• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where are the rifle guys

So I have been looking into trying something different than handguns at the range. I am new to rifles and would like to get into shooting longer ranges seeing that I have a restricted class A I figured get some more use out of my license. I wanted to ask you guys for advice before asking someone who "knows" what they are talking about. I am on a budget so not looking to spend crazy money to get started, I have been looking into the m&p 15 sport rifle at four seasons in Woburn brand new they have them advertised for $599. So I am opened to any suggestions from you experienced rifle guys, thank you in advance.

What Range will you be shooting at ? I shoot mostly bolt action rifle, off a bench. My son shoots 5.56 and seems to enjoy the AR platform rifle. actually I also enjoy shooting 22LR at long range. the biggest challenge with the 22LR is the wind. also my larger rifles have heavy recoil so the smaller caliber is a joy to shoot. If it were me I would try to get a 5.56 chamber that way you will be able to shoot surplus ammo in 5.56 also 223. Remember you can shoot 223 in a 5.56 but you cannot shoot 5.56 in a 223 chamber. the AR style rifle has light recoil, but does have a good bark.

The range I'm a member at has three types of ranges your typical handgun which I believe is 10 and 20 yards, then a rifle/shotgun which is 100 an 200 yards I believe and the last one is long range up to 500 yards. I figured I would start with the ar 5.56 then eventually get a scope and a few upgrades to go longer range but like I said I'm new to rifles so not sure if there would be a more practical way to start besides a .22LR

Second for Appleseed. Forget the riflescope.. Shooting iron sights will serve you well for distances beyond what the vast majority of New England ranges can support.

Highly recommend you consider obtaining a Garand from the CMP.

Consider getting a Ruger 10/22, or if want an AR, consider getting a M&P 15-22. It has all of the same controls, and functions just like a regular .223 version AR, but is super cheap to shoot. I have the 15-22 myself, and it is by far my favorite range toy.

Bolt action:

Rmington 700, savage or CZ.

Also any Swedish or Argentine mauser would be a great buy. The Swedish is still use in competitions today, and the Argentine action is the best out there.

If you get a .22 get a Ruger 10/22T. That's their Target version with a nice Target barrel, and Target trigger and stock, for less than half the price of a custom built Target 10/22.

Back
Top Bottom