Where can I find a small gun safe for sale?

I've checked the gun stores. AG G&A and Blue Northern only have Stack-On "security cabinets" and they have to be ordered. Four Seasons has some large one's in stock but I'm looking for something smaller with a combination lock that will hold 5-8 long guns, a half dozen pistols and some ammo.

I've tried locksmiths - again a special order with a long lead time - tried Dick's Sporting goods (nothing in stock) and even The Sport's Authority because I remember seeing them back in the paintball section several years ago - but not anymore.

I can order one delivered to the house from Dick's but the shipping for a $200 safe is $100. Hardly worth it. I saw one in the Classifieds here but it's $400 and the fellow live 90 miles from me.

Any suggestions?

Blue Northern trading post hads '"Stack On" cabinets for not a lot of money....that should work for you...or do a search oin yahoo or google for gun safes...

There's a safe dealer in the Allston Brighton area near the turnpike (I'll try to find their name) that often has gun safes with slight scratches or blemishes on the floor.

If you don't mind giving your $ to a chain store, Dick's sporting goods always has a diverse in stock selection of safes/cabinets.

They were at the Marlboro show last weekend, and they had a show special price of $599 on the 17-cubic-foot Liberty Centurian model (24"W x 60" H x 20" D, 18-gun capacity, 420 lb). He said they would honor the show price for a week or so. I was told they have them in stock. I think I'm going to get one this weekend.

Wal Mart Stack On or Sentry safes. They're basically the same thing and can be modified for extra security by riveting on a hasp and using a padlock.
You may have to hunt around at a few stores for one, but theres usually one laying around somewhere.
$90 is an average price.

The Walmart in Portsmouth, New Hampshire has had a 10 gun Sentry on sale for 184.99 for several weeks now. It's a red tag clearance. It's a real safe, not a cabinet

M4M, the Sentry Safes I saw at Wal-Mart aren't just storage cabinets, like Stack ons. They are a real safe, with steel bar locks and a built in tumbler lock. They weigh almost #300, some of them more. They are quite a bit more secure than a Stack on unit. I paid about $200 for one of mine recently in Taunton, MA

M4M, the Sentry Safes I saw at Wal-Mart aren't just storage cabinets, like Stack ons. They are a real safe, with steel bar locks and a built in tumbler lock. They weigh almost #300, some of them more. They are quite a bit more secure than a Stack on unit. I paid about $200 for one of mine recently in Taunton, MA

Both Sentry and Stack On sell the fire proof safe models as well as the sheet metal cabinets. I have 2 sheet metal cabinets side by side, Sentry and Stack On, that look almost identical.
I saw one in the Taunton Wal Mart recently like you mentioned and almost bought it except I have no idea where I could fit another safe.[rolleyes]

Stack-On also makes real safes (both fire and non-fire). I have one of their 16gun safes. It's lighter by about 100 pounds than a comparable sentry (about 200ish) but that's the reason I was able to get it into the house solo. It's a little rough around the edges (locking mechanism is sort of rough and balky) but it does the job at a fair price. I weighed it down and bolted it to the floor as well.

+1 for Eastern Security Safe in Mendon. They delivered (and installed) the safe I bought at the gun show a couple of days ago. It was worth every penny! They were very professional, courteous, and polite. They even fixed my stairs before trying to bring the safe in to make sure they didn't have any problems. I will never buy another safe from anyone else. I was worried that a couple of goons would show up to deliver the safe but that was not the case. Mike (the guy working at the show) showed up with others and did it himself. I can't say enoughg about the great job they did and the care they took to make sure nothing got damaged.
Give them a call, you won't be disappointed.
-Cuz.

Also, I believe Kittery has their scratch sale this weekend. Usually some good buys.
We were there last weekend and saw the prices were already marked down. The safes on the floor are not for sale. If you buy one they are still unopened and secured on a pallet. I bought one at last years sale and I was unaware they had scratched ones available. They had a Browning safe there that was 50% bigger than mine and only $100 more than what I paid for mine.

I just got back from Eastern Security Safe with a 637-pound chunk of metal in the back of the minivan. I only have two long guns but I know how guns tend to reproduce when left alone in a dark place. I wonder what kind of love child will come from my AK and my father's old double-barrel shotgun? Now to figure out how to get it out of the car and down the stairs into the basement. Looks like I know what I'll be doing the rest of the weekend. You really find out who your true friends are when you need to move a safe. :)

They have a good selection, their sales guys know their stuff, and, from what I can tell, their prices are in line with their peers. They wouldn't budge too much on the price, although I was able to get a $50 electronic keypad and a dehumidifier thrown in with my 23-cubic foot safe. They do have a sale every July, so if you want to plan ahead and save some money that's when you should buy. They said they get used safes in quite often, but they're typically gone within a day or two, so call or stop by and get your name on the list. A good safe does seem to hold its value pretty well.

Anyone know where I can get a kit or the necessary parts to put some lights inside? I looked at a light setup on a floor model they had and it looked to be a simple magnetic switch, some of that light rope stuff, and some velcro plastic pieces. It was a $250 option on the showroom model - I think it could be done for less than $40 in parts.

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get a kit or the necessary parts to put some lights inside? I looked at a light setup on a floor model they had and it looked to be a simple magnetic switch, some of that light rope stuff, and some velcro plastic pieces. It was a $250 option on the showroom model - I think it could be done for less than $40 in parts.
I ran an extension cord with three plugs thru the hole in the safe rather than the cord for the dehumidifier. That gives me 2 outlets left after plugging in the dehumidifier. I bought 24 ft of rope light at Home Depot for $15. It came with clips which I attached to the bottom of some shelves to light up some areas of the safe. I didn't want all the shelfs lit. I do not have a switch right now, and have to plug it in manually. If someone comes up with a switch I'd be interested in getting one.
-Cuz.

caution, warning

Markus,

please be very careful, take precautions, gun ownership is a serious disease.

Those 2 guns are going to be lonely and will want to start families.

JimB[grin]

locksmith ( I'll get anything 4 cost)

Hey I'm not working, soooo I'm able to help You out. Just tell me make & modle # & I probably can get it 4 cost. Look around & let me know what your looking 4!

taplight2.jpg

a couple tap lights work good.... they make tiny led ones too great for totally sealed fire proof safes.. no holes needed to plug in...battery operated.

Ware Gun Shop

If you have not found the small safe yet, you could try the Ware Gun Shop on route 9 in Ware. They used to have a fairly large inventory of safes. I bought mine there and was happy with the quality and price. Be aware, they do not deliver.

Back
Top Bottom