Where are people buying shotgun target loads these days?

I shoot clays of some sort a few times a week, and have been going through target loads at a good clip.

Guys that I shoot with who don't reload have been haunting Dick's Sporting Goods. On sale, Remington Gun Clubs or Federals could be had for $5.00 box. When combined with their regular frequent flyer, funny money coupons, factory loads were almost cheaper than reloads.

As of 2020, Dick's is out of the guns and ammo business. They lost their minds and buckled to anti-2A morons, and are clearing out anything that you may be interested in. They will not be restocking. (And i will not be returning.)

Walmart (NH) and Cabelas (MA) see to be the only alternatives for retail, factory target loads. Neither of them make me very happy.

Any other ideas?

TSUSA

Organize a group buy from a distributor?

Al’s in Derry NH .its been a long time but we would go up there and by many cases at once.

Stock up and learn to replenish that stock +2 you should not run out.
Back when I was shooting trap IF I was in walmart at least 1 4 pack of target loads went in the cart.

Most people I shoot with reload.
I don’t have time for that so I buy mine one of three places:
1) Cabelas (There’s one local so I go in a couple times a month and check out their prices so I can buy when the selection/price is good)
2) KTP
3) During MA state shoots, my club typically has a vendor show up with a tractor trailer that sells good stuff at a good deal.

The trick I’ve done that has seemed to work well for me so far is to always buy more than I need for the foreseeable future and to always buy earlier than I need; that way I’m never in a pinch.
Good luck!

Most people I shoot with reload.
I don’t have time for that so I buy mine one of three places:
1) Cabelas (There’s one local so I go in a couple times a month and check out their prices so I can buy when the selection/price is good)
2) KTP
3) During MA state shoots, my club typically has a vendor show up with a tractor trailer that sells good stuff at a good deal.

The trick I’ve done that has seemed to work well for me so far is to always buy more than I need for the foreseeable future and to always buy earlier than I need; that way I’m never in a pinch.
Good luck!
Buying at Cabellas in Ma. Sales Tax
KTP high prices and High sales tax
I have never seen a tractor trailer at the Ma. State Trap Shoot
There is a gentleman that comes to most of the local ATA trap shoots that sells ammo at a reasonable price

I shoot at Minuteman (SC) and Lowell Sportsman (trap). Maybe about 250 shells/per week.

And the people I shoot with either reload, or have been playing the Dick's sales. Up until now. Their $5/box sales, minus the silly coupon game, was hard to beat. And yes, when on sale I would "buy forward" so as to always have three more flats than I actually "needed" at any given time.

I have gotten in on a bulk buy--my poor Subaru complained bitterly about that. But even then the price per box was slightly more than playing DSG. My experience with Cabelas has been hit or miss--mostly miss since they got bought by BP. And they're too far away from me check regularly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I see a MEC Sizemaster in my immediate future.

Buying at Cabellas in Ma. Sales Tax
KTP high prices and High sales tax
I have never seen a tractor trailer at the Ma. State Trap Shoot
There is a gentleman that comes to most of the local ATA trap shoots that sells ammo at a reasonable price

Very helpful post.

I shoot clays of some sort a few times a week, and have been going through target loads at a good clip.

Guys that I shoot with who don't reload have been haunting Dick's Sporting Goods. On sale, Remington Gun Clubs or Federals could be had for $5.00 box. When combined with their regular frequent flyer, funny money coupons, factory loads were almost cheaper than reloads.

As of 2020, Dick's is out of the guns and ammo business. They lost their minds and buckled to anti-2A morons, and are clearing out anything that you may be interested in. They will not be restocking. (And i will not be returning.)

Walmart (NH) and Cabelas (MA) see to be the only alternatives for retail, factory target loads. Neither of them make me very happy.

Any other ideas?
A free state delivery address opens up several options you just need to get past buying 1 or 2 cased.
Depending on where you are you can find shops close to larger trap orientated clubs.
Its been a long tine but Heritage gun and coin was always a good source of ammo and shotshell reloading supplies

I shoot at Minuteman (SC) and Lowell Sportsman (trap). Maybe about 250 shells/per week.

