch it and not notice it, 99% of casual observers will be oblivious. in a cheap uncle mikes pocket holster, it is completely invisible.

Dan, I've got a M&P 40c, Walther PPK/S (a real one from W. Germany circ 1970), Kel-tec P3AT, and Taurus Millenium Pro PT745 that you are welcome to try. Can meet up at the club if you want to give them a test drive.

I know we shot your 40c when I met with you to check out the comp-tac holster, and that was originally the way I was going to go. I am thinking now something a little easier to conceal, maybe in a pocket, would be my best option for my line of work without scaring any of my clients. I found myself leaving my FS M&P40 locked up in the car as I walked to night meetings from strange parking lots just so I wouldn't catch a hairy eyeball from clients.

I would definitely be up for trying them out, especially the Taurus, are you going to be available this weekend at all?

Thanks to the generosity of Zerodown I have been able to rate some of my original trial list and help narrow it down (and expand it at the same time)

Ruger - LCP
Kahr - P-380
Walther - PK380
Sig - P238
S&W - Bodyguard 380
Kahr - PM9
Sig - P232
S&W - M&Pc
Taurus - TCP

Tried (ratings- out of 5 stars in my opinion) :
3/5 Kel-Tec - P3AT < Friggin TINY, a little snappy and hard to really grip, but no doubt VERY concealable
4/5 Taurus - PT745 < First Taurus ever shot and I must say I Loved the gun, but a little larger than I was looking for, though now I think I need to look at the Taurus TCP
2/5 Walther - PPK < Decent, not my favorite, my grip felt awkward, but it handled recoil well
3/5 S&W - M&Pc < I love the M&P line, but again slightly too big for the concealability I am going for

Thanks again Jeff!

Walther - PPK - POS, STAY AWAY. I'm sure someone has a jewel that never failed them, but the general concensous is they are POS... the ones made in ME by S&W.
Yup, that's me.

I've had two Interarms PPKs that have been very reliable. Dziner, you're welcome to try them any time. I also have a Kahr K9 that I think is a fantastic gun, and you're welcome to try that, too. PM me and we can set up a time.

hey ross... got your reading glasses handy? [wink]

[laugh] it's cool.

Too bad I'm a while away. I'd be more than happy letting ya pop off a few rounds out of my PK380.. For what it's worth I like mine. I carry w/ Federal Hydroshoks..

Back
Top Bottom