• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can I shoot

Just got my first gun. Now I need a place to shoot. Any suggestions. I live in the webster area. Looking for just a range but if I have to join a sportsman club for a good range so be it. Any help would be great. Did the Google search but it really doesn't give a lot of info

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It comes down to how far you're willing to drive. I just did a quick google search and found quite a few sportsman's clubs within 20 miles of you. When selecting a club, don't just look at what you shoot now, but what you'll be shooting in the future. Make sure that they have the facilities to accommodate your future needs. Are you mainly a handgun shooter, or rifle? That will really determine where and what to look for.

I was thinking about the wallum lake rod and gun club. Anyone ever been there? Thanks again for the feed back.

I was thinking about the wallum lake rod and gun club. Anyone ever been there? Thanks again for the feed back.

I was going to suggest Wallum Lake. It's one of the few clubs in RI that doesn't have a waiting list. It's a good club, but they lean heavily towards trap. I was going to become a member there until I found an opening at a club closer to me. I belong to Manville Sportsmans Club in Manville RI, but we have an approximately 1 year wait to get in. If I wasn't there I'd be at Wallum Lake.

I don't know that area but congrats on getting your first gun. When you find a good club, shoot as often as you can.

if a club is full just get on their waiting list and keep bugging them....they will let you in.

suggest taking some shooting courses as well, particularly focusing on safe handling if you intend to join a private club. any decent private club will throw out members who violate safety rules, so it's worth getting those down pat.

You could try the National Shooting Sports Foundation Where to Shoot app for Android or Apple IOS. It will list all the clubs and commercial ranges within a radius you set.

I can make your dreams come true...I have access to an 'anything goes' place to shoot in your neck of the woods. PM me a little about yourself...maybe some pictures of your girlfriend? Maybe we can meet up at Carls Oxford Diner for breakfast some weekend and I'll take you to my spot if you don't give me a bad vibe.

- - - Updated - - -

P.s. What a tease...you never even told us what kind of gun you bought.

Wallum lake may lean towards trap but they have good rifle and pistol facilities and are wrapping up a new indoor range.

Even if you don't join check out the matches - they've got one most every weekend 3 seasons a year, maybe 4 with the new indoor range.

Thanks for the feedback. I went to firearms in holliston today. That's a haul bad I had an itchy trigger finger. Also for those who asked my first is a vp9

I can make your dreams come true...I have access to an 'anything goes' place to shoot in your neck of the woods. PM me a little about yourself...maybe some pictures of your girlfriend? Maybe we can meet up at Carls Oxford Diner for breakfast some weekend and I'll take you to my spot if you don't give me a bad vibe.

- - - Updated - - -

P.s. What a tease...you never even told us what kind of gun you bought.

What kind of distance range we talking? I'm over here too now. (but I belong to a couple clubs)

Wallum lake has lots available, Skeet, Trap, Rifle, Pistol, Steel shoots and sometimes they set up a sporting clays event too.
The membership fee is high but it's a good club.
The post below reminded me that if you do work hours you can reduce your membership fee substantially depending on the amount of hours you put in.

Last edited:
Just a note from a former board of director of a local club ( and 30+ year member of several.).

Consider what you are wiling to put into it. Places like MA firearms school are great places if you just want to shoot. Your fee covers everything and everything is paid for. With most (rod&) gun clubs, there is an expectation that you will actually become part of the club by getting involved with it's operation, events and less fun things like maintenance. If your not willing to do this, then your a burden on YOUR club as dues alone do not cover all costs ( let alone profit.) BTW, this is not a bad thing, you'll be amazed at what you learn and the friends you make when you get involved in YOUR club.

There's a state reg capping gun club membership?

No.

Some clubs, for one reason or another, cap their roster a X people, others don't.

At my club, we have ~800 members. about 10-15% use the facilities (not all of them) on a "regular" basis (I'm on the Trap and indoor pistol range more than the archery, rifle, and skeet fields; I almost never use the pond). About 30 are "core" members - committee Chairs or Members, Officers, etc. Many that "wear one hat" wear more than one, as well. Therefore, the dues of the 85% that don't use it too much, cover a lot of the costs. They're paying for access, not usage.

We're taking apps.

Other Clubs cap the rolls so as not to become "diluted" by outsiders, too quickly, or because they're worried that too many more people will make it difficult for the present members to get range time.

I've never had to wait for the range at my club, except for Trap, and that's part of the game.

No.

Some clubs, for one reason or another, cap their roster a X people, others don't.

At my club, we have ~800 members. about 10-15% use the facilities (not all of them) on a "regular" basis (I'm on the Trap and indoor pistol range more than the archery, rifle, and skeet fields; I almost never use the pond). About 30 are "core" members - committee Chairs or Members, Officers, etc. Many that "wear one hat" wear more than one, as well. Therefore, the dues of the 85% that don't use it too much, cover a lot of the costs. They're paying for access, not usage.

We're taking apps.

Other Clubs cap the rolls so as not to become "diluted" by outsiders, too quickly, or because they're worried that too many more people will make it difficult for the present members to get range time.

I've never had to wait for the range at my club, except for Trap, and that's part of the game.

This is the same at my club. It is rare that you have to wait for a bench or spot on a range. I can't remember when it was that I had to.
At our meetings I see quite a few members that I've never seen anywhere except meetings.
I'm also one of the people that you see at the club regularly, including meetings and work parties.

Back
Top Bottom