And the people I shoot with either reload, or have been playing the Dick's sales. Up until now. Their $5/box sales, minus the silly coupon game, was hard to beat. And yes, when on sale I would "buy forward" so as to always have three more flats than I actually "needed" at any given time.

I have gotten in on a bulk buy--my poor Subaru complained bitterly about that. But even then the price per box was slightly more than playing DSG. My experience with Cabelas has been hit or miss--mostly miss since they got bought by BP. And they're too far away from me check regularly.

Reloading post the same challenges
Will you keep enough lead, wads ,primers on hand or will you be chasing lead down every 300 rounds or so

OP:

Reloading can save $, if you don't count the time you spend at the press, and are able to get components at a decent price. You need to do the math on the per-shell cost, and compare that to the cost of store-bought shells.

That said, GreenCobra's PW looks to be a good deal. They ARE tanks, and nice units. I have a couple.

I buy at Cabelas for my clays needs
I’m typically down in DE for work once or twice a year so I hit the cabelas there and grab a few flats at decent pricing but tax free.
TSUSA hardly never has any good deals on shotgun stuff.
a few years ago they had a good price on some 20G federal stuff so I stocked up then.

I recently got my first shotgun. While I sing TSUSA's praises, they offer nothing useful for birdshot so I am facing the same conundrum as OP.

I found one good online solution, but I won't post vendor info publicly.
Other than that, been going with LGS.

You shoot 10 rounds a week on the trap range and have a supply problem?

Target sports USA.....but a shit ton.

Dont bother reloading for 12 or 20. Its not worth your time unless your getting lead for cheap, say sub 35 a bag. I only reload 28 gauge now as its double the price.

Shells can be had all day long at cabellas or most other places for less than 6 a box.
TS does not have a good selection of shotgun target ammo. Asked them to start carrying it.

Trap guys go toDicks cause they can get them around 5 dollars a box. Paintingwith abroad brush, Trap guys are the cheapest fxcks I know, they spend thousands on guns but if you raise the price of trap or their ammo they cry like babies

I buy Rio 12 gauge #8 target loads for my club usually 25 cases at a time for $52-$56 per case delivered to the club. Free shipping on orders greater than $1000. A lot of local clubs do the same.

i think Rio’s are the cleanest and best of the discount shells, gun club shells are filthy.

Last edited:
For all the people saying TS, I have checked occasionally and never see any trap/skeet loads available for 12ga

You have to dig deep. I will say the only place I’ve seenonline that carries #9 shot is CTD. I reload, so it’s not a big deal to me, but you may want to look there.

TSUSA has Winchester AA in 12 and 20 gauges in #8 shot right now though.

I buy Rio 12 gauge #8 target loads for my club usually 25 cases at a time for $52-$56 per case delivered to the club. Free shipping on orders greater than $1000. A lot of local clubs do the same.
My club does an ammo and reloading component group buy twice a year. The delivery day is massive.

Dont bother reloading for 12 or 20. Its not worth your time unless your getting lead for cheap, say sub 35 a bag. I only reload 28 gauge now as its double the price.

Shells can be had all day long at cabellas or most other places for less than 6 a box.
TS does not have a good selection of shotgun target ammo. Asked them to start carrying it.

Trap guys go toDicks cause they can get them around 5 dollars a box. Paintingwith abroad brush, Trap guys are the cheapest fxcks I know, they spend thousands on guns but if you raise the price of trap or their ammo they cry like babies
I just looked at tsusa and federal 7.5 shot target loads are $73 a case. Works out to $4.56 a box right? Free shipping too.

I just looked at tsusa and federal 7.5 shot target loads are $73 a case. Works out to $4.56 a box right? Free shipping too.

Last I checked, a "case" was also called a "flat" and held (10) boxes. It makes the math easier, but less good, $-wise.

As for Trap shooters being cheap bastids that spend $$$$ on a gun, then complain about the price of ammo.....I shoot an old, $300 Browning A5 for registered targets! [laugh] Does that give me more, or less reason to whine?

Back
Top Bottom