• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can a "Joe Schmoe" shoot 1000 Yards?

Hi
My Brother just got a 30.06 "Sniper Rifle" that he want's to shoot at 1000 yards. Our club is only 100 yards. Is there any place regular guys like us can go and shoot 1000 Yards?

He mentioned the SIG academy, which he may do because with the fee he said you get instruction.

What else is out there?

Rent a private plane. Fly over your regular range. 1,000, 2,000, 5,000 and 10,000 ranges are easy to replicate. ;)

EDIT

When you are headed NB on 495 in Raynham, as you crest the hill at 138, you can see the Bay St (Bay Rd is proper, but Taunton likes grade inflation) exit. That's 2 miles.

I've often thought, "Wow. What would it be like to use this as a shooting range?? 2 miles realtively flat and very straight."

No, I'm not recommending setting up your shooting bench between 138 and Bay. Just something I think about, in a post-apocalyptic way.

Realistically, without using someone's farm or something, walk-on is never happening. Any of the long distance facilities past 300 yards will require membership and qual unless you're being hosted by someone else, etc. Getting past 300 is "serious business" in this part of the country. Not to mention if he's never run it
past 100 without some serious advice/skills theres no way in hell he's going to be getting anything resembling hits at 1000... past 300 things start to get "interesting" and thats being polite.

-Mike

Dude, he's got a "sniper rifle" so he's good to go. Some steel cased Tulammo 30-06 and a Barska scope and he'll be cloverleafing the X all day long.

Barska? Why u overpay? I use ncstar. Chinese Optics Guy (aka COG) says it is equivalent to Swarovski for .02% of the cost!!!!!

"NCStar. Much optic. Such low price. Wow!"

Barska? Why u overpay? I use ncstar. Chinese Optics Guy (aka COG) says it is equivalent to Swarovski for .02% of the cost!!!!!

"NCStar. Much optic. Such low price. Wow!"
I actually wrote NCStar and then changed it, haha. Maybe he can use NCstar rings.

Hi
My Brother just got a 30.06 "Sniper Rifle" that he want's to shoot at 1000 yards. Our club is only 100 yards. Is there any place regular guys like us can go and shoot 1000 Yards?

He mentioned the SIG academy, which he may do because with the fee he said you get instruction.

What else is out there?
So let me get this straight......you only have access to a 100 yard range currently......and you want to go straight to 1000 yards? You realize how that's just not going to happen......RIGHT?!?!

Drop at 1000 yards is -375.5708 inches with a 1.67 flight time. #wcgw
Not to mention cross wind.

Many years ago I had the pleasure of supporting an infantry battalion as a forward support company commander. First sergeant and I were going above and beyond in making sure the scout platoon was getting what they needed. Scout platoon sergeant invited us to come by the designated marksmanship range for some free lessons. They let us shoot the ar10 rifles.....with a spotter at our side of course. I get behind the rifle......spotter set me up in a good supported position. Told me he had the elevation alread adjusted forf800 yards but there is a cross wind left to right.....do me a favor so you can see what that means and give me a center mass hold on that steel at 800 yards and fire. I did after about 5 minutes looking through the scope just to FIND the steel at 800 yards.....and the impact was 20 feet to the right! He then helped me adjust my hold from there and on shot 3 I nailed it.

My point......without some serious equipment....and some training.....Jo schmo ain't gonna have much fun with his 30-06 just launching bullets at 1000 yards if he's never fired past 100.

Last edited:
Realistically, without using someone's farm or something, walk-on is never happening. Any of the long distance facilities past 300 yards will require membership and qual unless you're being hosted by someone else, etc. Getting past 300 is "serious business" in this part of the country. Not to mention if he's never run it
past 100 without some serious advice/skills theres no way in hell he's going to be getting anything resembling hits at 1000... past 300 things start to get "interesting" and thats being polite.

-Mike

Well, what if you shoot ten rounds at 100 yards?

Go to some remote spot on the ocean and anchor a raft with your target on it 1000 yds out to sea. If you can somehow measure that. Just kidding. Jack.
Emphasis on remote. You definitely don't want to have any firearms on the surface of the ocean within 500 ft of Logan...

Entertainment value of this thread so far: 70%

Informative value of this thread so far: 10%

Some of us want to push our rifles to the limit. I’ll keep laughing, but I dream of going really long too. Sometimes you have to try and fail for understanding.

Entertainment value of this thread so far: 70%

Informative value of this thread so far: 10%

Some of us want to push our rifles to the limit. I’ll keep laughing, but I dream of going really long too. Sometimes you have to try and fail for understanding.

Then take an HP/long range rifle class or start hanging around with guys that shoot CMP/NRA highpower... easiest way to get moving in that
direction. Hell some clubs probably have intro classes or something for HP rifle.

-Mike

1000 yard ranges are a bit of a rare commodity. It's only a small subset of competition shooters that are going to have need for such a thing.

If I were looking for a range like that, I'd start looking into Palma and F-class competitions. Any range that goes out to 1000 yards is likely hosting such competitions and known within those circles.

To be honest, someone who has never shot out past 100 yards would be better off looking for a 300 yard range.

Then take an HP/long range rifle class or start hanging around with guys that shoot CMP/NRA highpower... easiest way to get moving in that
direction. Hell some clubs probably have intro classes or something for HP rifle.

-Mike

I’m not sure about the op. I am thinking scoped rifle ranging a target at unknown distance and attempting to make a first round hit rather then a giant paper bullseye. I’m thinking in competitive parallels to PRS. I’m not saying high power is not of value with regards to fundamentals. It depends on what your end goal is. High power is geared towards known ranges. My personal motivation is unknown distance first round hits. I think that is an interesting challenge. I am not disparaging high power. I just don’t think it is a requirement dependending and what you are after.

High power is a valuable way to develop fundamentals. It is not the only way to get to PRS or ELR type shooting. A long range shooter making a pit stop in high power would be a valuable learning experience and probably an easy stepping stone.

There is no reason someone with 30-06 could not take it to 1000 if they are motivated and willing to learn. It might be easier to go from 22LR to .223 HP to long range secret squirrel sniper. I just don’t think NRA high power is the blessed gateway to everything long range.

I’m not sure about the op. I am thinking scoped rifle ranging a target at unknown distance and attempting to make a first round hit rather then a giant paper bullseye. I’m thinking in competitive parallels to PRS. I’m not saying high power is not of value with regards to fundamentals. It depends on what your end goal is. High power is geared towards known ranges. My personal motivation is unknown distance first round hits. I think that is an interesting challenge. I am not disparaging high power. I just don’t think it is a requirement dependending and what you are after.

Not saying its a requirement at all but even a half assed attempt at doing HP would likely equip the OP with enough knowledge that would make the entire thing a lot less frustrating. I'm not saying the guy has to go out there and earn a bunch of points and badges before he can shoot at long range.

He's also far more likely to find a bunch of people shooting HP at this club or that, unless one of the clubs mentioned in this thread has a lot of people sitting around shooting glass equipped rifles at long distances...

Or at least the OPs brother should connect with someone else that's already doing what he wants to do. It'll save him a lot of wasted
ammunition.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom