Where Can I Learn About Ballistics?

Is there a consensus "best" book, online course or anything else that I can use to learn more about ballistics than what's in reloading books? I have the Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition book and while it has a few pages on pressure, velocity and such it's not nearly enough for me to really understand it so some of the data in the charts doesn't make sense to me. I'm not really seeing anything on Amazon. Right now I'm interested in handguns vs. rifles if that makes any difference.

Applied ballistics for long range shooting.
Brian Litz.
This is more external ballistics. Internal ballistics is a serious deep topic. He touches a little on that in the book.
You can get the book on amazon or direct from Brian. It comes with a ballistic calculator program for your computer too.

Great read. Super easy to understand. Tons of resources in the back of the book. This book kept me awake wanting to read more, not like the first ballistics book I read that just put me to sleep.

Internal ballistics is a serious deep topic........ i found some stuff out on the web. Once it started reading like a chalkboard @ MIT i was lost.
here is just a small sample of what i came across
http://www.mindspring.com/~sfaber1/powley.htm
I decided I just need to know what powder and bullet to make my guns go bang instead of BOOM!

Just a suggestion.

There are 3 kinds of ballistics.

Internal deals with the interaction of the ammunition and the firearm. Pressures, things like that.

External deals with how a round does once it leaves the barrel. Ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, drop, wind drift, etc.

Terminal deals with how a round interacts with what it hits. Expansion, penetration and that kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom