• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can I purchase a new M&P 40?

Wanted to know if anyone has any in stock? I called FS yesterday and they said they don't know when they will be getting any in.

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Got one! I"m a proud new owner of a M&P 40.

Picked it up at The Shooters Box yesterday.

Now all I have to do is send it off to Burnells for a trigger job and some new sights.

Eric

It has the silly million pound trigger on it. It's pretty bad.

But I'll be sending it out to have that corrected :)

It has the silly million pound trigger on it. It's pretty bad.

But I'll be sending it out to have that corrected :)

All you need to do is order a sear assembly from Brownells for $25 and you'll have the 6.5lb "normal" trigger...

Better yet, I'll be sending it to Burwell Gunsmithing for $50, they'll change it to a 3 1/2 pound pull.

I'm planning on shooting USPSA this season. I'll also be changing out the sights, and getting the Burwell stipling on the backstrap. I've read this guy is the best when it comes to the M&P.

Better yet, I'll be sending it to Burwell Gunsmithing for $50, they'll change it to a 3 1/2 pound pull.

Actually it will cost you $75.00 to have a Mass. trigger done by Burwell. Here is what he told me, "I can do a trigger job on a mass compliant gun but I need to replace the sear block which is an extra $25. SO that brings the total to $75 for the standard trigger job."

Actually it will cost you $75.00 to have a Mass. trigger done by Burwell. Here is what he told me, "I can do a trigger job on a mass compliant gun but I need to replace the sear block which is an extra $25. SO that brings the total to $75 for the standard trigger job."

Yep- I've heard that at least one of the ways that the wonderful MA guns get their impressive trigger is a more robust spring/plunger under the sear!

If money isn't an issue go to Dan- I've heard NOTHING but good things about him. Unfortunately the $75 trigger job goes up about $50 including overnight shipping both ways.

Your killing me............... But I did know that about the shipping. That's why I'm planning on doing more upgrades when I send it out to Dan than just the trigger job.

Still far cheaper than getting the Brazos 1911 Edge that I wanted.

And I must say from all I've read the M&P is a really nice gun.

Sorry Eric. I've "tweaked" my MP40 and can say that the trigger can be lightened quite a bit. It's a great gun... the 3 dot rear sights can be a pain- I'm just not used to them. Are you anywhere near the northshore? I'd like to see first hand how Dan's work comes out. I have a couple of .40 S&Ws but the M&P seems to be snappier than my Sig 229 for sure. Ergonomics are nice though.

I don't think you can go wrong with the M&P. Even if it were to cost $100 for a trigger job it still isn't a lot of money. To get a really good 1911 trigger you can expect to spend double or tripple that amount. With the M&P you can have a complete setup with 5 mags, a great trigger, new sights, and a few misc parts for around $850 vs. having the Brazos STI Edge with 5 mags for around $2500. So for a 3rd of the price you can get started. Not a bad deal at all. With these mods the gun will be desireable for resale and could be put towards the Brazos if you decided to go that route.

Northeast Shooters in Attleboro HAD one. They no longer do cuz I was the lucky buyer!! [smile]

The M&P is a good good gun with great ergonomics. BUT the trigger on it is a freakin monster!!

There is a quite ia bit of slack, and the massive pull is screwing up my shots.

All the instructors who test fired my M&P 40 were like [crying] . They said that the trigger was no good. I was shooting about a 3 inch groupings with the M&P 40, when my instructor said 'try this' as he handed me his colt 1911. That 3 inch grouping changed to 1/2 an inch grouping within 3 shots. [thinking]

Needless to say, the gun def. needs a trigger job, but over all its a great, awesome looking gun.

I'm starting to think that the MA. compliant M&P is a over $$ sigma. It sounds like SW put a sigma trigger in the m&p just to get the A.G off there back for sales in MA. Just my 2cents.

M&P work by Dan from Burwell Gunsmithing

Has anyone had their trigger worked on by dan? How does the trigger feel now? What happens if i get the gun back and find that something is wrong?

I know that i cant ship via USPS. Anything special i need to do to ship via UPS?

Help appreciated

Thanks

ALTERNATIVE TO PRICEY TRIJICON SIGHTS

Hey guys

I was thinking of having the sights on my M&P40 replaced with trijicon tritium ones to better aiming in the dark. But being the creative genius that I am (jk), the following idea occured to me:

Instead of replacing my current stock sights with expensive tritium ones that cost about at least $100, plus installation brining the toal to ~ $150 why not paint them with glow in the dark paint? It's worth a try, and in case it dosen't work, Trijicon is always there to take my money. :))

So in order to find a nice glow in the dark paint pen, I googled "glow inthe dark paint" (from now on will be abbreviatted as GITDP throught the post) and found a company that makes some of the brightest GITDP on the face of the planet.

In addition to the paint, they acutally have a gun sight application listed on their website!!

Check it out:
http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/gun-sights.aspx

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

Trijicon Sights:

PROS:
Ive never used them before, but I imagine theyre quite good during the day (I know they dont glo during the day, but the sights are probably clearly visible in broad daylight. Had they not been I would have heard people complain about it)

CONS:
1. The main purpose of these sights is to aid aiming in the dark, other than that they server absolutely no other purpose

2. Theyre quite expnensive

3. Theyre average life is about the same as the average life of the paint.

4. They're radioactive

____*___*___*___*___*________*___*___*___*___*___*

GITD Paint:

PROS:
1. If all goes well they serve the same exact function as the trijicon sights. By adding or removing layers of paint, u can actually control the intensity of the light emitted. And from what I hear, they are very bright, even more than the Trijicons sights.

2. About $20 to get the paint and some personal labor VS $150 + Shipping? Hmmmmmmmm

3. They last for a LONG time and hey, if they ever get dim, just paint em on again!

4. Environment safe

CONS:
1. I dont think this counts as a con cuz I havent tested it yet, but my concern is the visibilty of the sights in day light. The paint is translucent in color and not white. I dont know how that would affect daytime visibility
Even if the sights are somewhat visible, ill be happy. I will contact the paint manufacturer to inquire about this.

2. The paint needs to be exposed to light everynow and then. For example if u store ur pistol in a closed box thru which no light can enter, and took it out at night, the sights would not glow. But anyone carrying a pistol usually has it exposed to some sort of light at some point of time. I dont think this will be an issue

That being said, I'll try this out and let you guys know. In the mean time feel free todo your own research and do let us know if anyone has any comments, thoughts or experience regarding this.

L8ter

The paint needs to be exposed to light everynow and then. For example if u store ur pistol in a closed box thru which no light can enter, and took it out at night, the sights would not glow. But anyone carrying a pistol usually has it exposed to some sort of light at some point of time. I dont think this will be an issue
We'll have to agree to disagree about that. Most of the time, your gun will be in a safe or lockbox, or in your holster. In your holster, the front sight is completely protected from light, and the front sight is far more important for marksmanship than the rear.

Glow in the dark paint requires time in the sun to recharge and it doesn't hold a charge that long.

I've had a gun with glow in the dark paint on the sights. I was not impressed.

Back
Top Bottom